Culver viaduct rehabilitation plans

Y2Julio

was this on the (MTA)s website before? I thought i saw this

I don't think so, I can't remember where I found it. I think it was on a neightborhood site(I live near Park Slope). No matter where it came from, people should read it so they know what the service patterns will be like over the next few years.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, however I see this: The (G)'s current terminal of Church Avenue will be permanent after this project is done. That's the impression I have from here.

The TA says "4 years" which is the duration of the project. I think it might be permanent since people in Park Slope will cry bloody murder if they cut the (G) back to Smith-9th.

I'm thinking they will put laminate on the surfaces. Seeing as this is 2009 and not 1978 i dont think vandalism will be as much of a problem.

- A

I agree with this statement; I've noticed significantly less scratchiti on trains now that their windows contain the laminate (and what eyesores those scratched/etched up windows were!)

The TA says "4 years" which is the duration of the project. I think it might be permanent since people in Park Slope will cry bloody murder if they cut the (G) back to Smith-9th.

I really do hope after the project that the (G) doesn't get cut back again,i mean it's bad enough that the (G) rarely goes to Forest Hills/71 Street on Weekends.I was on the impression a few years ago that the MTA was eliminating the Queens Blvd. (G) segment permanently and cutting it back to the Court Square station as a full time terminal,what happened with that idea?

I really do hope after the project that the (G) doesn't get cut back again,i mean it's bad enough that the (G) rarely goes to Forest Hills/71 Street on Weekends.I was on the impression a few years ago that the MTA was eliminating the Queens Blvd. (G) segment permanently and cutting it back to the Court Square station as a full time terminal,what happened with that idea?

It was dropped because (G) riders went BONKERS! They were already protesting the loss of service to Forest Hills due to "GOs", so if it became permanent, then (G) riders would go off the wall! As for (G) trains going to Church Avenue, it's being debated as to whether or not will Chirch Avenue be its permanent southern terminal, but I don't thing it will get pushed back. I would like to see (F) express service return south of Church Avenue which could have (G)trains operate local past it.

I think this will be one of those things where the people will be so used to it (especially the long wanted transfer at 4th Ave), that they would never allow it to be cut back. (Different people from the last time the (G) went to Church).

I love the new (G) transfer. I don't have to wait for a crowded (F) train.

I'm not sure about the grandeur of the 4th Ave. renovations. I remember reading on Second Ave. Sagas that that project would be cut; I'm not sure if this was part of the service cuts or not but I remember reading something in the article that would suggest the latter. I couldn't find it after searching for it just now, so I'll continue looking for it later.

I'm thinking they will put laminate on the surfaces. Seeing as this is 2009 and not 1978 i dont think vandalism will be as much of a problem.

- A

Right. Crime will be back to 1978 levels soon if NYC doesn't wake up and smell the bullshit.

As for the (G) getting cut back to Smith-9th: NO CHANCE IN HELL! The area is way too politically connected for that to happen. Combine that with a TA that is willing to bend over backwards to anything and you've got a recipe for success (or disaster, depending on how bright you are).

I'm not sure about the grandeur of the 4th Ave. renovations. I remember reading on Second Ave. Sagas that that project would be cut; I'm not sure if this was part of the service cuts or not but I remember reading something in the article that would suggest the latter. I couldn't find it after searching for it just now, so I'll continue looking for it later.

They can't cut back much. The actual structure work is well under way and both stations really need the work. The reason why the viaduct is covered is because chunks of concrete are falling off the damn thing.

It's great that the paint is finally coming off the windows. The question is, how long is it before they get covered with graffiti, or broken?

Renovated elevated stations such as 74 St/Bway and the IRT Els in the Bronx sometimes have "windows" which appear to be some sort of Plexiglas or Plexiglas-like material. It wouldn't surprise me if similar designs are used at 4 Avenue. Or possibly the use of metal fences which have also been used at some of those stations. I would think 4 Av and Smith/9 Sts are considered elevated stations despite being a bit different from the traditional els.

Renovated elevated stations such as 74 St/Bway and the IRT Els in the Bronx sometimes have "windows" which appear to be some sort of Plexiglas or Plexiglas-like material. It wouldn't surprise me if similar designs are used at 4 Avenue. Or possibly the use of metal fences which have also been used at some of those stations. I would think 4 Av and Smith/9 Sts are considered elevated stations despite being a bit different from the traditional els.

Hell, instead of using windows, just leave them open and use the thick wire mesh they have on some of the West End platforms.

Archived