Jamaica last R42 Scrap train

R33WF

How come no R38 and R40 farewell trips if there is going to be one for the R42?

There technically was an R40 Slant farewell trip. All the railfans gathered on that day and put their differences aside for the sake of the Slants. I even met some new friends on that day. On days like that, anything can happen.

There technically was an R40 Slant farewell trip. All the railfans gathered on that day and put their differences aside for the sake of the Slants. I even met some new friends on that day. On days like that, anything can happen.

I would not call that a farewell trip since it was not an actual event like the last trip of the Redbirds on the (7). The R40 thing just happened to be a bunch of people who happened to show up for the last run.

I would not call that a farewell trip since it was not an actual event like the last trip of the Redbirds on the (7). The R40 thing just happened to be a bunch of people who happened to show up for the last run.

And I'm glad I was a part of that last run! I waited over an hour for that sole train but it was sure as hell worth it.

There is no reason for such a swap to occur.

1. ENY has no experience working with R32s

2. Both fleets will be entirely retired fairly shortly.

3. R32s are not significantly more reliable than R42s. (in fact, they are less reliable, but not significantly)

4. Car fleet swaps cost money.

Being as there are many reasons NOT TO perform such a swap, and absolutely NO reason TO perform such a swap, such a swap would be rather unlikely to occur.

I would say it depends on how long it will take for all the 160's to come in. It seems like it will be several months, around the middle of next year.

It would make some sense to have one pool of the older equipment, especially since one class is in better structural condition than the other. Why have a handful of what would now become oddball cars over here, with nothing to replace them with should a bunch of them break down before they can be retired?

Same reason they were so dead set on getting rid of the GE Sigma's first, and those could at least run with the rest of the 32's! So if they were consistent with that, they would get rid of these last 42's. Mechanically, the 32's aren't that much different anyway.

The R42s could easily last another year or two in service without ANY problem whatsoever. There is no reason to swap fleets whatsoever. ENY will be dealing with one fleet of SMEEs, and 207 will also only be dealing with one fleet of SMEEs. The GE R32s were a small portion of a fleet which were an ADDITIONAL fleet to take care of. Whichever cars ENY runs, theyll be running R143s, R160As, and SMEEs, regardless of whether those SMEEs are R42 or R32.

There is no reason for such a swap to occur.

1. ENY has no experience working with R32s

2. Both fleets will be entirely retired fairly shortly.

3. R32s are not significantly more reliable than R42s. (in fact, they are less reliable, but not significantly)

4. Car fleet swaps cost money.

Being as there are many reasons NOT TO perform such a swap, and absolutely NO reason TO perform such a swap, such a swap would be rather unlikely to occur.

Dude You do not make sense, and yes the R42's are going bye-bye, SO LIKE IT OR NOT, And The R32's are Way More Relialble than the R42's, That's why Jamaica still has 26 R32's, It would Make sense to send 50 R32's to ENY anyway and yes they have expreince with R32's, Becasue in the 1980's 1/4 of the R32 Fleet was at ENY for a while.

Considering that things have potentially changed greatly since my last post, I will not assert that any type of movement is out of the picture right now.

But I will assert the following:

R42s DO have a higher MDBF than R32s. That means they are more reliable. To put this as directly as I can, I know the breakdown rates of both fleets because I actually receive documentation which states them. I say that R32s break down more than R42s because for every mile an R32 runs, it is more likely to break down than an R42, for every mile that R42 runs. It is an inarguable fact.

IF R32s and R42s were both to be replaced shortly, it would make no sense to transfer them between yards.

Considering that things have potentially changed greatly since my last post, I will not assert that any type of movement is out of the picture right now.

But I will assert the following:

R42s DO have a higher MDBF than R32s. That means they are more reliable. To put this as directly as I can, I know the breakdown rates of both fleets because I actually receive documentation which states them. I say that R32s break down more than R42s because for every mile an R32 runs, it is more likely to break down than an R42, for every mile that R42 runs. It is an inarguable fact.

IF R32s and R42s were both to be replaced shortly, it would make no sense to transfer them between yards.

Not to mention saying ENY has "experience" with R32's because they serviced them more than 20 years ago and before many got their GOH is not accurate because many of those car inspectors have moved on or moved to other places since then...it was a long time ago. That would be a little like saying that Jerome has Lo-V experience

That depends on whether half a year is considered "shortly". (It could be, but then, it is still long enough time for them to make such a switch, and "live with" one class to maintain and possibly interchange if needed, rather than two).

I also wonder if a nominal MDBF figure will be more important, than overall body/structural condition in a operiod of that length.

Archived