Areas You Would Like to Busfan More in 2010

R32 3348

I thought I would do the same thing in the bus forum, as the rail version of the thread had a lot of replies. Post up areas you think you haven't tried enough and will be giving more coverage to in 2010. I'll start off with my own list:

• Upper West Side
  • Midtown (I need to get a lot of coverage here since there's a lot of photo ops)
  • Madison Square Park area (last time I was there was January 2009 and my batteries were crapping out. The area is really nice)
  • Washington Square Park
  • 168th St. area
  • 125th St.
  • 5th Ave. (express bus shots)
  • Astoria/Sunnyside/LI City
  • Flushing/Bayside/Whitestone/College Point (outside of the over-over-overfanned Main St. - Roosevelt Ave. area)
  • East Elmhurst
  • Jamaica (again, outside of Merrick Blvd., Hillside Ave. near the subway stations, etc.)
  • Maspeth/Ridgewood
  • Williamsburgh Bridge Plaza
  • I want more shots in the Bronx, but don't have it narrowed down to specifics yet (maybe I should railfan with mark or something lol)
  • STATEN ISLAND (there's tons of great photo ops here but it's kind of out of the way)
  • Bay Ridge

I haven't been on Long Island Bus in over a year. That's due to my dissatisfaction with Roosevelt Field and the NG's replacing the Orion V CNG's.

Next year I want to try the X19 (90% of its route is on a bridge, tunnel, or highway and it uses the upper level of the Verrazano). The only problem is that it's in a part of Staten Island where backtracking to the city is difficult

I still haven't taken an express bus via the Lincoln Tunnel (though I've been through the Lincoln Tunnel half a dozen times). I'm definitely trying the X17J.

I've never been on a Bee-Line local route. I've taken the BxM4C about two or three times. If anyone has any suggested Bee-Line itineraries (preferably a limited route) then I'm open to them.

I haven't really explored the former-Command express bus routes (with the exception of the BM2). Due to safety reasons I'm staying away from the BM5.

I've completed neglected the part of Queens that's north of Flushing. I want to ride the QM2/A but backtracking is hard (Q76)

I would not rule out riding the M5 or M98 (see I do ride local routes)

Guest Charles

I've done all the Bronx and Queens express buses, but I haven't done a single Staten Island or Brooklyn one, I'd like to ride those next year.

I'd also like to go up to Riverdale and take a look there, and also Kings Plaza.

Also, I want to ride the M4 from the Cloisters to Penn Station and time the ride.

I've done all the Bronx and Queens express buses, but I haven't done a single Staten Island or Brooklyn one, I'd like to ride those next year.

I'd also like to go up to Riverdale and take a look there, and also Kings Plaza.

Also, I want to ride the M4 from the Cloisters to Penn Station and time the ride.

Hope it wont be anything like an M4 I rode on a while back... wish I can scan this old trip/time log... maybe I should start laminating these things... lol...

anyway, I rode an M4 from Penn, to the 170's... I remember getting off a few blocks past a hospital.... this took place back in the summer of '07 (cant even read the date on this paper here)...

from 10:06(am) --> 12:17(pm).... what is that, 131 mins; more than 2 hrs....

my intent was to also ride the full route, but w/ the way things looked along Ft. Washington, it looked like I would have been on the bus another 20 mins.... so I just got the hell off while I still could...

Guest Charles
Hope it wont be anything like an M4 I rode on a while back... wish I can scan this old trip/time log... maybe I should start laminating these things... lol...

anyway, I rode an M4 from Penn, to the 170's... I remember getting off a few blocks past a hospital.... this took place back in the summer of '07 (cant even read the date on this paper here)...

from 10:06(am) --> 12:17(pm).... what is that, 131 mins; more than 2 hrs....

my intent was to also ride the full route, but w/ the way things looked along Ft. Washington, it looked like I would have been on the bus another 20 mins.... so I just got the hell off while I still could...

Are you talking about the Columbia University Medical Center by 168 St? I've been up Ft Washington from 169 to around 164, I know it's not a long stretch but traffic seemed to be okay...you'd expect the farther north you go that congestion would ease.

Southern Queens. I want to explore the Jamaica routes in Southeast Queens and routes ither routes like the Q67.

I want to try the Q100 up to Rikers and the M35 to Randalls Island

A Staten Island Express Bus via New Jersey

Maybe a bit of NJT and Bee Line.

My trips have gotten pretty routine, almost always Brooklyn, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn... I'd like to add some diversity to that list cause I always use routes like the Q44, B61, Q35, Q53, B39, Bx12

I haven't been on Long Island Bus in over a year. That's due to my dissatisfaction with Roosevelt Field and the NG's replacing the Orion V CNG's.

Next year I want to try the X19 (90% of its route is on a bridge, tunnel, or highway and it uses the upper level of the Verrazano). The only problem is that it's in a part of Staten Island where backtracking to the city is difficult

I still haven't taken an express bus via the Lincoln Tunnel (though I've been through the Lincoln Tunnel half a dozen times). I'm definitely trying the X17J.

I've never been on a Bee-Line local route. I've taken the BxM4C about two or three times. If anyone has any suggested Bee-Line itineraries (preferably a limited route) then I'm open to them.

I haven't really explored the former-Command express bus routes (with the exception of the BM2). Due to safety reasons I'm staying away from the BM5.

I've completed neglected the part of Queens that's north of Flushing. I want to ride the QM2/A but backtracking is hard (Q76)

The BM 5 is a safe line.

Are you talking about the Columbia University Medical Center by 168 St? I've been up Ft Washington from 169 to around 164, I know it's not a long stretch but traffic seemed to be okay...you'd expect the farther north you go that congestion would ease.

That might be it.... b/c I remember it was about a 10 block walk to 181st, where I eventually caught the M5 for the return trip (can't go wrong goin down riverside dr)...

and that's exactly what I thought... once we'd his ft. washington, it would be a breeze on up to the Cloisters.... boy was I mistaken on that particular day.....

The BM 5 is a safe line.

That's what I say... I'm not gonna sit up here & try to detach ppl. from certain stigmas.... But what I will say is, I've never felt any sense of danger in & around Starrett....

- That's what I love about riding the x19... I always ride it to Drumgoole/Huguenot, and walk it out about 3 minutes to the SIRR station to Grasmere for the S53, or to Old Town (and a short walk afterwards) for the S79 back to Brooklyn

- I've taken too many buses via NJ... there's a b/o on the x31 I got into an argument with a while back, b/c he suggested that I stop taking his bus to the transit center, when I can hop on the 17 instead.... I took his bus about 4 times before.. Granted, I would be the only person on the 31 past the mall, but I'm sorry, I'm not sardining my way onto a crushloaded 17 for a seat (or even to the point of standing) when I can take a x31 that goes to the exact same place....

Anyway, my least favorite ride of the "via NJ" routes is the x30.... fav. is either the x22 or the x24....

- bee line... um, I don't know how big you are on scenery, but if you're in for a real good fanning experience, I'd suggest you take the 12... to the 16... to [the 15 (if you can catch it) OR the 14; either one out of peekskill, towards white plains].... I prefer the 15 over the 14, since you wont have to put up w/ the riff raff that sometimes embark while in Ossining....

the combination of either the 3 routes (12>16>14) or (12>16>15) will run you about 5 hrs....

• 3 weeks later...

Between the BM2 and the BM5, which one carries more people? And what makes the BM5 so "dangerous"?

Speaking of which, I would like to busfan the Bm5, and X17 (whichever route) this year. I also want to ride the last of the LIBus Orion 5s before they go. And of course, any Nova Rts with a Cummins engine.

Sad only 1 person doe sthe Bronx. GC but good !

I would like to do City Island, SI and Kings of course. I did QUEENS lately. Hell, i always do Manhattan and the Bronx and sometimes queens!

Of course More Bee-Line!

Even questionable areas deserve express bus service.

Well then you cover it since thats all you think about... Ive done express buses and still do sometimes. How about you also do local buses....?

The BM5 is pointless; it runs between Manhattan and Brooklyn via Queens. If anything, extend the BM2 to the border of Queens and the need for the BM5 would be unnecessary.

Brooklyn doesn't have highways like Queens. The local streets in Brooklyn are clogged. That's why the Brooklyn express buses are slow. The BM5 has a fast route because it circumvents most of Brooklyn. Plenty of people use it during rush hour.

Brooklyn doesn't have highways like Queens. The local streets in Brooklyn are clogged. That's why the Brooklyn express buses are slow. The BM5 has a fast route because it circumvents most of Brooklyn. Plenty of people use it during rush hour.

But by making it travel via Queens, will that save time or just add on time? It really doesn't seem like the BM5 does much time saving because it travels via Queens.

The BM5 heads straigtht to midtown. It gets good speed on Woodhaven Blvd and the LIE. It avoids all of the congestion in Kensington.

OK then. I'll check out the route one day for myself to see how fast the ride is.

Archived