FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

Fast Track: Several Manhattan Subway Lines To Be Shut Down Overnights

MTA overnight fixes in 2012 will shut down Manhattan subway lines for up to 4 days in a row - NY Daily News

I don't think it's that bad. After all, some prefer it this way.. I don't really have an opinion on the subject though...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job (6) all the way from Athens on a huge upcoming story for NYC subway riders in which riders all over the world use. :tup:

Actually i think needs to be tried. With that said while there no 'good time' to 'shut down' a segment of any line in NYC, to close a major coordior should be done for a few days, it should be IMO say when NYC public schools are closed for holidays/vactions i.e easter/passover spring break, august summer break, etc.

The MTA expects the “all hands on deck” approach will reduce costs while increasing safety. Workers will not have to contend with passenger trains in service coming down the same track or an adjacent track. Such traffic requires time-consuming and costly safeguards like flaggers who alert approaching motormen they’re approaching a work zone and need to slow down. Flaggers also direct crews to step aside or “clear up” when a train is heading their way.
Yeah, this is what I've been thinking they might need. (They had considered it way back with the service cuts they were proposing around 20 years ago!)

Should consider it for outdoor lines like the (J) (Which they have been extensively rebuilding, basically, all up and down the line). They could use a dolly with bright lights.

Guest lance25

I'm curious as to how this will work. This isn't the same thing as the (4) outage between Brooklyn Bridge and Utica Av/New Lots Av, where the (3), (N) and (Q) (and the (J) shuttle sometimes) are right there as alternatives. Broadway isn't close to Lexington Avenue until about 23 St. And using Sixth Avenue as an alternative? Now that's just hilarious. Well, as they say, let's see where this goes.

@Eric B: I'm pretty sure residents along the Jamaica line would frown upon the aspect of having spotlights flooding through their windows or hearing construction equipment in the middle of the night.

I'm all for it its better than doing the fixing one piece at a time. The cost of money needed to do this would reduce greatly because you don't need so many flaggers and so many diversions and reroutes to do the work. Efficiency would rise and the work can be done even before they predict. Do you know how much you can do in 7 hours? Especially for the workers without having to worry of passenger trains coming through the work zones. Like the MTA said "All hand's On Deck!!" :cool::cool:

@Eric B: I'm pretty sure residents along the Jamaica line would frown upon the aspect of having spotlights flooding through their windows or hearing construction equipment in the middle of the night.

I'm not even really talking about heavy construction equipment. I mean all the routine maintenance. (Tightening rail bolts, painting, etc.) That's what's been filling up the line (apart from the track replacement they're doing now). The lights might be more of a problem east of Alabama, as west of there is mostly commercial anyway. But they could probably be made so that the light doesn't go off to the sides too much.

Well I've supported something like this a long time ago and folks said you couldn't do it because it was cause havoc. I think this can allow for work to be done faster and more efficiently and also save money, so I support it.

And your point is??? If it's okay for one neighborhood then shouldn't it be okay for all Mr. we need more subway entrances?? :P

Guest lance25

Oh, not this ish again. I'm sure you're aware of the fact that construction for a new subway entrance during the day is much different than doing construction work on an elevated line, in the middle of the night, outside people's windows.

Oh, not this ish again. I'm sure you're aware of the fact that construction for a new subway entrance during the day is much different than doing construction work on an elevated line, in the middle of the night, outside people's windows.

Really? Well what about all of the noise that they make at night working on the Second Avenue line? I guess folks can't hear that noise outside of their window. Noise is noise. The only difference is that the noise may be closer. Just find it funny that you seem to empathize with that set up a bit more... Figures. Class warfare at its finest... It's okay to have NIMBYs on the Jamaica line but not on the Upper East Side.

Guest lance25

Wow kid. You're going to pull the "class warfare" line here? When I didn't say anything about wealth or class? Let me tell you something buddy. I don't give two shits about the wealth or lack thereof of any resident in any construction zone. As you said "noise is noise". I don't think there should be construction work outside in residential neighborhoods anywhere during the overnight hours, unless absolutely necessary. Upper East Side, Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy; it doesn't matter. My original point to Eric B was that work on the elevated Jamaica line shouldn't be done in the middle of the night when people are trying to sleep. Stop trying to find shit where there isn't any.

Also, why the hell are you acting like they're digging the Second Avenue line in the middle of the night? We both know that isn't the case. Last I checked, construction stops over there around 8PM if not earlier. If you're complaining that the construction makes too much noise during the day, well that's just too damn bad. It a construction site, not the 16th hole on your local golf course.

Suppose the Lexington Avenue line was closed from 10am to 5am on the four weeknight's plan from 42nd Street to Brooklyn Bridge. This is the easiest one to imagine.

Both #4, #5 and #6 trains from the Bronx could terminate and relay on the both tracks at the uptown plaform at the Grand Central Station. Yes that is easy to imagine.

Riders could be sent by the 42nd Street Shuttle train to the westside #2 or #3 running full-time to/from Brooklyn. Plus there are other transfers at 51-53rd Streets, and at 59th Street. Previous #4 G.O.'s have used #4 trains running as a shuttle between the Brooklyn Bridge station and the Brooklyn IRT lines. So yes - it is do-able.

Mike

Wow kid. You're going to pull the "class warfare" line here? When I didn't say anything about wealth or class? Let me tell you something buddy. I don't give two shits about the wealth or lack thereof of any resident in any construction zone. As you said "noise is noise". I don't think there should be construction work outside in residential neighborhoods anywhere during the overnight hours, unless absolutely necessary. Upper East Side, Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy; it doesn't matter. My original point to Eric B was that work on the elevated Jamaica line shouldn't be done in the middle of the night when people are trying to sleep. Stop trying to find shit where there isn't any.

Also, why the hell are you acting like they're digging the Second Avenue line in the middle of the night? We both know that isn't the case. Last I checked, construction stops over there around 8PM if not earlier. If you're complaining that the construction makes too much noise during the day, well that's just too damn bad. It a construction site, not the 16th hole on your local golf course.

I don't think its a bad idea if they can just keep the noise down. Replacing switches and signals shouldn't make too much noise.

People don't need to say things directly. Their words imply a lot buddy. I just find it interesting that you're so concerned about the noise level because it's an elevated line. Really? Give me a break man. It's okay for those folks to be pissed about noise but not Upper East Side residents because the work isn't on an elevated line... That's what I thought. What a lame excuse. And I want to see how many folks on here would call for eminent domain and all of that other nonsense if these folks on the Jamaica line really got pissed and started complaining (which by the way they have every right to do and they should do to protect their community and houses and such.) Be honest and admit that there are two standards. Folks with money aren't supposed to be able to complain because they're seen as already having power and those with less can complain because they're seen as the less fortunate and vulnerable. As far as I'm concerned, I support EVERY community fighting to protect their quality of life regardless of their social standing.

From what I have heard, there have been complaints of noise at night. The (MTA) has been known to do work at night in neighborhoods they're working in and not state so officially, claiming that they need to in order to get more work done quicker, so it is very possible that this is taking place. I mean what sickens me is that some folks act like the (MTA) is just so concerned about the communities that they work in. Yeah, they do try to do some things, but they do **** up a lot too, so let's stop acting like they don't work in neighborhoods late at night because it does happen.

Guest lance25
People don't need to say things directly. Their words imply a lot buddy. I just find it interesting that you're so concerned about the noise level because it's an elevated line. Really? Give me a break man. It's okay for those folks to be pissed about noise but not Upper East Side residents because the work isn't on an elevated line... That's what I thought. What a lame excuse. And I want to see how many folks on here would call for eminent domain and all of that other nonsense if these folks on the Jamaica line really got pissed and started complaining (which by the way they have every right to do and they should do to protect their community and houses and such.) Be honest and admit that there are two standards. Folks with money aren't supposed to be able to complain because they're seen as already having power and those with less can complain because they're seen as the less fortunate and vulnerable. As far as I'm concerned, I support EVERY community fighting to protect their quality of life regardless of their social standing.

From what I have heard, there have been complaints of noise at night. The (MTA) has been known to do work at night in neighborhoods they're working in and not state so officially, claiming that they need to in order to get more work done quicker, so it is very possible that this is taking place. I mean what sickens me is that some folks act like the (MTA) is just so concerned about the communities that they work in. Yeah, they do try to do some things, but they do **** up a lot too, so let's stop acting like they don't work in neighborhoods late at night because it does happen.

I love how you're trying to twist an argument against doing major construction work on elevated line outside of people's windows in the middle of the night into some class warfare "rich v. poor" crap. Get over yourself. If there was an elevated line on Second Avenue, I'd be making the exact same argument because as you so eloquently said "noise is noise".

Anyhow, if the contractors are actually digging and doing all this construction on Second Avenue during the overnight hours, then that's a legitimate concern that should be taken to the appropriate channels. If you're complaining about construction noise during the day, well, there isn't much that can or will be done about that. Freak accidents and personal injuries due to the project are things that can and should be dealt with. Noise in a construction zone during the day; well that's like complaining that the sun is too hot in the summer.

Now let's try to keep this on topic. How does a hypothetical question turn into something completely different?

I agree about elevated routes: it's late at night and it means they'd need to use those blinding 'flood lights' to do construction. People are trying to sleep. If this was underground, then that's a different story as the noise is focused below ground and shouldn't disturb too many people.

So while continuous work is ideal, for elevated lines, it would be a problem along the residential areas. That I agree with. It has nothing to do with class at all.

Guest lance25

Incoming Details:

Scheduled Overnight Shutdowns (10PM-5AM)

1/9-1/13/2012 - No Lexington Avenue service between Grand Central & Atlantic Av

2/13-2/17 - No 7th Avenue service between 34 St-Penn Station & Atlantic Av

2/20-2/24 - No 6th Avenue service between 59 St-Columbus Circle & W 4 St

3/12-3/16 - No 8th Avenue service between 59 St-Columbus Circle & Jay St-MetroTech

Other Pilot Maintenance Programs (24/7)

• no Manhattan-bound (F) local service between Parsons Blvd & 71 Av (9 days)
  • no (D) express service in the Bronx (9 days)
  • no (D) service between Bay Pkwy & Coney Island (16 days, busing)
  • no (2) service between 241 St & Nereid Av (16 days, busing)

SubChat post

MTA Press Release

Committee Presentation

Edited by lance25

I love how you're trying to twist an argument against doing major construction work on elevated line outside of people's windows in the middle of the night into some class warfare "rich v. poor" crap. Get over yourself. If there was an elevated line on Second Avenue, I'd be making the exact same argument because as you so eloquently said "noise is noise".

Anyhow, if the contractors are actually digging and doing all this construction on Second Avenue during the overnight hours, then that's a legitimate concern that should be taken to the appropriate channels. If you're complaining about construction noise during the day, well, there isn't much that can or will be done about that. Freak accidents and personal injuries due to the project are things that can and should be dealt with. Noise in a construction zone during the day; well that's like complaining that the sun is too hot in the summer.

Now let's try to keep this on topic. How does a hypothetical question turn into something completely different?

Well I still have a problem with your argument.... My problem is your assumption that there is not as much noise because the work is supposedly being done underground, but I think that's a poor assumption. Hypothetically speaking yes, I would agree, but things don't always work that way. Work after dark can be done, so long as it is well underground without tons of noise above ground after normal working hours. Even during the day noise should be kept at a minimum where possible. I mean just because it is the daytime doesn't mean that no sort of consideration should be made to keep noise levels at decent levels. There are people that work at night and sleep in the daytime too.

Incoming Details (from SubChat until I find a better source):

Scheduled Overnight Shutdowns (10PM-5AM)

1/9-1/13/2012 - No Lexington Avenue service between Grand Central & Atlantic Av

2/13-2/17 - No 7th Avenue service between 34 St-Penn Station & Atlantic Av

2/20-2/24 - No 6th Avenue service between 59 St-Columbus Circle & W 4 St

3/12-3/16 - No 8th Avenue service between 59 St-Columbus Circle & Jay St-MetroTech

Other Pilot Maintenance Programs (24/7)

• no Manhattan-bound (F) local service between Parsons Blvd & 71 Av (9 days)

• no (D) express service in the Bronx (9 days)

• no (D) service between Bay Pkwy & Coney Island (16 days, busing)

• no (2) service between 241 St & Nereid Av (16 days, busing)

SubChat post

MTA Press Release

I posted that on subchat, source is this:

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/LineSegmentClosure111114.pdf

Well I still have a problem with your argument.... My problem is your assumption that there is not as much noise because the work is supposedly being done underground, but I think that's a poor assumption. Hypothetically speaking yes, I would agree, but things don't always work that way. Work after dark can be done, so long as it is well underground without tons of noise above ground after normal working hours. Even during the day noise should be kept at a minimum where possible. I mean just because it is the daytime doesn't mean that no sort of consideration should be made to keep noise levels at decent levels. There are people that work at night and sleep in the daytime too.

But the point is that on the UES, they're not doing work at night.

He's saying that whether the area is the South Bronx or the UES, they shouldn't be doing loud work at night, whether its above ground or underground.

During the day, since most people are out and about, the noise restrictions should be lifted (though they shouldn't be louder than necessary) and again, this applies to everywhere in the city, whether the train is above ground or underground and regardless of the demographics of the area.