Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

I did not know. I apologize. What about 1st names only?

People may still be able to figure out who they are, especially if you mention the dept they work. It would of course be even easier if the name isn't a common one.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If list number goes by when I filed the application I may be screwed as I filed the application online on March 25th 2009

But is it an absolute fact that the filing date matters in the case of tie scores? It makes sense, but where is it specifically stated? I don't see any mention of it on the exam notice. They may use other criteria in the case of tie scores, like job history, etc.

Here is all that the notice says about it...

"THE TEST RESULTS: If you pass the competitive multiple-choice test, your name will be placed in final

score order on an eligible list and you will be given a list number. You will be notified by mail of

your test results."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf

In any case, I filed about a week after the notice came out.

The filing period was from March 4th to April 7th, 2009. Initially, the period ended on March 24th. They later extended it an additional two weeks to April 7th.

Complaints aside, this job really pays incredibly well. I mean, for those of us who are lucky enough to get in several years from now, or whenever it will be, we'll almost certainly have-to be working nights and weekends, and so will be grossing something like $1,100 a week, NOT including any OT. Plus the salary may go up by that time. OT (time and a half) will be 27 x 1.5 = 40/hour. Not too shabby for a relatively easy job.

From personal experience any job that puts you out with the public is never easy. But i do agree the pay sounds much better than anything I could get in even IT as a starter.

From personal experience any job that puts you out with the public is never easy. But i do agree the pay sounds much better than anything I could get in even IT as a starter.

But as TOs we won't be dealing directly with the public so much. Conductors have a very difficult job in that regard. They're frequently asked complex questions about how to get from point A to point Z as they're trying to close the doors in a safe and timely manner. You need to have a cool head and lots of patience for that.

But is it an absolute fact that the filing date matters in the case of tie scores? It makes sense, but where is it specifically stated? I don't see any mention of it on the exam notice. They may use other criteria in the case of tie scores, like job history, etc.

Here is all that the notice says about it...

"THE TEST RESULTS: If you pass the competitive multiple-choice test, your name will be placed in final

score order on an eligible list and you will be given a list number. You will be notified by mail of

your test results."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf

In any case, I filed about a week after the notice came out.

The filing period was from March 4th to April 7th, 2009. Initially, the period ended on March 24th. They later extended it an additional two weeks to April 7th.

Various MTA employees here have stated here for past that the time your application is received is what they use for tie breaking scores. People should read the past threads for past exams since the same questions keep coming up over and over again.

In regards to the following info from the TO exam notice, if an employee's normal 40-hour/week work schedule includes nights and/or weekends, do they get paid higher hourly rates for these periods? If so, how much higher? Not talking OT, but nights and weekends within their normal shifts.

Our night differential is less than a person that works at McDonalds or Walmart. They like almost everyone else get 10% for night differential but we get about 6%.

Our night differential is less than a person that works at McDonalds or Walmart. They like almost everyone else get 10% for night differential but we get about 6%.

Thanks. So that works out to about 28.65 per hour for night and weekends, which are the shift hours new TOs will have to work mostly. 28.65 x 40= $1,146/week, not including any 40/hr OT. I think I can live with that! :o

Haha Nascar this is hilirous. Do you guys get double time for working holidays down under???

Also Labor Day was the correct answer right????

lol...Nah we don't get double time!I WISH!!!! Maybe I should bring this to the attention of Local 100!:confused: I NEVER get paid for holidays.I usually save them in the bank and use it at another time.Money can NEVER replace the feeling of getting a day off down here.:tup: I'm not sure what the question was...All I know is Labor Day is in September and Veteran's Day is in November.

Complaints aside, this job really pays incredibly well. I mean, for those of us who are lucky enough to get in several years from now, or whenever it will be, we'll almost certainly have-to be working nights and weekends, and so will be grossing something like $1,100 a week, NOT including any OT. Plus the salary may go up by that time. OT (time and a half) will be 27 x 1.5 = 40/hour. Not too shabby for a relatively easy job.

My friends grandfather takes home $75k - $80k with all of the overtime.

Not too shabby for a relatively easy job.

First of all there is NOTHING easy about being fully responsible for thousands of lives while following the rules in a rule book that changes DAILY. Even if the T/O is perfect there are tons of ways he can hang down here or injure himself or someone else.

Second of all it IS shabby to have ALOT more responsibility than your peers at the other MTA agencies where the T/O does NOTHING more than move the train down the road and the C/R does eveything else that we have to do and get paid 8/hr less than LIRR and 10/hr than MNR!!!!

People like you that say how easy the job is before they ever work it for a few years minimum will either quit, get fired, or get demoted count on it!

First of all there is NOTHING easy about being fully responsible for thousands of lives while following the rules in a rule book that changes DAILY. Even if the T/O is perfect there are tons of ways he can hang down here or injure himself or someone else.

Second of all it IS shabby to have ALOT more responsibility than your peers at the other MTA agencies where the T/O does NOTHING more than move the train down the road and the C/R does eveything else that we have to do and get paid 8/hr less than LIRR and 10/hr than MNR!!!!

People like you that say how easy the job is before they ever work it for a few years minimum will either quit, get fired, or get demoted count on it!

For the most part it is an easy job, you just sit there and drive the train and as long as you use common sense and adhere to your training and the rules you would have to be an idiot to really mess up. This isnt brain surgery here. Sure there is alot of responsibilty but the hardest part would be dealing with the work schedule. A hard job is working for the NYFD, construction worker, brain surgeon, air traffic controller etc.. How many times have you seen motorman driving the train half asleep working the graveyard shift? I've seen this countless times at 3 AM. Sitting down for most of your shift pushing and pulling a few levers isnt exactly laboring or hard. Driving a bus is a harder job.

For the most part it is an easy job, you just sit there and drive the train and as long as you use common sense and adhere to your training and the rules you would have to be an idiot to really mess up. This isnt brain surgery here. Sure there is alot of responsibilty but the hardest part would be dealing with the work schedule. A hard job is working for the NYFD, construction worker, brain surgeon, air traffic controller etc.. How many times have you seen motorman driving the train half asleep working the graveyard shift? I've seen this countless times at 3 AM. Sitting down for most of your shift pushing and pulling a few levers isnt exactly laboring or hard. Driving a bus is a harder job.

messino, you tell me how easy the job is when you have someone jump in front of your train to kill themselves and they crash through your window. You tell me how easy the job is when a racist black guy calls you a cracker or a fa**ot because you didn't give him the answer he was looking for and you can't go beat the crap out of him because you will get fired or sued and be accused of being racist when you made no racist remarks whatsoever. You tell me when someone tries or successfully spits on you because they they think it would be funny and you can't do anything about it. After all., according to Michael dopeface Bloomberg, transit workers are thugs. Please, tell me how easy the job is. I really want to know someone that has never worked in the subway tell me how effortless and easy it is. $26.99 starting pay sure is good, but it sure as hell isn't enough for what you have to deal with, especially when the control center does nothing to help you when you are in trouble. They try to blame you. Any response messino?

I will say it again. NO JOB THAT DEALS WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC IN ANY WAY IS EVER EASY!!! I've worked jobs from McDonalds to Home Health Care. At no point did I EVER find my job easy. Even when I got good at it. The safety and satisfaction of customers (because when you become a T/O thats what the riders become) is a very huge responsibility and at any given time something could drastically change the situation from calm and cool to wild and chaotic. Even as a rider, I know that being the working gears of the system is a challenge. Actually because I am a subway rider I should know this. G/Os, sick passengers, power outages, flooded tracks, train malfunctions, signal issues...dunno where in all that does easy apply.

You're obviously an idiot. NYFD is a hard job but it is a PART-time job. You're off way more than you work, most of those guys have second jobs and you have the support and respect of the city and your employers. In the TA you are going to be on the job way more than you're off.

If driving a bus is so much harder than why is it a PROMOTION from B/O to T/O?

You DON'T drive a train you drive a car and operate a train!

Construction is one of the easiest jobs in the city. Once again you are off more than you work.

Yes dealing with the work schedule is very very hard but that is not it. Try dealing with an employer that HATES it's employees, the public hates you, the mayor hates you. If you think that working in that kind of environment everyday is easy than you're more of a fool than we all already think you are.

Your train has a mechanical problem you hit a signal or run out of a station, call it in and the RCI can't duplicate the problem (intermittant problems) your out of service facing dissmisal because the TA says there is no such thing as a intermittant problems oh yeah and your a LIAR too according to them and they will say that to your face.

I hope you get the job I guarantee you get fired in school car!!!

messino, you tell me how easy the job is when you have someone jump in front of your train to kill themselves and they crash through your window.

Thats a very rare occurance, if you look at the statistics, it doesnt happen that often but yes that would be hard to deal with, but its no harder than driving a car and hitting someone that was crossing the street.

You tell me how easy the job is when a racist black guy calls you a cracker or a fa**ot because you didn't give him the answer he was looking for and you can't go beat the crap out of him because you will get fired or sued and be accused of being racist when you made no racist remarks whatsoever.

Those are just words, people like that are obviously very frustrated and illogical. Someone calling you a *** or a cracker isnt the end of the world, chances are you will never see that person again anyway so why let some strangers words bother you? I've worked with the public for many years and I know how stupid they can be in general. If you let it bother you that much you will be one stressed out person. It's no big deal.

You tell me when someone tries or successfully spits on you because they they think it would be funny and you can't do anything about it.

Big deal, whats so hard about cleaning it off your face? I had someone spit on me from a moving car while I was waiting to cross the street, sure it makes you angry but it doesnt happen every day and life goes on.

I really want to know someone that has never worked in the subway tell me how effortless and easy it is. $26.99 starting pay sure is good, but it sure as hell isn't enough for what you have to deal with, especially when the control center does nothing to help you when you are in trouble. They try to blame you. Any response messino?

I have family members who do this job and have talked to them on numerous occasions about it. Its all about how you go on with your day. You people are making it out to be some kind of nightmare when the fact is after you have been doing it for 2 years you get used to the way things work and it becomes a part of a routine. Sure there are power outages, floods, signal issues etc.. but it's not all of the time and it's not going to make a motormans day that much harder. You can't control those things and all you can do is cope and work with the situation the best you can. It's really not that bad most of the time.

You're obviously an idiot. NYFD is a hard job but it is a PART-time job. You're off way more than you work, and you have the support and respect of the city and your employers.

If driving a bus is so much harder than why is it a PROMOTION from B/O to T/O?

You DON'T drive a train you drive a car and operate a train!

Construction is one of the easiest jobs in the city. Once again you are off more than you work.

Yes dealing with the work schedule is very very hard but that is not it. Try dealing with an employer that HATES it's employees, the public hates you, the mayor hates you.

Your train has a mechanical problem you hit a signal or run out of a station, call it in and the RCI can't duplicate the problem (intermittant problems) your out of service facing dismisal because the TA says there is no such thing as a intermittant problem oh yeah and your a LIAR!!

Jah do you work in the subway? You sound as angry as I did working as a spitoon/conductor.

Thats a very rare occurance, if you look at the statistics, it doesnt happen that often but yes that would be hard to deal with, but its no harder than driving a car and hitting someone that was crossing the street.

Those are just words, people like that are obviously very frustrated and illogical. Someone calling you a *** or a cracker isnt the end of the world, chances are you will never see that person again anyway so why let some strangers words bother you? I've worked with the public for many years and I know how stupid they can be in general. If you let it bother you that much you will be one stressed out person. It's no big deal.

Big deal, whats so hard about cleaning it off your face? I had someone spit on me from a moving car while I was waiting to cross the street, sure it makes you angry but it doesnt happen every day and life goes on.

I have family members who do this job and have talked to them on numerous occasions about it. Its all about how you go on with your day. You people are making it out to be some kind of nightmare when the fact is after you have been doing it for 2 years you get used to the way things work and it becomes a part of a routine. Sure there are power outages, floods, signal issues etc.. but it's not all of the time and it's not going to make a motormans day that much harder. You can't control those things and all you can do is cope and work with the situation the best you can. It's really not that bad most of the time.

So if you work the same line at the same time every day, you don't think someone can just come in the next day to settle a score with you that you didn't even know you had with him? Also, the racist comments don't happen once, they actually happen often, along with threats and attempted and successful assaults.

Messino, I really hope you don't get hired. There are bad enough employees down there and you being there will only make it worse. Any way, you probably won't get in if you have family members working in the subway and you were crying about the test being so hard.

First of all there is NOTHING easy about being fully responsible for thousands of lives while following the rules in a rule book that changes DAILY. ...

I said *RELATIVELY* easy, meaning compared to dirty, back-breaking work that pays 1/3rd the salary. There are thousands of people around the country who scrub toilet bowls and/or carry 100-pound loads all day for way less money than you guys are making. Would you like to trade places with one of them??

Thats a very rare occurance, if you look at the statistics, it doesnt happen

The system averages 1 "jumper" a day. That is 1 T/O a day that has someone commit suicide by jumping in front of there train.

The only ones that are in the news are the people that get pushed, slip, ect. regular suicides never make the news it's a daily occurance.

Oh yeah I forgot to add if the jumper doesn't die the TA wants you back at work the next day. If they do die then they give you 3 whole days off to deal with the most traumatic experience of your life. If you need more than you have to file for workers comp., see the TA quack shrinks, and wait along time before you see any comp money.

I said *RELATIVELY* easy, meaning compared to dirty, back-breaking work that pays 1/3rd the salary. There are thousands of people around the country who scrub toilet bowls and/or carry 100-pound loads all day for way less money than you guys are making. Would you like to trade places with one of them??

The only time the job is easy is when you have no BS going on and there are no problems with the train or subway service. Let's not forget, when the control center tells a local to go express idiots get in the train crew's faces cursing them out and blaming them when they had nothing to do with it. That is one "easy" moment on the job.

And messino if someone making racist comments is nothing, why do people lose their jobs when they make racist comments?

There are thousands of people around the country who scrub toilet bowls and/or carry 100-pound loads all day for way less money than you guys are making. Would you like to trade places with one of them??

That's a stupid comment. There are also THOUSANDS of people who are millionaires who never worked a day in there life they were born into money, I'll switch places with them.

The system averages 1 "jumper" a day. That is 1 T/O a day that has someone commit suicide by jumping in front of there train.

The only ones that are in the news are the people that get pushed, slip, ect. regular suicides never make the news it's a daily occurance.

And messino since you don't seem that bright, average is taking all the suicides for the year, dividing them by 365 days, and you get 1 per day. That means there are days that there is more than 1 suicide. Hmm sounds very rare to me (said in a sarcastic tone) There have also ben people who do double suicides or they do their double suicides in different stations. Tell me how you feel when someone commits suicide in front of you and you keep thinking in your head you killed them, and what could you have done to stop it?

You're obviously an idiot. NYFD is a hard job but it is a PART-time job. You're off way more than you work, and you have the support and respect of the city and your employers. In the TA you are going to be on the job way more than you're off.

Yeah running into burning buildings ss so much harder because its a part-time job and you get respect. Last time I checked fire is still hot and burning beams falling on you still hurts you bones even though you do it part time and have respect for doing it. Gimme a break.

Yeah right, the only time you are off more than you work is when there is no work and that means theres no money coming in. When you are working you are busting your ass. I have done construction and its alot harder than sitting down and dealing with the public or train/signal issues.

Yes dealing with the work schedule is very very hard but that is not it. Try dealing with an employer that HATES it's employees, the public hates you, the mayor hates you. If you think that working in that kind of environment everyday is easy than you're more of a fool than we all already think you are.

I've worked for companies that were very harsh on its employees and expected very unrealistic results and provided harsh a working envrionment If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen.

Your train has a mechanical problem you hit a signal or run out of a station, call it in and the RCI can't duplicate the problem (intermittant problems) your out of service facing dismisal because the TA says there is no such thing as a intermittant problem oh yeah and your a LIAR!!

Sounds like there are alot of people in the dispatchers office or in general that dont like you. Maybe it's your attitude or how quick you are to belittle people and call them names and hope for bad to happen to them. You must be a miserable person from reading the things you post on here. Maybe this job isn't for you? As for them calling you a liar, hey its not something you could control and thats what the Transit Workers Union is for if they threaten you with dismisal. Thats why you pay your union dues. They will fight for you if it comes down to it but I'm sure you werent dismissed for intermittant mechanical problems.

My Aunt was one of the last persons in the family to become a T/O and she didnt like it either at first because it was alot to get used to compared to her previous employment but after a few years she is very happy and sends us pictures all of the time of her smiling driving the train on the elevated lines. Maybe its just you and your frame of thought that is the issue?

The only time the job is easy is when you have no BS going on and there are no problems with the train or subway service. Let's not forget, when the control center tells a local to go express idiots get in the train crew's faces cursing them out and blaming them when they had nothing to do with it. That is one "easy" moment on the job.

Again, I didn't say it was 'easy'. I have no doubt there are many frustrating and stressful situations. I said it was *relatively* easy compared to many other jobs that a lot of people are doing for far less money.

Archived