On Subway, Flying Feet Can Lead to Handcuffs

Yup I think thats a good compromise and Commish Bratton is supporting this move to not have to resort to arresting people for expressing art. How he will do it? Probably sensitivity training as Bratto can push for this plicy.

I could be wrong, but solicitation on trains is prohibited, because it's a nuisance and the subway is not a traveling bazaar.

It's crap to me at the end of the day.  It is another reason for NYPD to bother minority kids who do nothing but want to entertain passengers and put a little bit of money in their pockets.  Yes, true, granted it can be a nuisance and maybe tedious to see it everyday but because they don't have an actual permit and perform at lengths where they can potential make contact with a fellow patron it is given cops a reason to do something. NYC IS TURNING INTO CRAP in front of our eyes.  

It's crap to me at the end of the day.  It is another reason for NYPD to bother minority kids who do nothing but want to entertain passengers and put a little bit of money in their pockets.  Yes, true, granted it can be a nuisance and maybe tedious to see it everyday but because they don't have an actual permit and perform at lengths where they can potential make contact with a fellow patron it is given cops a reason to do something. NYC IS TURNING INTO CRAP in front of our eyes.  

I'm looking at it from another perspective, Manhattanville. I'm a retired M/M with no love for the (MTA) or NYPD. That being said these so-called "entertainers" deserve to be picked on by the PD. It's my opinion that if a person or persons knowingly commit an infraction expressly prohibited by law then they should be prepared to suffer the consequences of their action. You don't give 5-0 an excuse to mess with you and then hope to garner pity. That's just stupidity no matter how you look at it. That six letter word in your post ,p-e-r-m-i-t, is the only way to stay out of trouble down there. Otherwise they should keep their "entertaining" in the parks and playgrounds instead of confined spaces. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

It poses a danger to people on trains, and I can think of several cases where people soliciting have been less than friendly, and act like money is something that must be paid. With the trains at the crowding levels they are today, this type of behavior is simply infuriating, whether the perpetrator is black, hispanic, white, asian, or whatever.

They're only arresting people doing it in trains, not on mezzanines or on the street (and I can think of multiple locations where the people doing these things probably don't have permits), so it's not as if they can't perform anywhere. IMO, "Showtime!" is about as authentic a New York experience as Times Square, so I won't be missing it.

It poses a danger to people on trains, and I can think of several cases where people soliciting have been less than friendly, and act like money is something that must be paid. With the trains at the crowding levels they are today, this type of behavior is simply infuriating, whether the perpetrator is black, hispanic, white, asian, or whatever.

They're only arresting people doing it in trains, not on mezzanines or on the street (and I can think of multiple locations where the people doing these things probably don't have permits), so it's not as if they can't perform anywhere. IMO, "Showtime!" is about as authentic a New York experience as Times Square, so I won't be missing it.

Beat me to it.... I was gonna say that this isn't a racial issue at all, because if that were the case, NYPD would have BEEN put a stop to the shit.... Kids & young ex-cons adults have been pulling this shit on subway trains for YEARS, and it's about time something is being done about it.....

I don't remember who said it right this second in here, but whoever it was, was right.... Those breakdancers do try to Deebo standees on the train out the way, and for those that don't, they commence with the theatrics anyway - forcing standing pax to move..... So the sympathy card being played of, oh these kids is just out here tryna make a buck, doesn't fly with me - They're no different than the f***in con-artists that come on the trains with sob stories suckering people out of money.... The fake ass cordial/humble attitude that's displayed when that dirty ass hat is waved in front of passengers seeking their money, doesn't fool me one bit.....

Before they were just nuisances to me.... Now I abhor the sons & daughters of bitches that get on the train doing those jungle theatrics they call breakdancing....

Whats wrong with selling candies on the train? Its not like those candies are tempered with.

Lol... It has nothing to do with the quality of the candy :lol:

The act in & of itself is illegal, that's what's wrong with it!

You word it as if the cops are using the illegal breakdancing in the trains as an excuse to specifically target minorities. What else are the cops enforcing just for the sake of arresting minorities? Maybe the cops are simply doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Dancing definitely has to go but whats wrong with selling candy? Does it really bother people that much?

For the same reason that most apartment buildings ban solicitation, yes. It can become downright harassment, plus it also promotes more litter which is not exactly something we want more of.

Whats wrong with selling candies on the train? Its not like those candies are tempered with.

Dancing definitely has to go but whats wrong with selling candy? Does it really bother people that much?

What is it with you and the candy?

It is not the candy itself, it's the ACT that is illegal.... Yes, harassment bothers people that much - I, and plenty other subway riders don't want to hear some back-story as to WHY anyone is selling candy on the subway, let alone selling it on the train itself in the first place.... Again, It is not about the damn candy, it never is - it's about what that candy represents - a medium with which to panhandle on the subway, which is illegal.....

How many more people is it going to take to say it, for you to get the message.......

For the umpteenth time it's illegal...  <_< B35 told you the same thing a few posts above.  

Soliciting in general is not allowed. It's one of the MTA's rules.

For the same reason that most apartment buildings ban solicitation, yes. It can become downright harassment, plus it also promotes more litter which is not exactly something we want more of.

I wish the MTA would ban them from the subway for life! They are so loud, rude, and have no respect for others. No one cares about your stupid "Showtime!" One time, I almost snapped and smashed their radio after a long day. If someone's feet comes within inches of me, i wouldn't mind slapping it away. We need quiet time, not show time.

Much as i'd like to see that, I hope that was meant as sarcasm because there would be at least 3 of them. I can't imagine that scene going down well for you especially these days where all everyone is going to do is whip out a cellphone to take videos instead of calling for help. Yes you can be outraged, but sometimes escalating the situation would make things worse. Leave them for the cops to take care of. I'm sure the cops will look up facebook for the vids and keep track of the perps.

I wish the MTA would ban them from the subway for life! They are so loud, rude, and have no respect for others. No one cares about your stupid "Showtime!" One time, I almost snapped and smashed their radio after a long day. If someone's feet comes within inches of me, i wouldn't mind slapping it away. We need quiet time, not show time.

A ban on life from MTA services has zero enforceability (and is also probably not legal)

Archived