Walk, walk, climb, climb before you enter schoolcar

Andrew

For everyone who is on the list and is waiting to be called for T/O schoolcar WALK as much as you can and learn to CLIMB,preferably a 3 point climb.Trains are entered by climbing onto the front from ground level.IF anyone cannot climb aboard the train,they are terminated from schoolcar.It does not matter how much you know or how healthy you are,you MUST be able to climb aboard the train from ground level,if not,it is bye bye for you.

During schoolcar,you will be walking a LOT!!! sometimes 2-3 miles a day....and not on flat ground either.You will be walking on track ties and on rocks,stepping over third rails.If you are out of shape.this is the time to get in shape.One of my classmates tells me that this is the most physical workout he has had since he was in Army boot camp.Get in shape and be prepared to be exhausted at the end of every day.

This past snowstorm we just had,our class was at concourse yard and we walked from the crew room to the schoolcar in 14 inches of snow.By the time we got there,it was like we ran a marathon.My hamstring muscles cramped up something awful.Although this is not an everyday occurence,it does happen.You will be required to walk in deep snowcover to get to your train,unless it it was layed up in the tunnel during the storm.

I dont write this to scare anyone,I do so because I was no prepared when I first went in schoolcar over a month ago.My legs and feet were sore as hell the first couple of weeks as I was out of shape.Although it is easier now,I am still tired at the end of the day.I pass this advice along to you in hopes that those of you who are out of shape can start getting into shape.

thats only for school car. most (MTA) employees gain 15lbs with in their first year. thats why you see so many fat t/o's and c/r's:)

The weight gain is from the poor diet and complete lack of free time because the TA will dominate your life. When you're lucky to get a half hour for lunch you tend to eat more junk. Plus out of that half hour it will take a few minutes to walk to the crew room, wash up, go to the bathroom, heat up or buy your food, then you must be on your train 2 minutes early. Actual eating time is very limited.

So I assume you can't bring it with you. No snacks while waiting for a line-up?

I've eaten 2 bagels and a bowl of oatmeal in 3 minutes rushing out the door in the morning. If i waited 2 years for a call to get in (MTA) i think i would bring my meal eating skills along with me. :(

The secret is to have a light beverage last till the food is gone. Spring water (not filtered water) works well, so does tea, apple juice & orange juice.

- A

i have watched people eat when they get to work, eat after their first trip, eat on their lunch break, eat after their last trip all while carrying a shopping bag of goodies "just in case" they get delayed. also alot of people eat their meals on the train. i have had full 3 course meals while making trips, while using the heaters to keep my food hot.

i have watched people eat when they get to work, eat after their first trip, eat on their lunch break, eat after their last trip all while carrying a shopping bag of goodies "just in case" they get delayed. also alot of people eat their meals on the train. i have had full 3 course meals while making trips, while using the heaters to keep my food hot.

You and full 3 course meals??? You tub-o-lard, lol......

Some do need to stop eating every break they get, and can't use they need to due to their diabetes, etc. Some have enough fat stored on themselves, to get them through three winters. Then maybe the operator's seat can get a break, from the tremendous strain being put on them by some........

thats only for school car. most (MTA) employees gain 15lbs with in their first year. thats why you see so many fat t/o's and c/r's:)

B/O's too. I actually lost weight, when I joined MTA DOB. Went from 150lbs to 140lbs. Now back to about 143lbs - 145lbs, most of the weight being in my fat feet........

i must've gained up to 10lbs since i started working with transit. its easy to pick up bad habits, especially during school car when you go to lunch with classmates who already have bad eating habits. :confused: once i realized my clothes were getting a tad bit too tight during the holidays, reality hit and i've lost 5lbs since. summer is just around the corner!!! :cool:

Don't forget about footwear. If they allow me, I would like to keep my EMS boots. They're steel-toed, waterproofed, with a side zipper that feel like a sneaker.

Quick meals? I'm already used to that. Hell, my dinner was interrupted at the beginning of my shift tonight due to a cardiac arrest.

Losing weight can be done. It's a matter of choosing what you eat; eating fruit or a granola bar instead of the Twinkies. 2 years ago I lost 45 lbs while working as a medic on the night shift in Newark. It can be done; it's a matter of willpower (which I need to learn, since I would like to lose 60 lbs by my wedding in October).

steel toe footwear is a no-no.

You and full 3 course meals??? You tub-o-lard, lol......

Some do need to stop eating every break they get, and can't use they need to due to their diabetes, etc. Some have enough fat stored on themselves, to get them through three winters. Then maybe the operator's seat can get a break, from the tremendous strain being put on them by some........

B/O's too. I actually lost weight, when I joined MTA DOB. Went from 150lbs to 140lbs. Now back to about 143lbs - 145lbs, most of the weight being in my fat feet........

i have not put weight on since i have been with (MTA). i have always maintained a gym membership and workout schedule since i started. when i was in school car i would hit the gym at 2am before heading to brooklyn.

2 years ago I lost 45 lbs while working as a medic on the night shift in Newark.

It's Newark. Being a medic there on the night shift, has got to make you run around like running an Olympic Marathon.........

i must've gained up to 10lbs since i started working with transit. its easy to pick up bad habits, especially during school car when you go to lunch with classmates who already have bad eating habits. :confused: once i realized my clothes were getting a tad bit too tight during the holidays, reality hit and i've lost 5lbs since. summer is just around the corner!!! :cool:

In a few years, you will go "forget it, let me join into the transit spread"........

i have not put weight on since i have been with (MTA). i have always maintained a gym membership and workout schedule since i started. when i was in school car i would hit the gym at 2am before heading to brooklyn.

Transit will break you out of it. You being healthy and fit, will keep you living long after retiring, and that is a no-no in this agency.........

Archived