B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, Lekith said:

My permit reads, 

Class: B, 

Restrictions: A3 *  M* P 

Endorsements: P 

Is that correct????  I thought there was suppose to be an endorsement for air brakes, but I see there is no such thing. Just want to make sure the DMV got it right. 

I had the same reaction when I got my CDL permit!  I was at the window at the DMV after passing the test and I thought they had screwed up - the woman was very helpful though and quickly explained it to me.

Congrats on passing the test and good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Lekith said:

Anyone going on monday? I think im going to decline this appointment and keep holding off. x_x

Nervous about driving a bus? I know I am lol, but I need the job so I have to take the opportunity when they get to me. I was trying to hold out until they started calling from the 8600 track worker list but I have no idea when that list is gonna start moving.

Hey guys!...i am about to begin my studies for the CDL Permit with Passenger Endorsement and Airbrakes.....basically Chapters 1-5.

If anyone has any helpful tips while i begin this journey, would be helpful!  

I am thinking of notifying MTA of my Permit as soon as i get it...good idea?

26 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

Hey guys!...i am about to begin my studies for the CDL Permit with Passenger Endorsement and Airbrakes.....basically Chapters 1-5.

As far as your studies are concerned, as I mentioned in the green announcement box at the top of the webpage, I would recommend using cristcdl.com. Between going for my permit tests, followed by all of the endorsements, I used the website approximately 75 to 80 percent of the time, and I read the manual the other 20 to 25 percent of the time. Therefore, as long as you use both resources in some form or another, you should be fine.

In addition, have you thought about getting the School Bus endorsement as well? The reason why I'm asking is because, later on in life, if you want to get this specific endorsement, you will have to take another 2 1/2 hour road test in another bus, just for this specific endorsement. Therefore, as they say, you might as well "kill two birds with one stone."

As far as notifying the MTA, have you recently been invited to 180 Livingston Street for pre-employment, such as within the last month? If so, I would get in contact with "Employment Operations" to see what they can do for you. If not, you will have to restore your name back to the list. Refer to the green announcement box at the top of the webpage for more information.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Error...

On 1/23/2021 at 3:39 PM, MTAdude said:

I didn't study the book, I went to cristcdl.com.  I took all the test they had, multiple times until I scored 100 on all of them. Studied for one day. Went the next day, scored 100 on all. 

• 2 weeks later...

So ive been studying for the permit and I am almost ready to make the appointment at the DMV.

Once i pass the permit...wheres a good cheap affordable school to learn to drive a bus? I am checking Ferrari Driving School but they seem expensive....anyone know a good place that wont charge an arm and a leg?

Also...is it possible i can move forward in the Bus Operator process with only the permit?

7 hours ago, MTAdude said:

So ive been studying for the permit and I am almost ready to make the appointment at the DMV.

Once i pass the permit...wheres a good cheap affordable school to learn to drive a bus? I am checking Ferrari Driving School but they seem expensive....anyone know a good place that wont charge an arm and a leg?

Also...is it possible i can move forward in the Bus Operator process with only the permit?

A friend of mine owns a school in Ozone Park. I can send you the details if you want. 

On 2/4/2021 at 1:15 AM, MTAdude said:

Are you planning to drive a bus elsewhere before an MTA opportunity is available?  Paying for driving school would make sense then. 

If you have experience in safely operating smaller motor vehicles, a good driving record and are not intimidated by the idea of operating a 40-foot or 60-foot bus, you should be Ok with the 10-day training.  Let the MTA pay you to practice for and take the DMV exam.

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, MTAdude said:

Should I reinstate my name on the list anyway to speed up the process?

Depending on when you do this, I would restore your name to the list immediately after you have successfully taken and passed all of the multiple-choice examinations at the Department of Motor Vehicles, which are General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Passenger Endorsement (see note below). This way, you cannot be turned away for not having the required CDL (Commercial Drivers License) and/or CLP (Commercial Learners Permit).

(Note: If you can "swing" it, I would look to get the School Bus Endorsement as well. This way, if you are unsuccessful with the MTA prior to taking your road test, at least you can use the same permit at a local driving school for a "big" School Bus with air brakes, respectively. Some School Bus companies will even hire you with the permit as well, depending on where you live.)

Good luck!!

On 5/13/2021 at 9:50 PM, +Young+ said:

Depending on when you do this, I would restore your name to the list immediately after you have successfully taken and passed all of the multiple-choice examinations at the Department of Motor Vehicles, which are General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Passenger Endorsement (see note below). This way, you cannot be turned away for not having the required CDL (Commercial Drivers License) and/or CLP (Commercial Learners Permit).

(Note: If you can "swing" it, I would look to get the School Bus Endorsement as well. This way, if you are unsuccessful with the MTA prior to taking your road test, at least you can use the same permit at a local driving school for a "big" School Bus with air brakes, respectively. Some School Bus companies will even hire you with the permit as well, depending on where you live.)

Good luck!!

+Young+, are you serious about the school bus companies hiring someone with just a CDL permit?

4 hours ago, train1290 said:

+Young+, are you serious about the school bus companies hiring someone with just a CDL permit?

Yes I am, especially if you look at this post and this Indeed.com advertisement.

Going forward, as per the guidelines, if we can refrain from "off-topic posting," it would be appreciated. If you want to talk about this further, you are more than welcome to do so in this thread and/or topic.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Helen Simmons said:

hello I need help I send all my documents to ecmro on may 26 I didn’t hear from the yet 

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Second, have you considered reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here?

Good luck!!

My apologies I been reading this forum since 2013 I Know that you as well as the others are very informative and will help every reader out if there is something that the readers are unsure about Please accept this apology I couldn’t get into the forum I think my login had expired or something I thought I was asking a question to the forum this will never happen again and again please accept my apology 

• Harry unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Jackdawson said:

If I were to reinstate myself and pass , once I get to the depot would my seniority be above other since I took this test years ago? I look on other pages and couldn't find the answer.. thank you 

No. You’ll only have seniority above your classmates, if they were hired from lists after 4600. You would still be at the bottom however. 

• 5 months later...
  • +Young+ pinned and unfeatured this topic
  • +Young+ unpinned this topic