Progress on new South Ferry?

R1Toasty

Just wanted to know what's happening with the construction. I saw this picture on the internet today, and it seems they're attacking the inner loop (I don't like that, bad MTA...). Any idea what's going to happen to the old SF? And where are they actually putting the new one? (As in, where does it connect?)

The "Old South Ferry" will remain as is since its a landmark, they will use it to store snowbirds from what i remember what i was told when i worked in the A Div.

The "new" South Ferry will be just a connection away just south of Rector Street if you "look" to the right going towards South Ferry you will see a new tunnel, thats leading to the new South Ferry.

The "Old South Ferry" will remain as is since its a landmark, they will use it to store snowbirds from what i remember what i was told when i worked in the A Div.

The "new" South Ferry will be just a connection away just south of Rector Street if you "look" to the right going towards South Ferry you will see a new tunnel, thats leading to the new South Ferry.

Sounds like good news. Will the train still pass through the old South St station to get to the new station or will go a different route? I'm a bit confused about the whole thing.:confused:

Sounds like good news. Will the train still pass through the old South St station to get to the new station or will go a different route? I'm a bit confused about the whole thing

Negatitve...

Just after Rector Street the "new" tunnel is being worked on, once the train leaves Rector it goes off to the right and towards the new station..

Wont see the "old' South Ferry from the 1 Line but if you happen to ride a 5 train through that Loop you will.

Sounds like good news. Will the train still pass through the old South St station to get to the new station or will go a different route? I'm a bit confused about the whole thing.:confused:

Maybe this image can shed some light on the subject.

diorama_1.jpg

• 6 months later...
The station is ahead of schedule and will be completed in November.

That's my queue to stop in for some photos next time i'm at WTC. Will take the (1) down there and spend a while snapping some shots, will get some above ground shots as well.

I dunno about the rest of you, but i really like SFS, though it is WAY too short to continue to be practical during peak times when folks go to and from staten island & the other ferries. If it was longer i'd say keep it in service. I think from a "just in case" perspective they'll keep the outer platforming loop intact. I am glad this is going so quickly. I guess the same can't be aid for SAS huh?

- Andy

However it would be possible that (5) trains may stop at the Old south ferry station when the new one is built...would be interesting and if they did no need to fumigate trains at the Green since the inner loop is non revenue track

However it would be possible that (5) trains may stop at the Old south ferry station when the new one is built...would be interesting and if they did no need to fumigate trains at the Green since the inner loop is non revenue track

That would be interesting if they added S. Ferry service to the trains that terminate at Bowling Green, but I bet the (5) will stay as it is.

Dang, the last of the loop stations is almost gone B). It would be pretty cool if the (5) would stop at SF, but I can't see how it would work without major service changes (seeing as right now it goes into brooklyn most of the time). I suppose there'll be a transit museum tour sometime of the old SF (maybe the inner loop, I want to see that some day). Oh well, we'll see what our new straight SF brings.

No R142s cannot stop at the south ferry loop station. There big ass doors wont line up right with the gap fillers why do you think during G.Os 142s always skip south ferry???

And due to track connections the (5) cannot stop at the new station ethier. But 142s are cleared to stop there though.

So big doors are a defect now too?

The platform furniture is spaced in a way that doesn't allow the doors to be in certain layouts, they won't line up and there's a risk people could be exposed to the ~1foot+ gap.

- Andy

From seeing that diagram, the only thing is I think it would be smart of them to connect the New South Ferry somehow to the (4)(5) tunnels going into Brooklyn so that trains could run from South Ferry to Borough Hall (4)(5) in case either the (2)(3) or (5) trains have to be rerouted.

From seeing that diagram, the only thing is I think it would be smart of them to connect the New South Ferry somehow to the (4)(5) tunnels going into Brooklyn so that trains could run from South Ferry to Borough Hall (4)(5) in case either the (2)(3) or (5) trains have to be rerouted.

I don't think that would be cost effective seeing as though the ground here is mainly fill and you'd have to cut across the existing (1) tracks leading to the current station.

- Andy

It's a shame they had to get rid of the loop station. I think service on all (MTA) subway trains move faster. You don't have to wait for the other train to cross over, and you don't have to wait for the lineup as much. They should at least turn the loop into a routine stop for the train of many colors or something.

Archived