Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

I have witnessed and overheard ALOT of blatant racism in my years and just about all of it was from supervisors. If the racism was the other way around in the TA, Rev. Al would be marching outside everyday.

This IMO is an RTO problem not a TA problem though. Almost all of the other department are very close and stick together regardless of race, religion, etc. But in RTO I have heard hundreds of people say that they voted for Roger in the past for no other reason than he was black or west indian. That is why last election the other slate had to put the weaker candidate in the top spot to match black against black for the president spot this was there only chance. I was told this by the candidates themselves back then.

I have no problem believing any of that (except for the 'hundreds' part). Many groups tend to single outsiders out like that, despite the individuals in them often not being so bad themselves. (I'm talking about racism in general). Something about group mentality does it. It's mean and just plain wrong. If these people could put themselves in the other's shoes for a time, I'm sure they would realize how hurtful a thing it is.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will be hundreds of people with identical scores so Julio is correct it's your list number that is important NOT your score. Your score will give a basic idea of your chances of getting called though. IMO the cut off will be 94-95%.

exactly I got a 101.75 on the Sanitation test and my list number is 2k sumptin.

exactly, I got a 101.75 on the Sanitation test and my list number is 2k sumptin.

Talk about 'less glamorous' jobs for less pay. For comparison, the current starting salaries for TOs is about $56,000. I have no idea what it moves to after 5 years.

From NYC.gov...

"The current starting salary of a Sanitation Worker is $31,200 per year. The current labor agreement provides for periodic increases to a maximum of $67,141 after 5 1/2 years."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/jobs/jobs.shtml

No, I have nothing to link to. The TA will never let the public know things like this because then people might have some sympathy for the empoyees involved.

This number was the school car taught number which I verified with 2 close relatives in upper management who said it may be slightly higher today than years ago. Remember the system is huge and runs 24/7. If I had to guess I would say the actual number is closer to 2 per day on average because between Nov.-Jan there are alot. I've heard one time 5 in one day because of holiday depression.

Here's an article you might be interested in...

Experts Advise Media on Responsible Suicide Reporting:

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/36/18/2

Talk about 'less glamorous' jobs for less pay. For comparison, the current starting salaries for TOs is about $56,000. I have no idea what it moves to after 5 years.

From NYC.gov...

"The current starting salary of a Sanitation Worker is $31,200 per year. The current labor agreement provides for periodic increases to a maximum of $67,141 after 5 1/2 years."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/jobs/jobs.shtml

Sanitation is the BEST city job there is. I learned that from my professor in my first college class and after research he was right. You work no more than 4 hours a day and can retire after 20 years! Oh yeah there top pay is higher than ours also.

There is a reason why the most people take that test compared to all other civil service tests.

you probably went to school car with my sister then, cause she was in the 300's as well off that test. i called dcas and the list number of the last appointed hasn't changed since october, when i was called. when i called the mta they said there hasn't been a class out and the next classes will be small so i'm going to call back in july and see what's going on. i didn't take the conductor's exam in december, even though i paid for it, because i thought i got the job. i got the letter to go for the drug test a couple of weeks after i paid for the december exam - coincidence? i think not. :tdown:

A class of 13 started today, 11 more will start in two weeks, 32 at the end of July and the lists expires 31 July2009. The class that started today was the first C/R class since the middle of November.

A class of 13 started today, 11 more will start in two weeks, 32 at the end of July and the lists expires 31 July2009. The class that started today was the first C/R class since the middle of November.

So the new promotional C/R list will take over on July? I guess the OC C/R list is still months away then before being established.

exactly I got a 101.75 on the Sanitation test and my list number is 2k sumptin.

You mean your score is 101.25,no such score exists(101.75). You are in the low 2,000's,good enough to get the call but the way it looks now it's pretty bleak. I have heard rumors that they might not hire again until 2011,the last official hiring year from the #6063 list.

My plan is to hopefully become a B/O in a couple of years,do around 5 yrs,then transfer to DSNY to do my 20 yrs,this is only possible if I get a much higher score on the next DSNY exam. I am in the middle #5,000's,so it's over for me this time around.

I have heard of B/O's switching over to DSNY even taking a 50% pay cut,never heard of going from DSNY to a B/O.

well, at least they are having classes. hopefully i get called for the july class. i'll have to give them another call this week. thanks for the heads up!

So you failed the drug test? The drug test is the last step once you get that far your are usually hired unless you fail.

Sorry I didn't get back at you sooner . Wanted to wait til the 'flames' died down *grins*

No I didn't fail the drug test. I was considered and passed over for Exam 2085 (List #1013) do to Rule 4.7.1 (C). I looked that up and it was some gray area BS that allowd them to turn people down without giving them a reason.

Sorry to say for you, it's going to be me. I've taken a few of these tests, and worked as a conductor for a year. I used to read all the rules like an obsessive lawyer trying to find loopholes to the rules to see what I can get away with. I also when over the test twice. I did that with the conductor test and got all of the answers right. I think I got them all right on the T/O test as well, abd two question I was a little apprehensive avout, so the worst I did was 1 or 2 wrong, but I won't be challenging anything. I got right what I got right and I got wrong what I got wrong.

Don't feel sorry dude. I feel the exact same way. I also got 100 on the C/R test which was easier than this T/O exam

No I didn't fail the drug test. I was considered and passed over for Exam 2085 (List #1013) do to Rule 4.7.1 (C). I looked that up and it was some gray area BS that allowd them to turn people down without giving them a reason.

I'm assuming that it's the 1 in 3 rule you're talking about. Usually once you get to the point of the drug test you're past that point and hired upon passing the test.

I said *RELATIVELY* easy, meaning compared to dirty, back-breaking work that pays 1/3rd the salary. There are thousands of people around the country who scrub toilet bowls and/or carry 100-pound loads all day for way less money than you guys are making. Would you like to trade places with one of them??

Some of us have "been there and done that". Until you've actually done another person's job....I believe the saying is something like" remain silent and be thought the fool rather than open your mouth and"...figure it out. BTW are you on Bloomberg's payroll?

I said *RELATIVELY* easy, meaning compared to dirty, back-breaking work that pays 1/3rd the salary. There are thousands of people around the country who scrub toilet bowls and/or carry 100-pound loads all day for way less money than you guys are making. Would you like to trade places with one of them??

Some of us have "been there and done that". Until you've actually done another person's job....I believe the saying is something like" remain silent and be thought the fool rather than open your mouth and"...figure it out. BTW are you on Bloomberg's payroll?

Plus last time I checked a coupler adapter still weighs about 100 lbs B)

Some of us have "been there and done that". Until you've actually done another person's job....I believe the saying is something like" remain silent and be thought the fool rather than open your mouth and"...figure it out.

I understand that the job of a TO, like damn near all jobs, is probably frustrating and stressful at times, but much of the frustration and stress, more often than not, I imagine, arises from circumstances beyond your control (system delays, track work, track/equipment problems, power outages, sick passengers, flooding, police emergencies, misguided passengers blaming you for delays, etc) and not (too often) from personal decisions you've had to make. And if most of your actions are based on standard operating procedure rather than personal decision making, where you can more easily be blamed or criticized for making errors, then the level of stress really shouldn't be so high. Perhaps I'm foolishly assuming your supervisors are mostly fair minded people not out to find reasons for blaming you for everything that goes wrong in the system.

As for the back-breaking, heavy lifting part of the job, I wasn't aware that you had to occasionally carry equipment as heavy as 100 pounds. How often does that occur?

Plus last time I checked a coupler adapter still weighs about 100 lbs

Sanitation is the BEST city job there is. I learned that from my professor in my first college class and after research he was right. You work no more than 4 hours a day and can retire after 20 years! Oh yeah there top pay is higher than ours also.

There is a reason why the most people take that test compared to all other civil service tests.

There are 29k people on that list.

You mean your score is 101.25,no such score exists(101.75). You are in the low 2,000's,good enough to get the call but the way it looks now it's pretty bleak. I have heard rumors that they might not hire again until 2011,the last official hiring year from the #6063 list.

My plan is to hopefully become a B/O in a couple of years,do around 5 yrs,then transfer to DSNY to do my 20 yrs,this is only possible if I get a much higher score on the next DSNY exam. I am in the middle #5,000's,so it's over for me this time around.

I have heard of B/O's switching over to DSNY even taking a 50% pay cut,never heard of going from DSNY to a B/O.

Honestly I would prefer to drive the bus but a good city job is a job for me. I'm tired of companies going bankrupt,corporate restructuring and outsourcing my job out. I just want a job where I know I could retire and put my daughter through college.

Ok im just trying to figure out some scenerios. I filed early March 4th i think around 8am which was the 1st day of filing. Im pretty sure I did good on the test. Ill just say for a number I got a 95. Can someone whos been through this give me where I might get on the list. Or can someone say with the scenerio above do I have a shot on getting called???

Also just to give the T/Os on her credit the guys on here like Motorman Mike who was EXTREMELY helpful w me on a PM and NASCAR who seems like he would be a BLAST to work w and Pelham Dave who is extremely helpful to us hopefuls all the other T/Os on here, to say your jobs are easy I dont think is fair. To be a T/O in NYC like mentioned its a 100% alert at ALL TIMES for numerous safety reasons, you guys still deal w the public at times which is stressful, and I can only imagine the politics that go on w the Union and so forth. So I just want to say its not just driving a train. I respect the position and you guys should be commended and hope to become a T/O in the future with you guys.

Honestly I would prefer to drive the bus but a good city job is a job for me. I'm tired of companies going bankrupt,corporate restructuring and outsourcing my job out. I just want a job where I know I could retire and put my daughter through college.

I agree with you. I have nothing against being a Bus Operator. Lets compare the lists.

DSNY #6063: 29,276

NYCT B/O: #8006: 3,758,not sure if you are on the #5025 list,but that list has 4,885.

Being a Sanitation worker is hard on you physically,I have heard that some guys can barely walk,one guy had a bone in his foot worn out from all the getting on and off the step of the truck. The human body wasn't meant to lift 5+ tons of garbage every day. I just turned 40 so obviously time is not on my side.

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! What's going on in here??lol I missed all the action...darn it!B) I'm not going to add anymore fuel to this forest fire.I think JAH handled it pretty good.I wish I could do a reality show on the life of a T/O!I need some cameras baby!!

Ill just say for a number I got a 95. Can someone whos been through this give me where I might get on the list. Or can someone say with the scenerio above do I have a shot on getting called???

If you scored 95 or better you will almost defenitely get called eventually. Remember they must exhaust the promotional list first before they even start calling off of the open competetive.

The first open competetive T/O test in Jan. 2000 did NOT have a promotional test to compete with and the first class from that test started Jan 22, 2001. So that should give you a little idea.

If you scored 95 or better you will almost defenitely get called eventually. Remember they must exhaust the promotional list first before they even start calling off of the open competetive.

The first open competetive T/O test in Jan. 2000 did NOT have a promotional test to compete with and the first class from that test started Jan 22, 2001. So that should give you a little idea.

Man if only I had known about that January 2000 test, I would have taken it. My father had just died the previous November just before Thanksgiving, so I was really out of touch with reality for a while.

if you dont mind me asking, what was your score and list # at the time and how long before you got called up?

if you dont mind me asking, what was your score and list # at the time and how long before you got called up?

Score and list # for what test? It's different for promotional tests than open competetive.

Archived