What Is Your Favorite RFW Memories?

Daniel The Cool

Taking the R32 (E) every day. The run from Jamaica Center to Union Turnpike, entering Forest Hills at 40MPH, the express run, the variety of switches and signals between 36th St. and Queens Plaza, the 53rd St. tunnel, ending with the 14th - WTC run. Nothing can beat that.

I also loved taking the (:P with an R40, especially from 34th St. to Brighton Beach.

The first time I took the R32 (A) the ride over the Rockaways was thrilling and amazing.

It was also always a treat to get an R40 on the (W) on Fridays, take that from Lexington - 59th to Astoria, back to Times Sq. through the tunnel, and then hop on the (7) and take that all the way to Main St. before going home.

Running a red signal on an R42 on the (J) line about 4 or 5 years ago. I saw then how much the composite brakes suck, it took for ever to stop and we came alot closer to the other train then I thought we would (about 100-150' away).

Running a red signal on an R42 on the (J) line about 4 or 5 years ago. I saw then how much the composite brakes suck, it took for ever to stop and we came alot closer to the other train then I thought we would (about 100-150' away).

Now that is an oh shit moment!

Now that is an oh shit moment!

So was getting tripped by some signal maintainers. Both the M/M and I thought that we hit one of them, that maybe one fell between cars after we passed them. Instead we tripped on a box they throw out.

My favorite RFW memory was with the old R21 cars on the 7th Avenue IRT. I'd lower the RFW sash (if it wasn't already lowered), have the wind hit me in the face at 45 mph, then step off the train looking like I came out of a coal mine from all the steel dust.

img_3290.jpg

Memories!

Yes, 6688 was on of the motors on an ERA trip in 1987 or 88. After the trip t went to it's current home in CT.

That must've been a cool trip. I would've loved to experience something like that. I wished the R17 was the lead car than usually the R33WF car.

Taking a RFW ride on the Redbird! (2)(5)(7) and sometimes (4)(6)

R40 (:P from 59th Street onthe (:P to Kings Highway on the Brighiton

My last ride on a slant was via a reverse rfw.

Though I've only visited NYC four times so far, I remember riding the entire (A)(B)(C)(E)(F)(J)(R) trains from end to end standing at the RFW, which includes basically any IND trackage except for the Crosstown Line. I've been on R32, R38, R40 and R42 cars. My favourite ride was always the (E), few stops once you leave Manhattan and a nice quick ride most of the times. Sad as it is, I only caught an RFW once on the Concourse Line, which is interesting to railfan b/c it's the only 3-track IND line.

And my favourite RFW memory... well, maybe this here:

200806120319.jpg

On a Manhattan-bound A train I entered at 80th St/Hudson St on a beautiful spring day in 2008. R38 car #4071.

My Best Railfan Days were

IRT: Riding an Redbird on the (1) in the spring of 2002

IND/BMT: Riding an R42 on the (G), Teaser: Riding an R160 on the (G) in passenger service

Other than Riding R32's on the (A),(B),(C),(E),(F),(G),(N),(Q),(R) and Franklin st (S)huttle

That's what I enjoyed.

Being in the 1st car of an r-32 (G) in 1985 playing hooky from school and watching the (G) run from carroll st to continental standing up by the front window getting the same view as the motormen. Getting to see all the signals and switches on the tracks.

One of my best memories that comes to mind first was riding Slant 40 barreling off the south channel bridge doing about 50, Sea gull has its foot stuck in the running rail right by the trip cock, before you know it CHHIIIIIING CHAOOOOOOO, BIE. Then as the trains coming to a stop, I hear "yeah control come into the XX:XX Apple out of 207. (RCC) State your message for control) "yeah control I just hit a sea gull, brakes are recharged operating motor 4xxx. Was halirous. We hit him so hard the snow block fell off I checked for it at Far rock. This was during that tropical storm we had/

Poor seagull. Too bad you find death to be hilarious.:tdown:

Archived