Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

This is off topic but i just took the exam 6/6/09 for T/O i read a little early that sometime you have to walk in the tunnels, i'm only asking because i very

scary of RATS, i'm not a punk but i would rather fight 8 people with guns than have a rat run by my feet. Is this the wrong Job for me?

When you find out how much you're making every two weeks, you get brave in a hurry.

Personally the rats don't bother me, but the waterbugs drive me nuts.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you find out how much you're making every two weeks, you get brave in a hurry.

Personally the rats don't bother me, but the waterbugs drive me nuts.

Lol ! Reading this reminded me of my cousin..he'll stomp out a rat or mouse in a hurry. But a waterbug??? FORGET IT !!! Doesnt want to have anything to do with them. Lol.

I think in the beginning for some it will be an adjustment..but as someone else said..I think you'll get used to it after a while.

All this talk of waterbugs.. I just saw a huge one run across my floor and I have NEVER seen any in this apartment the 2 years I have been here. I tried to trap it in a bottle but it got away.. Kinda freaky. As for rats, I would'nt worry about em in the subway, they wont bite you as long as you dont try to pet them or corner them LOL, just carry some poison bait with you and throw it at them, maybe it will take it to its nest and kill the rest of them in the bunch.

Which type waterbugs are you people talking about? The ones that look just like cockroaches but bigger? I hate those types of bugs, some of can fly and there fast thus making them hard to kill. I always found waterbugs to be more annoying than rats and mice. I never seen those waterbugs that look like roaches in the subway, only rats and mice lol.

Which type waterbugs are you people talking about? The ones that look just like cockroaches but bigger? I hate those types of bugs, some of can fly and there fast thus making them hard to kill. I always found waterbugs to be more annoying than rats and mice. I never seen those waterbugs that look like roaches in the subway

Yup, those. And if you've never seen them, don't worry. You will. Sometimes those little f**kers will run right towards you, and I mean run.

As far as the rats go, if you ever have to enter the tunnels as an employee, the best thing to do is make noise. What I do is wrap my keys and reverser around my brake handle and shake it as I walk. Most of the time the rats hear you coming and try to avoid you.

Yup, those. And if you've never seen them, don't worry. You will. Sometimes those little f**kers will run right towards you, and I mean run.

As far as the rats go, if you ever have to enter the tunnels as an employee, the best thing to do is make noise. What I do is wrap my keys and reverser around my brake handle and shake it as I walk. Most of the time the rats hear you coming and try to avoid you.

The rats hear? I thought they were deaf and were born that way due to the loud noise that the subway trains and that the only way they knew to move was due to the vibrations.

The rats hear? I thought they were deaf and were born that way due to the loud noise that the subway trains and that the only way they knew to move was due to the vibrations.

They definetely can hear. The cleaners that work the garbage train bang the doors a few times before opening them in certain locations so the rats hide rather than come storming out of the door once opened.

I have also blasted the horn and the rats run away.

Yeah they're blind..they pretty much go off of smell. Also why when they're on the platform they stay along the wall for the most part

From a website called "RatBehavior.org"...

Journey into a rat's world

Contrary to the popular view of rats as totally colorblind, rats can distinguish some colors. While humans have three kinds of color sensitive cells (blue, green, and red), rats have just two types -- a blue and a green -- somewhat like humans with red-insensitive colorblindness. That isn't all, though. The rat's "blue" cones are shifted toward the ultraviolet, a part of the spectrum we humans can't see. So rat vision is dichromatic but includes shades we cannot see in the ultraviolet range.

So rats can distinguish ultraviolets, blues, and greens, but they can't see reds. Rats also have a "neutral" point in the blue-green area of the color spectrum which might look white to them, and they cannot distinguish some blue-greens from certain shades of gray.

However, rat retinas have mainly rods (cells that perceive light and dark but no color) and only a few cones (color-sensitive cells).

Rats have the physical capacity to distinguish between greens, blues, and ultraviolets, and behavior experiments have demonstrated that they can be trained to distinguish between these colors. However, under normal circumstances rats do not appear to attend to color differences, focusing instead on brightness cues.

Lastly, rat vision is quite blurry. Cones are the cells that give us sharp vision, and rats don't have many of them. Normally pigmented rats have about 20/600 vision and probably see with some clarity only up to a few feet away. Beyond a few body lengths, normally pigmented rats would be able to see only large shapes and movement.

Albino rats have unpigmented irises that do not block light well, so their retinas are constantly dazzled with light, leading to retinal degeneration. Hence, the visual acuity of albinos is much worse than normally pigmented rats, around 20/1200. An albino rat may live in a world of shifting, undefined patches of dark and light.

Ultimately, rats probably use their vision to detect large, moving, distant objects and to orient themselves in space. At close range, rats rely on other senses: whisker touch and smell.

For more images of the world through a rat's eyes, visit the Rat Cam page.

For other info about rats, such as hearing and smell, see:

http://www.ratbehavior.org/perception.htm

They definitely can hear. The cleaners that work the garbage train bang the doors a few times before opening them in certain locations so the rats hide rather than come storming out of the door once opened.

I have also blasted the horn and the rats run away.

From the same website I just posted from...

A rat's hearing is more sensitive than our own, it picks up softer sounds than we can and detects much higher frequencies, into the range of ultrasound.

as much as i love talking about rats, i got my invite to the Protest Review Session today! its on Wednesday, July 8th at 9:30AM at 26 Washington St. in lower Manhattan. its 3 hours long and its for session 2 (i took the afternoon test on June 6th)

I got my invite today, too. It's also for 9:30Am, July 8th. I took the test at the AM session. We need to bring a self-addressed stamped envelope. They're giving us as much time to review the test as they did for taking it (up to 3 hrs).

"as much as i love talking about rats..." LOL!

does anyone know the EXACT DATE that the list from the 2003 Open Competitive Train Operator Exam will end? does our new list begin on the next day?

When DCAS officially promulgates a certified list, it has a life of four years. DCAS can extend the life of the list also. When a list is established for the test from a few weeks ago (and it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for DCAS to do that), the old list will likely have died. You can't have two lists going on at the same time.

for the 2009 exam, just remember that the promotional T/O list goes first. Once exhausted, then they go to the open competitive list. That is why the 2003 open competitive list is still being used.

I know this stuff is rather bureaucratic, but I know this from years of government experience.

Yeah they're blind..they pretty much go off of smell. Also why when they're on the platform they stay along the wall for the most part

I thought they were on the platform because they didn't need the express and were waiting for the local to get home to their wife and 3000 children?

From a website called "RatBehavior.org"...

Journey into a rat's world

Contrary to the popular view of rats as totally colorblind, rats can distinguish some colors. While humans have three kinds of color sensitive cells (blue, green, and red), rats have just two types -- a blue and a green -- somewhat like humans with red-insensitive colorblindness. That isn't all, though. The rat's "blue" cones are shifted toward the ultraviolet, a part of the spectrum we humans can't see. So rat vision is dichromatic but includes shades we cannot see in the ultraviolet range.

So rats can distinguish ultraviolets, blues, and greens, but they can't see reds. Rats also have a "neutral" point in the blue-green area of the color spectrum which might look white to them, and they cannot distinguish some blue-greens from certain shades of gray.

However, rat retinas have mainly rods (cells that perceive light and dark but no color) and only a few cones (color-sensitive cells).

Rats have the physical capacity to distinguish between greens, blues, and ultraviolets, and behavior experiments have demonstrated that they can be trained to distinguish between these colors. However, under normal circumstances rats do not appear to attend to color differences, focusing instead on brightness cues.

Lastly, rat vision is quite blurry. Cones are the cells that give us sharp vision, and rats don't have many of them. Normally pigmented rats have about 20/600 vision and probably see with some clarity only up to a few feet away. Beyond a few body lengths, normally pigmented rats would be able to see only large shapes and movement.

Albino rats have unpigmented irises that do not block light well, so their retinas are constantly dazzled with light, leading to retinal degeneration. Hence, the visual acuity of albinos is much worse than normally pigmented rats, around 20/1200. An albino rat may live in a world of shifting, undefined patches of dark and light.

Ultimately, rats probably use their vision to detect large, moving, distant objects and to orient themselves in space. At close range, rats rely on other senses: whisker touch and smell.

For more images of the world through a rat's eyes, visit the Rat Cam page.

For other info about rats, such as hearing and smell, see:

Wow, I actually feel kind of sorry for them now.

I'm just curious has anyone in the MTA been bitten by a rat. I have see some rats that are the size of a kitten on the tracks. Yes I did I saw it with my own eyes.
Ha Ha...get used to the rats!They eat VERY good down here.I wish I could bring you in the garbage room at 42st. grand central station...I swear to you, it WILL change yur life...lol

Archived