"Astoria Straphangers Outraged By (W) Train's Departure

EE Broadway Local

TRANSIT

12/16/2009 03:19PM

"Astoria Straphangers Outraged By W Train's Departure"

By Roger Clark

Subway riders both young and old are expressing frustration over the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board's vote today in

favor of cuts, which include the elimination of the W line and free MetroCards hundreds of thousands students. NY1's Roger Clark filed the following report.

Straphangers in Astoria say removing the (W) train is not right.

"I'll have to leave a lot earlier", said one rider.

"I think it's unfair to cut such a thing", said another (rider). "New York is a very crowded city. It's becoming more and more crowded every year. Everyone is coming from other states, other countries, and they should let the (W) run."

Under planned service cuts, the (W) would be history next spring - leaving commuters in Astoria with just the (N) to get them into Manhattan. However, the (Q) train would be extended into the neighborhood to help make up for the loss of the (W).

"It will affect the line overall. Much too crowded on the (N)," said a straphanger.

Not only will the (W) vanish, but free MetroCards for students will be phased out too. Kids heading to high school in Long Island City say they find that worrisome.

"Horrible, because students need it, and that's like a lot of money throughout the whole year", said another (student).

"I think that's really dumb because we're students, some people don't work, and we don't know how to pay for it", said a third (student).

Governor David Paterson said he will find a way to preserve the Student MetroCard Program.

Still, commuters are expressing outrage at the MTA for its' action.

"I think its' their problem. I think they need to get their house in order", said a third (straphanger). "They keep on raising prices and cutting service. I don't understand how they can't figure it out."

One commuter talking about the (W) train disappearing took it in stride, saying he hardly sees the train running anyways.

EE's Note: How do you feel about the pending loss of the (W) and pending extention of the (Q)?

That's if it ever opens... but right now since that segment is not open, I think only a few Qs would go to Queens to help out the N. This way Astoria riders will still have a choice of a 1 seat local or express ride. N has to run local from 34th to Prince st [like it does on weekends] as there's no way they can expect the R to be the only local on Broadway.

If another Broadway plan goes into effect, the (N) would run via the Manny B. late nights and City Hall, Cortlandt Street (Northbound), Rector Street and Whitehall (plus I presume Court Street and Lawrence Street) would close late nights.

I'm not 100% sure if this indicates the (N) would stay express and I don't know if the (R) is one of a dozen subway lines proposed for longer Midday headways.

But if the (W) is cancelled, the (N) stays express and the (R) receives longer headways during Middays, I think it might be a mess at Broadway local stations, particularly between Times Square-42d Street and Union Square-14th Street. The subway is the only transit on Broadway between these points now.

I'm not 100% sure if this indicates the (N) would stay express and I don't know if the (R) is one of a dozen subway lines proposed for longer Midday headways.

The (N) will carry some load making all stops from Canal - 34 Streets. I don't see the (R) being the only all stop train if that's the case.

The (Q) runs every 6 minutes. If they were to send every other (Q) to Astoria then that would be a (Q) every 12 minutes, up from the current (W) every 9-10 minutes. I don't see a big difference here...

I think it's an issue with communicating the fact that the (Q) is replacing the (W) in Astoria. It may be even more significant in this article since they are interviewing Astoria riders, considering that they will bear the least of the burden should the (W) go.

Anybody think of this yet? With the (W) going bye bye :tdown::tdown::cry:, and the (1) going out to New Lots beginning in the Summer, Lower Manhattan will be only the (R)(4)&(5) to the South Ferry Area. (J)(Z) to the Financial District; Broad St. Lower Manhattan/Staten Island riders are going to get hit the worst of the 2010 changes...:tdown:

The (MTA)'s administrators are a joke. :mad::tdown:

- A

This, seriously.

Also with the student metrocards, i don't get it, how are they saving money with that? If they're thinking about gaining revenue for charging, students, that's kinda screwed up.

If they want to reduce costs, then just take it back to the "paper" days and issue those out for students instead of an actual metrocard.

put it this way:

if the (W) gets cut, and if they decide to have the (Q) run up to Astoria to replace the (W), might as well do this:

(N) Express all times except Late Nights. (Late Nights Local between 57 St and Canal St, via Bridge, then Local between DeKalb Av and 59 St.)

(Q) Local between Canal St and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to replace the (W) on Weekdays. All Other times Local between Canal St and Midtown-57 St

(R) remains the same.

What u guys think?

The (N) will carry some load making all stops from Canal - 34 Streets. I don't see the (R) being the only all stop train if that's the case.

If the plan officially happens, the (N) will become a full time local again and that will suck big time. It's a damn shame that the (R) can't handle Broadway on it's own.

Anybody think of this yet? With the (W) going bye bye :tdown::tdown::cry:, and the (1) going out to New Lots beginning in the Summer, Lower Manhattan will be only the (R)(4)&(5) to the South Ferry Area. (J)(Z) to the Financial District; Broad St. Lower Manhattan/Staten Island riders are going to get hit the worst of the 2010 changes...:tdown:

So the (1) is really gonna do that this summer?...guess i'll be usin the (R) to get uptown. At least they arent doin this during the cold season. During the warmer weather the extra walk might not be bad.

Astoria riders shouldnt complain they will still have a choice of the express (Q) and the local(N) and reguarding the (N) being local i think its a good thing and will increase and improve local service along broadway and the (R) shouldnt be the only local running along broadway not with the long run the (R) train has

If another Broadway plan goes into effect, the (N) would run via the Manny B. late nights and City Hall, Cortlandt Street (Northbound), Rector Street and Whitehall (plus I presume Court Street and Lawrence Street) would close late nights.

But if the (W) is cancelled, the (N) stays express and the (R) receives longer headways during Middays, I think it might be a mess at Broadway local stations, particularly between Times Square-42d Street and Union Square-14th Street. The subway is the only transit on Broadway between these points now.

The last thing the (R) needs at this point is longer headways. If it ran anymore erraticly they might as well put the (G) back on QB

Are they going to force the N to the Broadway Local during the Rushes and Middays should this plan take place?

Yes. And by the way i mentioned in another post the(N) will run via Montague late nights.That's was thank god not part of this budget.

Archived