New MTA-TWU Contract Discussion

Rutgers Tube

Current T/O pay is $28.6450

Revised quotes (parentheses indicate what a standard pay raise [based on 4/4/3] would yield per hour):

Current $28.645

4/16/09: $29.218 ($29.791)

10/16/09: $29.802 ($29.791)

4/16/10: $30.398 ($30.982)

10/16/10: $31.006 ($30.982)

1/16/11: $31.900 ($31.912)

At the end of the contract, we reach (for all intents and purposes) the same hourly wage; however, we do make a lower wage for the first two years of the contract as opposed to a straight wage with the exception of the October to January period where the wage is slightly higher.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is unbelievable. This is why I think lawyers are useless ass clowns. What a surprise that Helena Williams is leading this (a lawyer). I can't wait until that blind idiot Patterson is done soiling the repuation of the democratic party and a real leader governor with the gumption to actually do the right thing and make decisions comes in, and can name someone actually reasonably fit to the position should Jay Walder not handle things properly. But hey maybe he will be decent, who knows...can't be much worse than Helena Williams. Too bad they put the squeeze on Sander, he was alright....

I'm sure the MTA has their own law department with attorneys, counsels and paralegals.

IIRC the TA, LIRR, and MNR all have(had) legal departments. There was a proposal to consolidate all of them within the (MTA) legal department. Where is the justification for hiring outside lawyers ? What I would like to know is how "binding arbitration" is not considered final anymore? Must be the new terminology being talked about these days, like "term limits", right?

What I would like to know is how "binding arbitration" is not considered final anymore? Must be the new terminology being talked about these days, like "term limits", right?

Binding arbitration is absolutely final as long as the workers get a shitty deal like last contract one of the worst in the unions history.

The thing about this whole thing that gets me the most angry is that this really isn't a good contract it is o.k. and nothing more than that! I guarantee that this contract wouldn't have passed a vote by the members because of the loss of 3 months worth of retro pay and no raise at all for 3 months. There are no actual 4% raises like what everyone else got yet the press and the authorities high paid PR machine make it seem like we got the greatest gift contract of all time.

Its an OK contract for some, crappy for others..

If you are clocking more than 80 hours a pay period, yes, the 1.5% cap puts more money in your pocket. But if you work a straight 80, it's a useless 'gain' to you..

The multiple 2%'s save TA cash over the contract duration. If your retiring under this contract, or in the next 5 years, the stepped & staggered compounding hurts your possible pension for life.. If your gonna be around for a few more contracts, as I am, your loosing a couple thousand from the stepped compounding during the duration, BUT you will be making@11+% more when the final raises are in effect. You carry future raises on top of it, plus your higher earnings help with your eventual pension..

Remember, in 8 1/2 years with Roger Twocent, he only has negotiated a LUMP SUM and 0-3-3 increases, and got us taylor law penalties.. Arbitration has produced better for us, and I will be happy to deal with them until the union gets some real leadership..

I really wish somebody would make an issue of the $350 million over budget claim..

How much was ACTUALLY budgeted for labor expenses? How much was wasted & went over budget on the new headquarters? How much was budgeted for management's increased expenses? How much is spent on advertizing the (MTA), as if they need to compete with some 'other' company?

What I would like to know is how "binding arbitration" is not considered final anymore? Must be the new terminology being talked about these days, like "term limits", right?[/QUOte]

When its rules favorably for the Politicos & propaganda machine, Arbitration IS the law, so it MUST be followed..

When the 'powers that be' wanted something different, they trudge to court asking it be set aside.. I really hope the union argues that the (MTA) HAS the ability to pay, cause it has no problem paying contractors & everybody else, except its hourly workers.. Try telling your mortgage company "I can't pay for a while cause I'm putting an extension on the house, to make it more efficient & serve YOU better!"

• 4 weeks later...
When its rules favorably for the Politicos & propaganda machine, Arbitration IS the law, so it MUST be followed..

When the 'powers that be' wanted something different, they trudge to court asking it be set aside.. I really hope the union argues that the (MTA) HAS the ability to pay, cause it has no problem paying contractors & everybody else, except its hourly workers.. Try telling your mortgage company "I can't pay for a while cause I'm putting an extension on the house, to make it more efficient & serve YOU better!"

You know, there was an excellent article in today's Chief newsletter discussing how many contracts the (MTA) awarded to outside entities and what the grand total was, and that the money spent being spent on these services is essentially being wasted, as the (MTA) can employee in-house crews for a great deal of the work performed. The (MTA)'s response? "We'll consider it."

I feel sorry for you men and women.

You know, there was an excellent article in today's Chief newsletter discussing how many contracts the (MTA) awarded to outside entities and what the grand total was, and that the money spent being spent on these services is essentially being wasted, as the (MTA) can employee in-house crews for a great deal of the work performed. The (MTA)'s response? "We'll consider it."

I feel sorry for you men and women.

There was a letter written in that same paper asking the other municipal unions for support. If we're subject to the Taylor law and arbitration is a remedy for an impasse in the talks it appears that any lawsuit after an award undermines the law itself. Isn't arbitration one of the legs the law is based on ? If the award can be overturned the Taylor law would appear to be invalid too. All stick and no carrot as it were.

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/1203mou_0.pdf

ok, so in another thread someone was nice enough to send me a link with the 2002 contract between the MTA and the TWU. instead of opening a new thread for my questions, i will post them here, even though im reading an OLD contract. just flipping through i have 2 questions already. the first one is about asking for days off. on pages 34 and 35 they mention 5 clocks around the city. this is an old system, right? cuz you guys always talk about the telephone system. also, it says between 10 and 30 days but you guys always say 20 days. was that changed too? the second one is about extra extras working 14 hour days. i thought even if you work a 14 hour day, you still have to be back the next day at the same reporting time as the day before. but page 189 states that extra extras must get at least 12 hours between 2 tours of duty. thats not bad! :cool:

hmmm, theres also a No Layoff Clause on page 134. i guess that doesnt exist anymore

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/1203mou_0.pdf

ok, so in another thread someone was nice enough to send me a link with the 2002 contract between the MTA and the TWU. instead of opening a new thread for my questions, i will post them here, even though im reading an OLD contract. just flipping through i have 2 questions already. the first one is about asking for days off. on pages 34 and 35 they mention 5 clocks around the city. this is an old system, right? cuz you guys always talk about the telephone system. also, it says between 10 and 30 days but you guys always say 20 days. was that changed too? the second one is about extra extras working 14 hour days. i thought even if you work a 14 hour day, you still have to be back the next day at the same reporting time as the day before. but page 189 states that extra extras must get at least 12 hours between 2 tours of duty. thats not bad! :cool:

hmmm, theres also a No Layoff Clause on page 134. i guess that doesnt exist anymore

The rules are different for each department when it comes to asking for days off. In almost all departments not called RTO you can very easily get a day off with only 1 days notice.

The 12 hours off for extra extra is NEVER enforced most people in the crew office don't even know about that rule, they insist that it is 10 hours. You must remember that the hours off are from your sign in time to your sign out time NOT any travel time to and from work so that 10 hours can easily become 6.

As for the no lay off clause Tousssaint gave that up and we got nothing in return for that major giveback.

The rules are different for each department when it comes to asking for days off. In almost all departments not called RTO you can very easily get a day off with only 1 days notice.

The 12 hours off for extra extra is NEVER enforced most people in the crew office don't even know about that rule, they insist that it is 10 hours. You must remember that the hours off are from your sign in time to your sign out time NOT any travel time to and from work so that 10 hours can easily become 6.

As for the no lay off clause Tousssaint gave that up and we got nothing in return for that major giveback.

wait, if the contract says 12 and they enforce 10, cant you file a grievance after you pass probation? and about the no layoff clause...DAMMIT lol. i have one at the post office, id hate to give that up

wait, if the contract says 12 and they enforce 10, cant you file a grievance after you pass probation? and about the no layoff clause...DAMMIT lol. i have one at the post office, id hate to give that up

You can file a grievance if you want but:

1. the union is useless

2. the crew office is above the "law"

3. the crew office will then make your life miserable having you start as far away from home as possible as late in your tour as possible (1159 for am) on the board.

The TA violates the contract ALOT and get away with more often then they lose. For example in RTO the contract says that we will pick twice a year but in the last 5 years twice we have had a year long pick. And the pick is supposed to start a certain number of days after the last job has been picked (forget the exact amount) but it usually doesn't start until almost 2 months after the last job gets picked.

Anyone see the news tonight? Waves of transit workers protesting in Manhattan for hours.

There were 2 protests today, one at 8:00am and another one at 4:30pm. This was in front of MTA Headquarters in midtown.

The court date for the MTA to appeal the arbitrators ruling on the contract is for October 20th, rumors are that they will most likely drop it before then.

Union leaders are also planning a system wide "Day of Outrage" for Oct. 14.

Archived