Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

thats what the Transit Workers Union is for if they threaten you with dismisal. Thats why you pay your union dues. They will fight for you if it comes down to it but I'm sure you werent dismissed for intermittant mechanical problems.

First of all the transit union is a joke. They are also racist. I lost my job BECAUSE of the union. When I get back in, they aren't seeing a dime from me in union dues. If you get into any kind of trouble, you are better off reading the contract and rules, and go in and defend yourself. The union does absolutely nothing to help you, except take your money. I've contemplating when I go back in to try to either attempt to start a new union, or try to get into the current one and fix it because the ones already there controlling the union are not intelligent or good people.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<4>

Any way, you probably won't get in if you have family members working in the subway and you were crying about the test being so hard.

Yeah right, I didnt cry about the test being hard once, I just said some of the questions were a bit convuluted. I wasn't complaining and I didnt file for any protest session. I know I passed with flying colors. When I took other tests (the Bell Atlantic Battery Exam comes to mind) they were much harder and took much longer to complete. :o

First of all the transit union is a joke. They are also racist. I lost my job BECAUSE of the union. When I get back in, they aren't seeing a dime from me in union dues. If you get into any kind of trouble, you are better off reading the contract and rules, and go in and defend yourself. The union does absolutely nothing to help you, except take your money. I've contemplating when I go back in to try to either attempt to start a new union, or try to get into the current one and fix it because the ones already there controlling the union are not intelligent or good people.

Thats totally unrealistic, you are not going to work as a T/O while not being union or starting your own union. You probably wont get that position back if you messed up that bad or did something for you to lose your job.

Yeah right, the only time you are off more than you work is when there is no work and that means theres no money coming in. When you are working you are busting your ass. I have done construction and its alot harder than sitting down and dealing with the public or train/signal issues.

Sounds like there are alot of people in the dispatchers office or in general that dont like you. Maybe it's your attitude or how quick you are to belittle people and call them names and hope for bad to happen to them. You must be a miserable person from reading the things you post on here. Maybe this job isn't for you? As for them calling you a liar, hey its not something you could control and thats what the Transit Workers Union is for if they threaten you with dismisal. Thats why you pay your union dues. They will fight for you if it comes down to it but I'm sure you werent dismissed for intermittant mechanical problems.

My old man is a union carpenter he works a job gets paid big money and when the job is over they collect unemployment until the next job. And the union has other funds for the guys that aren't working because they are never all working at one time. You were probably a non skilled non union laborer who got shit on because of your lack of intelligence and skill.

I don't make the job out to be any harder than it is, I just speak the truth so people realize that it's not an easy job. I have a spotless safety and discipline record so far for my career so it can be done but I'm a fighter and have fought the TA to arbitration on a few occasions and won each time. And I'm smart enough to defend myself and not depend on the useless union. The weakest most corrupt large union in the city.

If you think local 100 will help you then you are not dumb like I thought you are mentally ill. you have to pay dues whether you want to or not it's a closed shop meaning you pay whether you want in the union or not.

Yeah running into burning buildings ss so much harder because its a part-time job and you get respect. Last time I checked fire is still hot and burning beams falling on you still hurts you bones even though you do it part time and have respect for doing it. Gimme a break.

My Aunt was one of the last persons in the family to become a T/O and she didnt like it either at first because it was alot to get used to compared to her previous employment but after a few years she is very happy and sends us pictures all of the time of her smiling driving the train on the elevated lines. Maybe its just you and your frame of thought that is the issue?

Most fire fighters never actually have to run into a burning building just like most cops never have to fire their guns their entire careers, so your argument doesn't make much sense. The ones that die are tragedies indeed, but fire fighters say in the upper east side (that's where Hunter college is near lol) rarely see fires. For a fire fighter and cop, it depends on where you are station when the job could be hell, or effortless.

As for your aunt, so her smiling in pictures means the job is easy? Don't ever become a defense lawyer messino. You will get your client the death penalty for jay walking.

The system averages 1 "jumper" a day. That is 1 T/O a day that has someone commit suicide by jumping in front of there train.

The only ones that are in the news are the people that get pushed, slip, ect. regular suicides never make the news it's a daily occurance.

Oh yeah I forgot to add if the jumper doesn't die the TA wants you back at work the next day. If they do die then they give you 3 whole days off to deal with the most traumatic experience of your life. If you need more than you have to file for workers comp., see the TA quack shrinks, and wait along time before you see any comp money.

I've seen people die infront of me before, someone jumping or being pushed infront of my train wouldnt phase me, Its not something I had any control over. I'm in a cab driving the train and have only a limited amount of reaction time to stop a 250 ton train, I'm not on the platform where I can do anything to stop it from happening if it was possible. Maybe it's just me but growing up in NYC desenstises you, but hey everyone deals with racist remarks, stress and death differently.

Thats totally unrealistic, you are not going to work as a T/O while not being union or starting your own union. You probably wont get that position back if you messed up that bad or did something for you to lose your job.

You don't even know what happened and you are assuming I did something terrible. You should work for the MTA in firing people because you sound like the higher ups that treat employees like crap. And for your information, union employees are train operators, conductors, track workers etc. Also, a judge revoked the unions right to take union dues directly out of your paycheck for violating the Taylor laws after the '05 strike. It was funny how you never saw the union employees until they started showing up in the crew rooms trying to get everyone's checking account. You're insane if you think I will give a union member my checking account, so they can accidentally add a zero when it comes time to take the dues.

I also told you before, the union cost me the job. Are you sure you passed the test? Your reading comprehension is not very good.

Most fire fighters never actually have to run into a burning building just like most cops never have to fire their guns their entire careers, so your argument doesn't make much sense. The ones that die are tragedies indeed, but fire fighters say in the upper east side (that's where Hunter college is near lol) rarely see fires. For a fire fighter and cop, it depends on where you are station when the job could be hell, or effortless.

Seriously, you are pathetic, you are so delusional its not even funny. Firefighters dont have to go into buildings every day, but when they are not doing that, they are cutting mangled people out of cars, trying to save someones life who is having a heart attack when they get there before EMS, etc.. yeah sure you try to compare that with the easy job of sitting and operating a train. Oh and you have to bring up that I mentioned the landmarks on the test, like that has anything to do with the difficulty of opertaing a train.. You are running out of ammo and are starting to nit pick. So what a cop doesnt have to fire his weapon often, what about when they are called to a domestic dispute and have to deal with thugs on the streets and drug dealers etc.

Get real guy you are just bitter because you couldnt cut it as a conductor.

?????????????????????

Do you mean desensitizes?

Yep , definately the signs of frustration and loss of debate when you are starting to pick on grammar and spelling :o Step away from your computer and grab a cup of coffee and relax. You are getting all worked up over some stranger typing on a forum in the internet.

Seriously, you are pathetic, you are so delusional its not even funny. Firefighters dont have to go into buildings every day, but when they are not doing that, they are cutting mangled people out of cars, trying to save someones life who is having a heart attack when they get there before EMS, etc.. yeah sure you try to compare that with the easy job of sitting and operating a train. Oh and you have to bring up that I mentioned the landmarks on the test, like that has anything to do with the difficulty of opertaing a train.. You are running out of ammo and are starting to nit pick. So what a cop doesnt have to fire his weapon often, what about when they are called to a domestic dispute and have to deal with thugs on the streets and drug dealers etc.

Get real guy you are just bitter because you couldnt cut it as a conductor.

Do you ever want to deal with this in person? I can cut it very easy with you. Keyboard tough guy.

Yep , definately the signs of frustration and loss of debate when you are starting to pick on grammar and spelling :o Step away from your computer and grab a cup of coffee and relax. You are getting all worked up over some stranger typing on a forum in the internet.

No just pointing out that you are a total idiot and a dimwitted buffoon.

Guys, we are adults here, lets keep this discussion civilized. I don't want to resort to treating you guys like children.

Well I am done commenting with someone that will never understand anything. It was a waste of time typing any of what I already did. Not you Julio. You know about whom I am referring. I apologize to all the good members for my comments.

Do you ever want to deal with this in person? I can cut it very easy with you. Keyboard tough guy.

Right, thats real intelligent, fighting in person over a debate on a forum about the degree of effort it takes to operate a train compared to other professions. Besides, who wants to drive a train for 25+ years until retirement? I plan on moving up that ladder. Thats like those beat cops that stay at the same level until they retire instead of going for promotions. Im done with this debate as it just turns into an argument and personal attacks and belittlement that serves no point. It just brings out the worst in people and shows how some of the people who work for the TA are miserable human beings/low lives.

I've seen people die infront of me before, someone jumping or being pushed in front of my train wouldnt phase me, Its not something I had any control over.

Anyone even approaching a human being would have to be seriously affected by witnessing such a thing, regardless of whether you had any control of the situation or not. Even if you were a passenger standing on the platform and saw it it would be horrific. You would probably have flashbacks for many years afterwards.

The system averages 1 "jumper" a day. That is 1 T/O a day that has someone commit suicide by jumping in front of their train.

The only ones that are in the news are the people that get pushed, slip, ect. regular suicides never make the news it's a daily occurrence.

Oh yeah I forgot to add if the jumper doesn't die the TA wants you back at work the next day. If they do die then they give you 3 whole days off to deal with the most traumatic experience of your life. If you need more than you have to file for workers comp., see the TA quack shrinks, and wait along time before you see any comp money.

With all respect, where do you get the 1 suicide by jumping in front of a train per day (average) figure from? Is it posted on a stat sheet somewhere that you can link to?

I am still trying to figure out how this tread went from those who are happy about taken the T/O Exam to T/O is the worst job on the face of this earth???:confused:

I will say I heard the test wasn't as easy as the last one but fair and again Best of luck to everyone. The job of a T/O is not easy but not the hardest. You must be alert 100% of the time you are responceable for everyone on your train. You must know where your going one wrong punch and not sure if the signal is right can send a train load of people to the Bronx instead of Queens. One wrong route can send a train Express instead of local. Signal problems can be a pain.

Racism its there but I never had a problem most of the Co Workers I deal with are nice people trying to make honest living and I worked the whole systerm. I never was called a name by a co worker in my 9 Years with transit. I get along with most of my co Workers of all races, religan and gender.

Overall Train Operator is a good job and I recommend the job to anyone. However I will say this which a old timer told me which I believe to be true " It easy to get your handles but very hard to keep them"!

I am still trying to figure out how this tread went from those who are happy about taken the T/O Exam to T/O is the worst job on the face of this earth???:confused:

I will say I heard the test wasn't as easy as the last one but fair and again Best of luck to everyone. The job of a T/O is not easy but not the hardest. You must be alert 100% of the time you are responceable for everyone on your train. You must know where your going one wrong punch and not sure if the signal is right can send a train load of people to the Bronx instead of Queens. One wrong route can send a train Express instead of local. Signal problems can be a pain.

Racism its there but I never had a problem most of the Co Workers I deal with are nice people trying to make honest living and I worked the whole systerm. I never was called a name by a co worker in my 9 Years with transit. I get with most of my co Workers of all races, religan and gender.

Overall Train Operator is a good job and I recommend the job to anyone. However I will say this which a old timer told me which I believe to be try " It easy to get your handles but very hard to keep them"!

I was just curious that your location says PA, do you drive or commute to NYC everyday you work? How many miles is it if so?

With all respect, where do you get the 1 suicide by jumping in front of a train per day (average) figure from? Is it posted on a stat sheet somewhere that you can link to?

No I have nothing to link to the TA will never let the public know things like this because then people might have some sympathy for the empoyees involved.

This number was the school car taught number which I verified with 2 close relatives in upper management who said it may be slighlty higher today than years ago. Remember the system is huge and runs 24/7. If I had to guess I would say the actual number is closer to 2 per day on average because between Nov.-Jan there are alot I've heard one time 5 in one day because of holiday depression.

Racism its there but I never had a problem most of the Co Workers I deal with are nice people trying to make honest living and I worked the whole systerm.!

I have witnessed and overheard ALOT of blatant racism in my years and just about all of it was from supervisors. If the racism was the other way around in the TA Rev. Al would be marching outside everyday.

This IMO is an RTO problem not a TA problem though. Almost all of the other department are very close and stick together regardless of race, religion, ect. But in RTO I have heard hundreds of people say that they voted for Roger in the past for no other reason than he was black or west indian. That is why last election the other slate had to put the weaker candidate in the top spot to match black against black for the president spot this was there only chance. I was told this by the candidates themselves back then.

Archived