Subway train kills cell chatter

CPBO

By CHRISTINA CARREGA and TIME PERONE

man who'd been talking on his cellphone -- and then apparently tried to retrieve something he'd dropped on the tracks -- was struck and killed by a train as it pulled into an upper Manhattan station last night.

The 33-year-old victim, whose name wasn't immediately released, was hit by the southbound B train about 7:30 p.m. at the 110th Street station.

"I saw a guy sitting on the stairs talking on his cellphone, then I saw him leaning over the tracks watching for a train to come, when, all of a sudden, he was nowhere to be found," said one witness. Police said the victim may have dropped something on the tracks and gone after it but couldn't get back on the platform before the train pulled in.

"There was a phone involved but we're not sure that's what he went after," an officer said.

Oh man. I'm sorry that this had to happen but the guy should have been wary that stepping on the tracks is a huge no-no. I hope everyone else now knows the consequences for this.

Yup! Simply get a T/A worker to get it.. But still its better not to use the cell until your out of the system!

RIP man!

Oh man. I'm sorry that this had to happen but the guy should have been wary that stepping on the tracks is a huge no-no. I hope everyone else now knows the consequences for this.

just read this story online in the paper and how sad. Yes i am aware ipod's are expensive ie $150 & up but it is really worth risking(and this guy getting killed)going on the tracks? sorry to sound harsh but what was this guy was thinking as nyc subway tracks has live electricity.

if possible he should try to find and get a track worker asap at the station or take the loss. then if the ipod was crushed then work couple of hours to get a new ipod or ask his family if of school age to get a new ome. again rip bro and my smpanthies to his family.:cry:

just read this story online in the paper and how sad. Yes i am aware ipod's are expensive ie $150 & up but it is really worth risking(and this guy getting killed)going on the tracks? sorry to sound harsh but what was this guy was thinking as nyc subway tracks has live electricity.

if possible he should try to find and get a track worker asap at the station or take the loss. then if the ipod was crushed then work couple of hours to get a new ipod or ask his family if of school age to get a new ome. again rip bro and my smpanthies to his family.:cry:

I remember one time some guy at the Metropolitan Avenue (G) train station dropped his iPod on the tracks, and he was like "to hell with it" and left, but some teenager, without being asked, jumped onto the tracks and got the man's iPod for him. There was no train in sight either. And recently, some guy dropped his wallet onto the tracks and he jumped down to get it.

Luckily, I haven't dropped anything of mine onto the tracks as of yet, but if I have, although I may have the instinct to get it myself, I'll tell a cop or TA worker to prevent myself from getting in trouble, for my own sake and for the TA's so they won't have a mess to clean up after.

Sheesh. While a death in the subway is sad, anyone should know better than to jump onto the tracks to retrieve dropped items. Who cares if a train runs over it and destroys it? It isn't worth risking your life for.

The article seems very vague though; no one seems to know whether he jumped to look for something or just leaned too far and fell.

By the way, how did he get reception on his cell phone in an underground station?

By the way, how did he get reception on his cell phone in an underground station?

There are some stations where you can receive reception in the system. Some of the original IRT stations allows you to get reception because they are so close to the ground and if the person is either standing by the mezzanine (either in or out of fare control) or if you're standing under open space. 72nd Street on the (1), (2) and (3) is one example.

There are some stations where you can receive reception in the system. Some of the original IRT stations allows you to get reception because they are so close to the ground and if the person is either standing by the mezzanine (either in or out of fare control) or if you're standing under open space. 72nd Street on the (1), (2) and (3) is one example.

110th Street stations seem to be close to the surface on every line... I've gotten spotty service there on the (1) and (6), too!

110th Street stations seem to be close to the surface on every line... I've gotten spotty service there on the (1) and (6), too!

I remember taking my SAT at Columbia University and I got reception at the 116th Street station on the (1).

What a jackass. Hope the train crew is ok and can get past this event. It's only them and the first responders that I feel sorry for when something like this happens.

100% agreed.

Sorry for the train crews, emergency response, and supervision that had to witness this. It is not fair to them.

As for that idiot, Darwin award to be given posthumously of course...rest in pieces. These overuse-of-cell-phone idiots just don't get it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

100% agreed.

Why this idiot was so close to the tracks to drop something onto them is a mystery in the first place. Who am I to complain though? My shoulders just got a little more roomy.

my stance here is that ignorance is never an excuse, so to be honest, as sad as this may be, he had it coming for him. and this applies to anyone who is careless with the cell phone, particularily while driving. i see people all the time on their phones on the road and each time i shake my head and either hope there's a vigilant cop down the road, or that they get in some shakeup that doesn't kill them, but is enough to change their behaviors.

By CHRISTINA CARREGA and TIME PERONE

man who'd been talking on his cellphone -- and then apparently tried to retrieve something he'd dropped on the tracks -- was struck and killed by a train as it pulled into an upper Manhattan station last night.

The 33-year-old victim, whose name wasn't immediately released, was hit by the southbound B train about 7:30 p.m. at the 110th Street station.

"I saw a guy sitting on the stairs talking on his cellphone, then I saw him leaning over the tracks watching for a train to come, when, all of a sudden, he was nowhere to be found," said one witness. Police said the victim may have dropped something on the tracks and gone after it but couldn't get back on the platform before the train pulled in.

"There was a phone involved but we're not sure that's what he went after," an officer said.

Idiot Plain and simple.....:tdown:

I just realized another thing: the title here is misleading.

No subway train has ever killed anybody. People have killed themselves by getting in their way however.

This what they say to the T/O as soon as he/she has a 12-9 when some person falls to the roadbed or they are messing around and the train they are operating takes the person out..

"ITS NOT YOUR FAULT"...

I should know....:(

i remember once when my train pulled up to hunters point and as a woman went to board the train by my position she dropped her cellphone and kicked it. we both watched it slide across the platform and fall between the gap. she then had the nerve to ask me if i could go get it for her. haha. how the hell was i supposed to do that when my train was still in the station? silly, silly woman. i wouldn't have done it either way. i told her to go to the station agent. :confused:

perhaps the idea of having cell phone service in the subway isn't such a good idea after all. :tdown:

i remember once when my train pulled up to hunters point and as a woman went to board the train by my position she dropped her cellphone and kicked it. we both watched it slide across the platform and fall between the gap. she then had the nerve to ask me if i could go get it for her. haha. how the hell was i supposed to do that when my train was still in the station? silly, silly woman. i wouldn't have done it either way. i told her to go to the station agent. :confused:

perhaps the idea of having cell phone service in the subway isn't such a good idea after all. :tdown:

I already get no cellphone service underground so I don't bother whipping my phone out unless it's to see the time.

There is a bigger problem with the homeless at 181st (1) subway station. A homeless man crosses the tracks to get to the other platform instead of using the small bridge to the other platform. The man jumped onto the tracks after the train had left but was unaware of the R62A coming towards the station. He jumped to the other platform seconds before the train had arrived. This is similar, but has no reason to go to the subway tracks. Lucky man.:mad::(:tdown::eek::confused::)

...The 33-year-old victim, whose name wasn't immediately released, was hit by the southbound B train about 7:30 p.m. at the 110th Street station....

OMG this is the incident I was talking in the thread I posted last night. And it was a northbound (C) train, not a downtown (:( train.

But its always sad to hear about stuff like this happening. Its like people these days care more about stuff that can be replaced over their own lives which can't be replaced.

Archived