On Subway, Flying Feet Can Lead to Handcuffs

The young dancers, Peppermint and Butterscotch, scanned the scattered faces aboard the New York City subway. One caught their eye.

“Are you a cop?” a performer asked, as their Q train rumbled toward Canal Street. The man waved them off. Peppermint and Butterscotch were satisfied.

“It’s showtime!” they shouted.

Music filled the train. Legs curled around the car’s graspable bars like creeping ivy. Then came a finale that surprised even the dancers: four plainclothes officers converging in tandem, and two sets of handcuffs.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/nyregion/29acrobats.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

------

LMAO... I love it.... And they should get the candy sellers "not selling candy for no basketball team" too while they're at it...  :D

Well as much as I respect breakdancing as an art, one thing has to be kept in mind. If anyone gets hurt, superiors could make the train crews unfairly liable. Much like with this rollsign vandalism plague currently happening. I believe the MTA is offering alternatives for breakdancers to perform safely on mezzazines. Unsure of the current progress made so far on that.

I can understand why many are annoyed by breakdancers on the subway cars. I mean again I like breakdancing but theres a time and place for everything. Even myself, sometimes I do get annoyed by loud music and high activity in the cars when all I need is peace and quiet after a bad day.

I still think that in this case breakdancers should be issued stiff fines, not arrested for it. Some argue that this is a form of assault, but the intent to harm is not there in this case. 

If anyone gets hurt, superiors could make the train crews unfairly liable. Much like with this rollsign vandalism plague currently happening.

I'm not doubting you, but why has it even come to this? Why the hell is every little thing that goes wrong on the train blamed on the crew, like they are some kind of powerful deities that can snap their fingers and all is well?

I'm not doubting you, but why has it even come to this? Why the hell is every little thing that goes wrong on the train blamed on the crew, like they are some kind of powerful deities that can snap their fingers and all is well?

That I don't know but really that is not fair to RTO personel. I'm not clear on why TSSs handle matters like this. 

Well as much as I respect breakdancing as an art, one thing has to be kept in mind. If anyone gets hurt, superiors could make the train crews unfairly liable. Much like with this rollsign vandalism plague currently happening. I believe the MTA is offering alternatives for breakdancers to perform safely on mezzazines. Unsure of the current progress made so far on that.

I can understand why many are annoyed by breakdancers on the subway cars. I mean again I like breakdancing but theres a time and place for everything. Even myself, sometimes I do get annoyed by loud music and high activity in the cars when all I need is peace and quiet after a bad day.

I still think that in this case breakdancers should be issued stiff fines, not arrested for it. Some argue that this is a form of assault, but the intent to harm is not there in this case. 

I think they should be arrested and fined as well.  If these kids want to "hustle", go get a job!  I've been working since I was 15 ,and that's how I got my pocket change when I was younger.  Subjecting unwilling participants to the level of noise, feet kicking, yelling and the other nonsense that goes on is completely inconsiderate of others, and is a very selfish approach.  I have never wrote in to complain, but I get extremely pissed when these people invade the subway car, and if I can move elsewhere or to another car I most certainly do.  The issue is when the cars are locked.  I think that's something that needs to be changed too because to be trapped in a car like that and locked in with nowhere to go is a safety hazard.  I'm surprised no one has considered suing the (MTA) for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to that.  In the event that someone is seriously injured by one of these idiots, it would be impossible to get help or try to get to the (MTA) personnel on the train unless you were in their car. 

I think they should be arrested and fined as well.  If these kids want to "hustle", go get a job!  I've been working since I was 15 ,and that's how I got my pocket change when I was younger.  Subjecting unwilling participants to the level of noise, feet kicking, yelling and the other nonsense that goes on is completely inconsiderate of others, and is a very selfish approach.  I have never wrote in to complain, but I get extremely pissed when these people invade the subway car, and if I can move elsewhere or to another car I most certainly do.  The issue is when the cars are locked.  I think that's something that needs to be changed too because to be trapped in a car like that and locked in with nowhere to go is a safety hazard.  I'm surprised no one has considered suing the (MTA) for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to that.  In the event that someone is seriously injured by one of these idiots, it would be impossible to get help or try to get to the (MTA) personnel on the train unless you were in their car. 

I think you have the break dancers confused with the ones selling candy for a dollar. The break dancers perform their routine for the purpose of entertaining and the attention of the riders. The kids selling candy bars on the trains are in it for the money, and they usually have the same story about selling the candy to support them self and stay away from crime, or something.

I think you have the break dancers confused with the ones selling candy for a dollar. The break dancers perform their routine for the purpose of entertaining and the attention of the riders. The kids selling candy bars on the trains are in it for the money, and they usually have the same story about selling the candy to support them self and stay away from crime, or something.

Ive always wondered where they buy the candy in bulk now that everyone is bring this up? I guess with groceries and wholesalers? 

Kids? OK fine that doesnt bother me. But I cant understand why a grown adult would do the same. As much as I can wholehardedly relate with the poor legitimately sriving hard to become financially successful who I admire, what does irk me is people who refuses to work. The jobs in NYC is there where you can make decent money, and it opens the door for other opportunities for an easy hire into an even better job.

One doesnt have to necessarily stoop this low just to make a living. If they are seriously destitute however rockbottom and really trying to escape my heart goes out to such individuals. But as for those who can clearly work a job but refuses to do so, different story.

Right.... Perform their routine and get the attention of the riders so that they give them money at the end of their "entertainment".  I know exactly what I'm talking about. 

Whenever I ridden the subway and those break dancers preformed they always had someone walk though the car asking for money at the end of the performance..

Ive always wondered where they buy the candy in bulk now that everyone is bring this up? I guess with groceries and wholesalers? 

Kids? OK fine that doesnt bother me. But I cant understand why a grown adult would do the same. As much as I can wholehardedly relate with the poor legitimately sriving hard to become financially successful who I admire, what does irk me is people who refuses to work. The jobs in NYC is there where you can make decent money, and it opens the door for other opportunities for an easy hire into an even better job.

One doesnt have to necessarily stoop this low just to make a living. If they are seriously destitute however rockbottom and really trying to escape my heart goes out to such individuals. But as for those who can clearly work a job but refuses to do so, different story.

They're all capable of working but uneducated and think that "hustling" is the way to earn money.  Like those guys that break dance on 5th Avenue... They don't know how foolish they look playing Michael Jackson songs from the 80's jumping around...  <_< I'm not sure if they like fitting the stereotype or what, but all of those people that they're out there dancing for view them in that light and would like to believe that they're only capable of either dancing or playing basketball, as if they're not smart enough to do anything else... 

That is  How it works down here... Crew gets looked at first then other options second...

Sure that's great that they're talented. But they really should be arrested for putting others in danger.

I once asked one of the candy sellers his coaches name. He never answered. The whole car laughed.

'Cause he ain't selling no candy for no basketball team...  :D

Right.... Perform their routine and get the attention of the riders so that they give them money at the end of their "entertainment". I know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've actually seen them ask money after their routine on an (A) train. They were breakdancing to Michael Jackson's Jam

I've actually seen them ask money after their routine on an (A) train. They were breakdancing to Michael Jackson's Jam

I have too and they always ask for money after their routine.  What irks me is the audacity with which they act.  They come to the middle of the car and basically demand that everyone moves out of their way, then turn up the damn radio as loud as they can, yell in your ear and almost kick you in the face depending on your location (I saw this on a Downtown (A) train) and then after they've forced you to endure their so called "entertainment" act, they turn around and ask for money.  It's like something saying well I've entertained you (whether or not you wanted me to) so "pay up".

I don't have a problem with people performing, as I do give money to performers outside of the subway car within the safety of the station if I like their performance, but we as riders should have the right to a peaceful ride and the option to not have to hear them, but they operate in a way that forces you to listen to them because they run into the car just as the doors are closing so that you can't get out and go to another car.  Most folks are coming home after a long day of work and they don't want to hear all of that noise. In my case I am usually heading to or from a tutoring session somewhere in the city and prefer a bit of quiet so that I don't have a headache to start my session.  That's why the (MTA) should unlock those doors because it's crazy to have people locked in the cars like that, especially for long distances between stations.  Those thugs know that and that's why they target the lines that they do and I don't have any sympathy for them being arrested because they have no consideration for anyone but themselves.  They probably don't even pay the fare to enter the system, yet they're harassing subway riders for money with their performance acts.

I have too and they always ask for money after their routine. What irks me is the audacity with which they act. They come to the middle of the car and basically demand that everyone moves out of their way, then turn up the damn radio as loud as they can, yell in your ear and almost kick you in the face depending on your location (I saw this on a Downtown (A) train) and then after they've forced you to endure their so called "entertainment" act, they turn around and ask for money. It's like something saying well I've entertained you (whether or not you wanted me to) so "pay up".

I don't have a problem with people performing, as I do give money to performers outside of the subway car within the safety of the station if I like their performance, but we as riders should have the right to a peaceful ride and the option to not have to hear them, but they operate in a way that forces you to listen to them because they run into the car just as the doors are closing so that you can't get out and go to another car. Most folks are coming home after a long day of work and they don't want to hear all of that noise. In my case I am usually heading to or from a tutoring session somewhere in the city and prefer a bit of quiet so that I don't have a headache to start my session. That's why the (MTA) should unlock those doors because it's crazy to have people locked in the cars like that, especially for long distances between stations. Those thugs know that and that's why they target the lines that they do and I don't have any sympathy for them being arrested because they have no consideration for anyone but themselves. They probably don't even pay the fare to enter the system, yet they're harassing subway riders for money with their performance acts.

They can actually take their act outside the subway, then they can "sweat till they bleed, is that dope enough indeed?" all they want

I was on the (A) real late at night a few years back, and a single performer got on and did a pretty pathetic dance, to be honest.

Another guy in the car yelled out "you suck! Why don't you get a real job?" The dancer actually yelled back "I make more cash tax free doing this on my schedule than if I was working at McDonald's!" 

I remember one time last month, I was on the (R) train going over the bridge and this guy came in and he started to blast his music and started to dance. I shit you not, the T/O came out the cab (we was suck at a red signal amnesty) and he told the dude "You not gonna do this in my car." Homeboy left and went to the next car all frustrated.

Everyone in the car was laughing

I remember one time last month, I was on the (R) train going over the bridge and this guy came in and he started to blast his music and started to dance. I shit you not, the T/O came out the cab (we was suck at a red signal amnesty) and he told the dude "You not gonna do this in my car." Homeboy left and went to the next car all frustrated.

You must've been one of those 160s, no?  The older (R) cars you can't go through them (R46s?)

LMAO....Maybe i need to start sitting in the 1st car

No, not unless they take their act off of the subway cars.

Yeah I agree. They need to consider doing this in mezzazine. Its legal and cops take that as a performance so they dont care. I see this all the time at 14th Street.

Archived