Roll 'em! Security cams make debut on E train

CPBO

By TOM NAMAKO Transit Reporter

Smile straphangers -- you're on candid camera!

Four cars of an E train equipped with state-of-the-art security cameras made its unprecedented first run this morning, part of an aggressive anti-terror and crime initiative that the MTA could expand to every line in the subway system.

Riders in the super-secure cars will see a sticker that reads: "Notice: This train may be equipped with a video recording device."

The train will make four runs today -- from Jamaica Center to the World Trade Center --two in the morning hours and two in the afternoon.

Felix Candelaria/NYC Transit

A notice warns E train riders of the new subway security cameras.

The cameras won't be watched live, but will be digitally taped and stored and used in investigations and criminal prosecutions.

Also installed in the same cars are "fold-up" subway seats, which transit officials may use in the future to squeeze 18 percent more riders into subway cars during rush hour.

Vertical bars on those cars will be closer to the windows, instead of pushed toward the center. Also, metal grasps -- hearkening back to the hanging straps -- will be placed on the cross-bar above the seats.

There's no timeline when the seats will be "unlocked" and put into use.

As for the cameras, transit officials said alerting riders to their mere presence can reduce crime and aid in fighting terror.

"Video camera systems have clearly been shown to help deter criminal activity on transit vehicles," said new subway and bus chief Thomas Prendergast.

He added that the cameras are invaluable when it comes to investigating the "potential threat of terrorist activity" on the subway.

If a straphanger is assaulted -- heaven forbid -- he or she can report the incident to the NYPD and police can then use the video feed in the investigation.

Each car will be equipped with four cameras, for a total of 16. The system was manufactured and installed by California-based TOA Corp. with little to no cost to the MTA.

"The cameras will be conspicuously installed in the train," said a NYCT source. "It'll provide us with forensic evidence."

There will be a 12-month evaluation process, and then a final decision on their use will be made in 2011.

Officials will look at video quality and after "evaluation of the system, NYC Transit may consider implementing the closed-circuit television system throughout the subway fleet," said Steven Feil, senior vice president for the department of subways.

Straphangers welcomed the watchful eye, saying criminals were less likely to strike if they know they're being recorded.

"It'll protect people. It'll bring down a lot of unwanted activities on the train," said Donald Terrell, 48, from Harlem.

"A lot of people in New York see something but they don't say anything," he added.

Several female riders said the cameras will give them peace of mind during late-night commutes.

"There are a lot of perverts out there, and if cops aren't around now you'll be able to say "run the tape!" said Nicole Davis, 34, a Bronx school bus driver.

MTA board member Norman Seabrook, who chairs the safety and security committee, said he was concerned about people "vandalizing" the cameras.

"I hope we don't see people spray painting them over," he said.

tom.namako@nypost.com

Isn't there some law about it?

Yes, you have to tell someone when they might be video taped in public. Just like when you are on the phone and they ask for your permission to record a call. Research shows that the threat of being taped already reduces crime. Recording or not doesn't actually make as big a difference.

Its a good idea, as long as long as those who view the video and see people taking pixs of the inside of the train such as a tagged door or something and find it suspicious then its negative lol. At least them graffiti a-holes will get taped if they do there busizzz.. ;)

I wonder if the cameras would be just like ones used on the Buses that can be seened and if these are going to be installed on the OTTs. If they do, lets see if changing the roll signs WITH the knobs will be considered a "criminal" to the t/a lol...

Are these only in the new R160s with the seats folds or what?

It's a great idea. Hope nobody complains about it the same way about the cameras on the street. You know, the way people say that it disturbs their privacy.

They have cameras on the bus, I don't think there will be any problems about cameras in the trains. Plus sadly they can justify cameras with the killing of that bum on the D train a few months back.

They have cameras on the bus, I don't think there will be any problems about cameras in the trains. Plus sadly they can justify cameras with the killing of that bum on the D train a few months back.

Regarding the buses, i notice that many buses say they have cameras but i don't see them unlike the Bx12 BRT and most MJQ buses, are the others hidden cameras?

Regarding the buses, i notice that many buses say they have cameras but i don't see them unlike the Bx12 BRT and most MJQ buses, are the others hidden cameras?

I've seen stickers like that on some 9600s. I dunno what that's about. Maybe they mean the cameras that used to be facing the rear doors?

I also remember the artics [when I rode the M86] used to have at least 3 cameras [one per door and one for the middle of the bus].

Ijbj0.jpg

Perhaps this is the beginning of the hilarious and oppressive Orwellian state that people in the UK have to put up with.

Here we have sixteen cameras on one bus:

3874066765_3831c3f19b.jpg

It sounds nice now, but it could easily become obnoxious. It'd be funny if we start hearing news stories of kids getting arrested because they did something profane for the camera, or it gettin' stolen. haha, I just don't like the idea of being watched, it doesn't make me feel safe at all -just that my privacy is being infringed upon.

Privacy can only be expected in the home, not on a subway train. It's one thing if this is going to be used for law enforcement and catching people, and unless I hear about them broadcasting what's on camera either on the internet or television in some sort of F-ed up reality TV show (hey you never know with reality TV these days), I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Privacy can only be expected in the home, not on a subway train. It's one thing if this is going to be used for law enforcement and catching people, and unless I hear about them broadcasting what's on camera either on the internet or television in some sort of F-ed up reality TV show (hey you never know with reality TV these days), I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I agree for now there isn't, it's just the bigger picture I don't like - also it's a very false sense of security and costs money. A simple google search on "security cameras and crime rate" will reveal that the UK's system is just a money pit that criminals learn to easily get around.

"The main problem is one of cost, security in any form costs a lot of money it's supposedly costs UK businesses and home owners 4 Billion GBP (8,000,000,000 USD) This is not including the Government spend on the Police etc.

One effect that has been noticed is that initially crime moves away from the cameras which is why they are often touted as a success. However within a short period of time the crime returns. Usually the criminals have baseball caps and hooded tops etc to hide their identity, and "do the job" very quickly."

Put it this way, cameras target only stupid criminals for a little while.

Archived