5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

Hi everyone. I have a bit of sad news. Today I was told that there wont be any classes until the end of the year. I was a bit upset seeing how they had me on hold all this time. Just for them to tell me I have one more appt. to go to. for me to be cleared. I have done every thing they asked of me. Every doc I've been to sense June have all cleared me for MTA as a B/O in passenger service. Until now four months later. Or so they said. Like they have done before. They told me that I will be in the first class. So again I have to wait it out till they began calling for B/Os again by the end of this year. Thank you locomotion. I'm trying to be. I have to go back on the 15th. To get more info about it. But thats all the info I was given today.

yeah i heard the same thing like 2 weeks ago.. thats sucks...but theres still hope for you you just got to wait like all of us..

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes your right TransitMan23 wait with along everyone ealse isn't bed in it's self. That cool. But it's the reason that I have to wait this time around is very sad. So waiting now is bitter sweet.... I say bitter, because by the time they call me back I should have been halfway though my Probation. or working some where else. $'s & %'s wise thats about 18Gs. that being the least amount. The sweet part is I still have it to look forward to. And I know I'll be coming in with some pretty cool people from here, As well as those from here that are already B/Os.

Everybody knows all about the MTA "Quack Quack Docs". They either aren't doing their job or somebody has it in for you. You sure do have a lot of patience, some people would have filed a lawsuit or tracked down whoever is trying to hold you back and got some payback to say the least.

So they say hiring will resume at the end of this year, like after the holidays, I don't believe that but we shall see. No way did they reach their quota of 1,200 B/O's this summer.

:)Hey Olegkah How r things going out there.B)

B)

I am hanging in there, we had a pick , and now i have m own run , PM run, but at least no longer on extra list, and at least now i know what i am doing and when.

Easier to plan other things.

Sorry to hear about them stopping hire process, i am sure they will resume soon, they only hire 600-700 people

(they had 7 or so classes so far? 70 or so people pass

thats at least 500 people)

Maybe they stop for now to iron things out ? that is alot of new faces out there

;)

I am hanging in there, we had a pick , and now i have m own run , PM run, but at least no longer on extra list, and at least now i know what i am doing and when.

Easier to plan other things.

Sorry to hear about them stopping hire process, i am sure they will resume soon, they only hire 600-700 people

(they had 7 or so classes so far? 70 or so people pass

thats at least 500 people)

Maybe they stop for now to iron things out ? that is alot of new faces out there

Okay, so after line training, you get a regular schedule?

PM is what time around?

Okay, so after line training, you get a regular schedule?

PM is what time around?

Well, No

you get to put on extra list, that means you will work the shift they will give you, you have no choice of the time or the line .

you may work morning shift today and tomorrow evening shift, and Monday overnight shift

4 times a year there is a pick of shift in each depot ( well 1 of them is a system pick, where you get to chose a depot to go to , if your seniority level allows you )

at the pick time there was a list of ALLLLLLLLL of the routes and shifts and times that my depot has to offer, and according to seniority level we chose what route you get to do for the next 4 month. by the time it got down to my level as you can assume the list was very slim ;)

so for the next 4 month i get my route that starts at 3-4 pm and ends at 12 at night every day.

Alot of senyor people chose extra list for this pick. The advantage of that is you get more hours, so you get more $ ( my run pays 8-10 hours a day) some runs on the extra list i did were up to 12:40 a day. The down side is you never know when you start your shift( you get your report time after 4 pm a day before ) so it makes it hard to plan things through out the day.

Plus now i can sign up for over time,i know excactly when i start, so i can for excample get over time starting at 9 am - 3 pm or so.

Well, No

you get to put on extra list, that means you will work the shift they will give you, you have no choice of the time or the line .

you may work morning shift today and tomorrow evening shift, and Monday overnight shift

4 times a year there is a pick of shift in each depot ( well 1 of them is a system pick, where you get to chose a depot to go to , if your seniority level allows you )

at the pick time there was a list of ALLLLLLLLL of the routes and shifts and times that my depot has to offer, and according to seniority level we chose what route you get to do for the next 4 month. by the time it got down to my level as you can assume the list was very slim ;)

so for the next 4 month i get my route that starts at 3-4 pm and ends at 12 at night every day.

Alot of senyor people chose extra list for this pick. The advantage of that is you get more hours, so you get more $ ( my run pays 8-10 hours a day) some runs on the extra list i did were up to 12:40 a day. The down side is you never know when you start your shift( you get your report time after 4 pm a day before ) so it makes it hard to plan things through out the day.

Plus now i can sign up for over time,i know excactly when i start, so i can for excample get over time starting at 9 am - 3 pm or so.

Thanks for explaining...with the different schedules though(and I know I have asked this before) do your days off stay the same?

Well, No

So if you work 50 hrs this week, does it work out to 40hrs straight pay+10 hrs OT? 3:00/4:0Opm-midnight isn't that bad, but I would prefer something like 12:30/1:00pm-9:00/10:00pm.

I see a lot of B/O's making over 80k yr from the NYC payroll website, they must work a lot of O/T obviously.

Ditja said he never worked any OT during his first year because he was on probation, but everybody is different.

How many minutes do they give you to pick? 5,10? 4 picks a year, I guess seniority moves fast in the DOB. Is it true that the turnover rate is 33% in the 1st year?

Gabchi: You have to change it to "bus operator's wife" otherwise they will PM you to death. There are just a handful of B/O's on here who post. Oh and put up the Fresh Pond depot logo under your screename, you know where to find it right?:cool:

So if you work 50 hrs this week, does it work out to 40hrs straight pay+10 hrs OT? 3:00/4:0Opm-midnight isn't that bad, but I would prefer something like 12:30/1:00pm-9:00/10:00pm.

I see a lot of B/O's making over 80k yr from the NYC payroll website, they must work a lot of O/T obviously.

Ditja said he never worked any OT during his first year because he was on probation, but everybody is different.

How many minutes do they give you to pick? 5,10? 4 picks a year, I guess seniority moves fast in the DOB. Is it true that the turnover rate is 33% in the 1st year?

Gabchi: You have to change it to "bus operator's wife" otherwise they will PM you to death. There are just a handful of B/O's on here who post. Oh and put up the Fresh Pond depot logo under your screename, you know where to find it right?:cool:

I just noticed that lol, I didn't even change that...um how do you change that?

Where did you get the nyc payroll site?

So if you work 50 hrs this week, does it work out to 40hrs straight pay+10 hrs OT?

That part is always confusing. If you do an RDO, you will get what that job pays plus half that time. So if it is an 8hr job you get on an RDO, you will get paid for 12hrs. If its a 10hr job, you will get 15hrs pay. This I know, cause I have done a few RDO's in buses before. If you fill out a cut slip, you should get time and 1/2 on that too. 12 minutes late, you should get 18 minutes pay. This last one I am not to sure about though, cause there are too many conflicting answers to this..........

If you regular job pays 41+hrs a week, that is all you get. O/T is built into those schedules, that is why they pay higher amounts, IIRC. I don't think if the weelky run pays 50hrs, that one gets 10 + 5 on that. Runs pay what is says, nothing more, unless you are late and fill out a cut slip. I could be mistaken on this though........

I just noticed that lol, I didn't even change that...um how do you change that?

Funny story, one day a logged in and saw "bus operator" under my screename, this was a few weeks after I took exam 8006, anyway I got a lot of PM's congratulating me, asking what depot I am working out of, lol, even Harry the webmaster PM'd me, I have no idea how it got there.:confused:

For the depot logo, go to your edit profile settings, you will see all the bus depots, choose Fresh Pond or if you want to think ahead choose Yukon or Castleton.

http://www.seethroughny.net/Payrolls/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Go to Public Authorities, MTA, NYC Transit, search for Chris Frusci, he is on there.

That part is always confusing. If you do an RDO, you will get what that job pays plus half that time. So if it is an 8hr job you get on an RDO, you will get paid for 12hrs. If its a 10hr job, you will get 15hrs pay. This I know, cause I have done a few RDO's in buses before. If you fill out a cut slip, you should get time and 1/2 on that too. 12 minutes late, you should get 18 minutes pay. This last one I am not to sure about though, cause there are too many conflicting answers to this..........

If you regular job pays 41+hrs a week, that is all you get. O/T is built into those schedules, that is why they pay higher amounts, IIRC. I don't think if the weelky run pays 50hrs, that one gets 10 + 5 on that. Runs pay what is says, nothing more, unless you are late and fill out a cut slip. I could be mistaken on this though........

I guess one should get to know the shop steward of the depot that they are in. All I know is that the union guarantees you a 40hr work week. 20 minutes for meal is a joke. From reading pick sheets online, your run pay is always more then the time you are in service. Ex. run pays 9hrs 30 minutes, time in service 8hrs 20 minutes.

Funny story, one day a logged in and saw "bus operator" under my screename, this was a few weeks after I took exam 8006, anyway I got a lot of PM's congratulating me, asking what depot I am working out of, lol, even Harry the webmaster PM'd me, I have no idea how it got there.:confused:

For the depot logo, go to your edit profile settings, you will see all the bus depots, choose Fresh Pond or if you want to think ahead choose Yukon or Castleton.

http://www.seethroughny.net/Payrolls/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Go to Public Authorities, MTA, NYC Transit, search for Chris Frusci, he is on there.

umm, that is nuts that you can look up how much someone makes! lol, I think that is crazy

umm, that is nuts that you can look up how much someone makes! lol, I think that is crazy

They are all public servants, guess who pays their salaries? we do, the taxpayers. This is public information, if they don't like it that is to bad, they can't do anything about it. I use it as a gauge to see B/O's salaries through their different pay scales.

FreshPond has 9 routes,3 of them in Queens(Q54,55,58)I am only familiar with the Q58 whch ends in Flushing. B20 goes through East NY,:eek: Jackie Gleason has 16 lines, so 9 lines isn't that much to learn. It's mainly a RTS fleet with some 05 Orions mixed in. Was today his first day of line training?

Well, No

Thats why you pick Queens.... you cannot get bumped outta your depot and you go on xtra list and pick according to seniority not being told what your doing!!:tup:

They are all public servants, guess who pays their salaries? we do, the taxpayers. This is public information, if they don't like it that is to bad, they can't do anything about it. I use it as a gauge to see B/O's salaries through their different pay scales.

FreshPond has 9 routes,3 of them in Queens(Q54,55,58)I am only familiar with the Q58 whch ends in Flushing. B20 goes through East NY,:eek: Jackie Gleason has 16 lines, so 9 lines isn't that much to learn. It's mainly a RTS fleet with some 05 Orions mixed in. Was today his first day of line training?

Friday was his first day of line training. Yes, I looked up the lines at each depot...I told him Castleton (where he wants to go) has triple the amount of lines to learn than Fresh Pond(almost 30 including express) But the difference with Queens and SI, is in SI he knows the area so even though there are more lines...it may not be so bad. He is getting a feel for Queens and trying to get to know the area.

Thats why you pick Queens.... you cannot get bumped outta your depot and you go on xtra list and pick according to seniority not being told what your doing!!:tup:

Well yes, but queens is a life sentence, can never move out till death :P

every one picks according to seniority, but if you go on extra list, they give you a run , different every day

I guess one should get to know the shop steward of the depot that they are in. All I know is that the union guarantees you a 40hr work week. 20 minutes for meal is a joke. From reading pick sheets online, your run pay is always more then the time you are in service. Ex. run pays 9hrs 30 minutes, time in service 8hrs 20 minutes.

Same thing in RTO. They have actual hrs worked, and total pay.........

Well yes, but queens is a life sentence, can never move out till death ;)

every one picks according to seniority, but if you go on extra list, they give you a run , different every day

On the list you dont get a new run everyday unless you choose to float.....you can pick a run for the week or a further notice if available.

As for a life sentence..at least you know you cant be bumped out every year and ask anyone CS is the country club of Queens!

On the list you dont get a new run everyday unless you choose to float.....you can pick a run for the week or a further notice if available.

As for a life sentence..at least you know you cant be bumped out every year and ask anyone CS is the country club of Queens!

What lines are the most preferred at CS if there are any? How many trips do you do on the Q44? 3? thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just as a continuation to day by day work at MTA i thought i would write this.

Its almost 6 month that i am at MTA.

Today i did not get a chance to pick any runs in Ulmer park, because by the time i get to pick UP is closed, so i had a choice between Flatbush and Gleason. I listened to my union rep and chose Gleason.

The pick is according to the Peg ( seniority number )

At Gleason I had a choice between couple of late runs and Extra list as well as Vocation relif list. I chose Vocation relif list.

I am number 11 from the bottom of that list ( out of 40 people ), so i will have one out of 11 runs to chose from every 4 weeks. It aint that bad i guess.

Now comes the fun time to learn all new lines, and at gleason there are alot of them.

Jan 3,2010 is when this pick starts.

One more thing. Carefull with hitting breaks while driving. If some one says they hurt them self ( no matter if they did or not ) you will get suspended until you get all your medical stuff done ( and if that happens right near the holidays, when medical is closed, the suspension will last for 6 working days ) Dont ask how i know that, or any other details. Just trust me on this ;( suspencion in this case means 8 hours siting in the depot doing nothing, moving papers around, or watching TV but not driving. I never thought that is so difficult and boring.

Another thing i just noticed, there are no RTS buses in Gleason. so thats another thing i will have to get used to.

Hello, This Site is awesome! Thanks to all for all the wonderful information. My husband will be going in for his B/O Medical Exam on Tueday 12/8 and was told if everything goes well will start on 12/20. This forum has been so helpful!

Archived