Subway train kills cell chatter

CPBO

Had to have been an Iphone SMH.DAMN YOU STEVE JOBS!!!

I don't understand why is it so hard to look to see if there is a train coming first before being brave and jumping on the tracks to get the phone. I guarantee that phone did not fall exactly on the rail so anywhere else the phone would have been fine. But this is the world today with people not using common sense, like what i have to deal with all day people crossing the street not looking at traffic while there texting or yapping on the phone.

AT LEAST, I would wait until just after a train passes, so I have less chances of having a train come suddenly.

Doesn't work that way. Just grab an employee and stay off the tracks. You'll get your phone back and you'll live to tell about it. Going down there yourself is always a bad idea.

No one ever "thinks" they're going to wind up hamburger, and everyone "thinks" they're smarter than the guy that got hit, and smarter than the train.

It doesn't work that way. The people that go down there go down with the exact same attitude...won't happen to me...not this time...

Find an employee instead.

Unless they reroute express trains on the local track.

- A

Signaling would still give me some time.

Doesn't work that way. Just grab an employee and stay off the tracks. You'll get your phone back and you'll live to tell about it. Going down there yourself is always a bad idea.

No one ever "thinks" they're going to wind up hamburger, and everyone "thinks" they're smarter than the guy that got hit, and smarter than the train.

It doesn't work that way. The people that go down there go down with the exact same attitude...won't happen to me...not this time...

Find an employee instead.

I know. For those who don't, just wait until the train goes by.

There are some stations where you can receive reception in the system. Some of the original IRT stations allows you to get reception because they are so close to the ground and if the person is either standing by the mezzanine (either in or out of fare control) or if you're standing under open space. 72nd Street on the (1), (2) and (3) is one example.

The mezzanine (or the little area just inside and outside fare controls) in many stations do allow reception; I often make calls from local stations along the Broadway line. Didn't think you could get coverage from the platform though, except at stations like Grant Avenue (A) which lies at the end of a underground line.

I witnessed a girl at grand central go down onto the tracks last night. I don't know what she dropped down there but that coupled with the group of kids at Fulton St on the (4)(5) who crossed the tracks to get to the bronx bound platform...I honestly have to say we have a lot of stupid people in this city.

I witnessed a girl at grand central go down onto the tracks last night. I don't know what she dropped down there but that coupled with the group of kids at Fulton St on the (4)(5) who crossed the tracks to get to the bronx bound platform...I honestly have to say we have a lot of stupid people in this city.

What about the kids who decided they wanted to go to the other side of the platform at either 103 (6) or 110 (6), decided the fastest way was to play chicken with the trains during the PM rush, and one of them got picked off...

...by an express train.

Look, what I mean by saying no one should go down there is exactly that. Get an employee. Even if the signal is red, and you've stood there and watched the signal for the last 30 years and it always stays red for at least two minutes.

How many of you have walked tracks? How many of you have climbed down a 4 foot platform onto track that is often slippery and wet? How many of you have the arm strength to get back up? You might think you do, but you might not, and you won't find out till it's too late. Secondly, if you go down there, you are not protected by flagging, and NO ONE KNOWS YOU ARE THERE. When a TA employee goes down there, they have been trained, they have walked tracks before, they know the hazards, and someone knows they are there. So you might think "OK I've watched the signal for the last 30 years and it's always red for 2 minutes, that's enough time" but if you go down there, slip, bash your head on the rail and go unconscious you won't even KNOW what hit you (or ran over you) and at that point all you can do is hope you wore bright clothing that day and that T/O sees you in time. And no one expects that, but it can and does happen, just like how 99% of people who fall through the gap say "I was walking, and then I don't know what happened, and I fell" and that's all it takes and everything up to now that you've been living your life for...done, cuz you went down on the tracks and something caught you off guard.

There's no reason to risk your life over something as stupid as a phone that can be replaced very easily.

People dont realize that a platform is roughly 4 feet high from the tracks (doesn't look like it looking down) and it requires great upper body strength to lift yourself back up...or good leg strength to jump up/propel yourself enough to let your arms do the rest. It's ALWAYS stupid to go down on the tracks for anything, however at least know the direction in which the train is coming, and NEVER go down if the item is near the incoming tunnel (a T/O would never be able to stop coming in at normal speeds. If you were at the middle of the plat or end for the matter, instead of trying to climb up, you can dash to the (end=front) of the plat and use the employee steps to get back up. This isn't a lesson to go up and down, because it's always stupid to do as I said, but incase someone feels like being stupid...hopefully this will help them at living from that choice.

Cion Jones

What about the kids who decided they wanted to go to the other side of the platform at either 103 (6) or 110 (6), decided the fastest way was to play chicken with the trains during the PM rush, and one of them got picked off...

...by an express train.

I failed to hear about that. Sorry :);; the incidents I mentioned I had seen happen myself. There isn't anything i could lose on the tracks that's so important I'd go down there to get myself. But that's just simply because I'm afraid to die that way LOL.

Shoot man I am track qualified and I wouldnt even bother going down to the roadbed for anyone. Especially at 110th northbound the train is coming in at least 35 mph+. I was working on the (D) when this happened and we were just passing by the 110th when the T/O called in the incident it sucks for him to have to see that crap. I have no remorse for idiots who think a phone is more important than their lives.

There was also another incident on Friday at Avenue N of the (F) I dont know if the person jumped but they survived amazingly.

Shoot man I am track qualified and I wouldnt even bother going down to the roadbed for anyone. Especially at 110th northbound the train is coming in at least 35 mph+. I was working on the (D) when this happened and we were just passing by the 110th when the T/O called in the incident it sucks for him to have to see that crap. I have no remorse for idiots who think a phone is more important than their lives.

There was also another incident on Friday at Avenue N of the (F) I dont know if the person jumped but they survived amazingly.

I'm curiose, how did the t/o sound over the radio when he called that in?

Are we even sure this guy went onto the tracks intentionally?

The story I heard is he was talking on a cellular telephone and somehow dropped his music player on the tracks.

Apparently, he went to retrieve his music player and.....

Sadly, the last two things he did in life was to talk angrily/heatedly on a cellular telephone and to stand up only to see a (:P train.....

Not sure how he dropped his music player or why he was talking angrily/heatedly on the cellular telephone but this is what I heard.

(:) and (C) trains were by-passing 110th Street northbound for around two hours.

AT LEAST, I would wait until just after a train passes, so I have less chances of having a train come suddenly.

DON"T DO THIS PLEASE. The only time you might have less chance is late night when trains average twenty minutes except that now many lines (Lexington Avenue (4)(6); Seventh Avenue (1)(2); Lenox Avenue (2)(3); Eighth Avenue (A)(E)) have two trains actually meaning ten minute spacing.

DON"T DO THIS PLEASE. The only time you might have less chance is late night when trains average twenty minutes except that now many lines (Lexington Avenue (4)(6); Seventh Avenue (1)(2); Lenox Avenue (2)(3); Eighth Avenue (A)(E)) have two trains actually meaning ten minute spacing.

Any train can move in any direction on any track at any time!

I'm curiose, how did the t/o sound over the radio when he called that in?

Very Very very very very shook up @ first...

Then the training took over and he sounded much calmer.

Now not everybody can sound cool and calm after an incident such as that, some people lose it.

I have heard tranmissions like that(even my own) quite a few times over the years and everyone of them is different..

Archived