R110 A and B

realizm

I got on both trains in early Junior High School. I was there when the R110A was on display but didnt have a good camera then. The R110B I fanned on the C, from Manhattan to Jay Street. I was only 12 at the time.

The R110B in my opinion was underpowered but it seemed to be a smooth ride otherwise. 

So now the R110As are being converted into pump cars which is an interesting move to make. Throwing this out there for the sake of the thread:

Capture_zpsbeb65e6d.jpg

Some photos we have seen of the cars being modified at 207th Street Yard. Credits to Dan0579: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39660-r-110a-coming-back/

R-1108005207StreetShop7_zps4dd60fe7.jpg

R-1108004207StreetShop_zps25df1bbc.jpg

Credits to photographer Gin Yee, Doug Grotjhan and the New York Transit Museum:

10429837_663706867049605_776318764427352

I'm beginning to think that the R-110B should have been built in 5-car sets instead of 3 just like the R-110A, because after all, having a set of 9-car trains on an IND or BMT subway line can really kill a person's mood in an instant.

I rode them when they first came out back when I was a freshman in HS. For the record, one set of each are still in tact. BTW, the 110B was 9 cars because each car is 67 ft long. So no one would really notice 9 cars since it matched 8 75 ft and 10 60 ft consists.

I'm beginning to think that the R-110B should have been built in 5-car sets instead of 3 just like the R-110A, because after all, having a set of 9-car trains on an IND or BMT subway line can really kill a person's mood in an instant.

Well these cars are 67 feet long as compared to the standard 60 foot 10 car or 75 foot 75 car. So I guess they figured shortening the length of the train would decrease dwelling times as there is more doors total in the set. All and all its length will equal that of a 10 car set.

*Far Rock beat me to it. Basically what he said.

Oh wow, that first photo finally made its way to the net! I first seen that photo in a subway calendar back in the 90s.

Always wondered how they took that photo without delaying A service. Considering the three trains is blocking active revenue tracks. Also I wonder what vantage point the photo was taken from..

As for riding these trains, I ridden the IRT set on the 2 from Times Sq to Flatbush, one of my favorite subway memories ever.

• 8 months later...

If the full set off R110s is 9 cars long, where is the conductor positioned in both directions?

You could of put this in the random thoughts topic instead of reviving an old thread.

Anyways, from what I've seen, the conductor would likely be in the 4th car ot the 2nd 3 car set. (in the front)

I was 3-4 years old when I first saw the R110a. had to be between 1993-1994. I would see them on the (2) train. I used to call them the "Silver (2)" because that was the only time in my life that I saw a subway fleet not being the redbirds on the (2) train. Sometimes they used them on the <5> train. I was fascinated by them. They looked so cool to me. I honestly wish that the MTA had more of them. To me, they seem to fit the (2) train. I even remember the prototype model that was at the transit museum. I believe it was 5 cars long. I think they had the exterior destination sign have the (2) to Flatbush Av. I wish I had that prototype to call my own. At least the 110a's are somewhat still being used being now pump cars, but I do miss when they was in service.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was 3-4 years old when I first saw the R110a. had to be between 1993-1994. I would see them on the (2) train. I used to call them the "Silver (2)" because that was the only time in my life that I saw a subway fleet not being the redbirds on the (2) train. Sometimes they used them on the <5> train. I was fascinated by them. They looked so cool to me. I honestly wish that the MTA had more of them. To me, they seem to fit the (2) train. I even remember the prototype model that was at the transit museum. I believe it was 5 cars long. I think they had the exterior destination sign have the (2) to Flatbush Av. I wish I had that prototype to call my own. At least the 110a's are somewhat still being used being now pump cars, but I do miss when they was in service.

IMO the R110As were okay but the R110Bs were awful their breakdowns were ver frequent and one blew up while it was in service on the (A) train

If the full set off R110s is 9 cars long, where is the conductor positioned in both directions?

I heard the conductor is positioned the 4th or 5th car on the R110As they were some okay NTTS wish I could've rode on one

see I never got the opportunity to ride the R110B because when I was younger I was closer to the (2) than I was the (A). I honestly never even seen it in person. I only know about it through pics. I got the opportunity to ride the R110a tho because my preschool was right off of Allerton, so I got to ride the R110a when it was on the (2) and sometimes the <5>. Through the years though, growing up, I've heard and learned about the mechanical breakdowns of the R110b and then found out why the R110a went out of service for good.

Archived