Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

Rats

* An adult rat can squeeze into your home through a hole as small as the size of a quarter.

* Rats can live for up to 18 months, but most die before they are one year old.

* Rats have strong teeth that allow them to chew through glass, cinderblock, wire, aluminum and lead.

* Smell, taste, touch and sound help direct them to their food sources.

* Rats are also responsible for spreading Bubonic Plague, also known as the "Black Death". Although fleas are primarily responsible for infecting humans, they were originally infected with the plague by feeding on the blood of rats.

Rats are scavengers. They have an excellent sense of taste and a good memory. A rat can identify certain substances, including rat poisons, after just a tiny taste of it.

The Norway Rat is also called a "sewer rat". Norway rats tend to be larger and more aggressive to animals, humans and each other than Roof rats. Size: 10" to 12" long

DIET

Norway rats eat a wide variety of foods but mostly prefer cereal grains, meats, fish, nuts, and some fruits.

HABITAT

When Norway rats invade buildings, they usually remain in the basement or ground floor. They also live in fields, farms, woodpiles and buildings. Their nests are usually lined with shredded paper or cloth.

IMPACT

These rats are known for the damage they cause by chewing on materials, urinating on food and eating stored foods. They have also been known to chew on wires, which can cause fires to start. They also carry disease and ectoparasites. Rats will also attack both animals and humans. Human babies and even adults have been killed in rat attacks.

PREVENTION

* Rats will eat almost anything, so keep your homes clean and don’t leave food out.

* Make sure that your home and storage areas are clean and dry.

* Make sure that you clean your sheds, crawlspaces, and garbage cans often.

* Close up any small holes and cracks they can come in through.

http://www.pestworldforkids.org/rats.html

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rats Boldly Swarming Subway Platforms

"People have seen them sitting on benches," says Andrew Albert, an MTA board member and chair of the NYC Transit Riders Council. "From what riders have told us, they appear to be getting bolder." That's the subway rat population he's talking about, which many commuters say is surging, at least according to an amNY article that's teeming with great quotes. "Next thing you know the doors are going to open and one is going to come on the train with us," one exterminator predicts.

Rats have been growing increasingly comfortable hanging out on subway platforms, with popular hot-spots including Chambers Street on the A, Jay Street-Borough Hall, West 4th Street, and Spring Street on the C – though rats who want to party on that exclusive platform have to agree to buy bottle. One theory is that increased interaction with people may, in a way, be domesticating the rats, or at least making them less fearful of humans. "They chase me to work," says straphanger Yvonne Ouchikh. The MTA blames the rat boom on an increase in subway ridership that's led to more litter.

Construction that disturbs the nests and water leaks also result in more rat sightings, which is fine by rat-watcher Joyce Gonzalez, a subway rider who tells amNY she spent some time last week observing a mother rat tend to her young at Brooklyn's Hoyt Street 2/3 station. "The mother was over by the garbage can. I think she was trying to get the babies some food. They were down on the tracks, three of them, little ones." Awww! "We need that little pipe that you blow and take them all to the river," Gonzalez added.

http://gothamist.com/2008/08/14/news_flash_subway_swarming_with_rat.php

Can't wait until tomorrow!

Me too. I think of it as being a jockey who finished 'right there' in the Kentucky Derby with 4 or 5 other horses but is awaiting the photo to see if he won, finished 2nd, 3rd...OR out of the money!

In any case, at least we're not talking about RATS anymore!

Me too. I think of it as being a jockey who finished 'right there' in the Kentucky Derby with 4 or 5 other horses but is awaiting the photo to see if he won, finished 2nd, 3rd...OR out of the money!

In any case, at least we're not talking about RATS anymore!

Yeah now we're talking about which horse's butt finished first. Hopefully I am that horse's butt. No offense to any horses out there. I loved Mr Ed on Nick at Nite.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) VZW:SCH-i770 PPC 320x320)

that cant be true, i called dcas in march to ask about the tiebreaker if i edited my application online. it was a real person i talked to

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) VZW:SCH-i770 PPC 320x320)

that cant be true, i called dcas in march to ask about the tiebreaker if i edited my application online. it was a real person i talked to

Are you sure you weren't talking to a parrot?

waiting two more days is not going to kill anyone, especially since it takes a year to get your official scores. People just need to now chill and wait :cool:

But if there is a delay in the posting, they should at least say something about it on the website. As of 2PM, there is nothing there explaining what's going on.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/kjune2009.shtml

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/hr/answerkeys.htm

I tried calling the number at the bottom. No answer.

Contact DCAS

You can reach the DCAS Application Section by e-mailing us at OASys@dcas.nyc.gov. Please reference the Confirmation Number for questions regarding your online application. Hours of operation are from 9AM to 5PM, Mondays through Fridays.

This email address is for questions regarding your online application only. For general exam information, visit DCAS online here and for specific exam information refer to the NOE.

For the latest information on any examination for which you have applied, please call DCAS’s Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system at 212 669-1357.

https://a856-eeexams.nyc.gov/OLEE/oasys/ContactDCAS.aspx

Archived