Graffiti Days

Dan05979

Guest Charles

I agree completely. I think the graffiti era highlighted the cultural movement in New York City. Some people don't realize the difference between graffiti and vandalism. Graffiti is art, while vandalism is not

The Subway during those days wasn't that good looking, but the way people acted, like the cops, now that is a :tup: ! Unlike today which cops start jumping out of no where and talk 9/11 crap to you all day.. Man the olds was the best!

Great find!

I wouldn't be averse to letting good graffiti artists like on some of those full-wrap shots paint up some of the current. Heck, maybe the MTA can set up a system where you pay for the permission to paint up a car or two.

That sounds like a good idea. But the only problem with that is that some poeple is gonna think of it as 'vandalism' and not 'art'. Other than that, I loved the graffiti era.

I wouldn't be averse to letting good graffiti artists like on some of those full-wrap shots paint up some of the current. Heck, maybe the MTA can set up a system where you pay for the permission to paint up a car or two.

Why don't you have a thank-you button?:mad:

That sounds like a good idea. But the only problem with that is that some poeple is gonna think of it as 'vandalism' and not 'art'. Other than that, I loved the graffiti era.

Make it like the shuttle wrap.

look at that,a camera pointed toward cops and they dont mind,even if its in the subway,now cops will jump if you point it toward the subway. grafitti era was the best! i wish i can go back in time and see how the subway was like

I agree with you 100 percent :tup:

Also look at that time there was no Transit Bureau,a seperate department called New York City Transit Police

I remember back in the day they used be on the buses as well,now it's highly unlikely to see a city cop on the bus these days

These old school guys had a respect for the people and there training was far more different back then.These new officers and their training and people skills are horrible.

Hey, plenty of people have called the wraps on GCT-TS shuttles "vandalism" too.

:P

look at that,a camera pointed toward cops and they dont mind,even if its in the subway,now cops will jump if you point it toward the subway. grafitti era was the best! i wish i can go back in time and see how the subway was like

I remember those days like it was yesterday. The subways was fine in the day time but once the sun went down ,you wanted to be at your destination. NYC was wild and some of the lines were notorious. A,D,J and the 2,6 were no no's traveling alone at night.

The whole mentality was different. I loved the graffiti era! I just wish I was around for it! Some excellent books to check out are: Subway Art (with a new anniversary edition with oversize pictures) and Fuzz One: A Bronx Childhood (an autobiography of a writer) as well as Subway Memories (pictures from 1970-the early 200s from a TA employee.)

The worst trains that were hit were the R16,R21, R22, R26, R30 and R33. These are some of my favorite cars. I remember when the lights were broke, one door opened and crap all over the place. All Bronx trains and East New York trains seemed to get hit the hardest.
Thats because the Bronx and East New York trains went through the worst neighborhoods,also the yards from which the trains were laid up in were in bad neighborhoods with no adequate yard security.

The Lex Line was hit often because of the high volume of people using that line. More straphangers would see the writers' names, the (4)(5) also transversed three boroughs, and the (2)(3) two boroughs. The R32s, R38s, 40s, 42s, and 46s weren't hit often because their exterior wasn't flat and the paint would appear warped in the ridges, whereas the older trains were flat, like canvasses.

The Lex Line was hit often because of the high volume of people using that line. More straphangers would see the writers' names, the (4)(5) also transversed three boroughs, and the (2)(3) two boroughs. The R32s, R38s, 40s, 42s, and 46s weren't hit often because their exterior wasn't flat and the paint would appear warped in the ridges, whereas the older trains were flat, like canvasses.
Also because those models were stainless steel which makes for easy cleaning which made bombing those models a waste of time and paint.

If the MTA is strapped for cash, why not let corporations and advertisers pay to paint the insides and outsides of subway cars? They have done something similar to the Times Square/Grand Central (S), but if they need money, why not do that to all the cars.

If the MTA is strapped for cash, why not let corporations and advertisers pay to paint the insides and outsides of subway cars? They have done something similar to the Times Square/Grand Central (S), but if they need money, why not do that to all the cars.

I don't think they would let that happend to their million dollar equiptment funded buy the government.

The Times Square shuttle trains are wrapped with stickers.

Archived