R44 Reef Cars

INDman

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay guys, it seems that R44s aren't even going to be reefed because the stripping offices at 207th Street are down. The barge has left as well as the crane, so nothing else can be touched. All the old equipment hat's left (32s and 42s) will be around for another 5 years at most because it doesn't seem like the MTA will be getting any federal funds to order new cars anytime soon.

It's a done deal right now. It'll probably take years for the R44s to be done away with in their entirety. It looks as if they'll just be sucking up yard space in the meantime.

For now everything is on hold with the R44's until more money comes along to make reefing a possibility (covering the expense associated with prepping the cars for reef), or something else entirely comes along as another option that no one has thought of yet.

Till then those cars will just sit.

I've done some thinking...

Even if asbestos have to be remove from the car..requiring money/time, in the end the MTA would be generating more money if they use the train cars for different things, such as use in a playground or turned into a resturant or icecream shop in a park...if they keep ownership of these things of course. I think potential customers, especially children, would enjoy this. If they do sell them, depending on the price, they may get back more money than what they put in to fix it up.

I've done some thinking...

Even if asbestos have to be remove from the car..requiring money/time, in the end the MTA would be generating more money if they use the train cars for different things, such as use in a playground or turned into a resturant or icecream shop in a park...if they keep ownership of these things of course. I think potential customers, especially children, would enjoy this. If they do sell them, depending on the price, they may get back more money than what they put in to fix it up.

Converting cars into restaurants and other facilities has been done. But I doubt the MTA would consider that option.

They're gonna scrap them. They can't be reefed because of asbestos and because they don't fit on the 207 Ramp of Death.

Yet again I feel compelled to say:

NOTHING has been decided yet with those cars. All options are on the table in the future but none at present due to lack of funds. They may yet be scrapped, and they may yet be reefed. EITHER option requires abatement.

As far as selling those cars elsewhere the Magic Mineral is a big reason why they have not been doing so. A playground? A restaurant? What happens (in TA lawyer's eyes) when Little Johnny or Suzy takes a lick of some asbestos and gets sick and mommy and daddy want to sue?

Is the option of selling the R44s to other places for use still possible? They did do the samething with the LIRR M1s.

That's a possibility, but as SubwayGuy said, nothing's definite right now. They're being taken out of service, but how will they be removed off property is the issue. As for the M1s, I think the reason why they were shipped off was because they weren't at retirement age (they weren't 40 yet), and the MTA could have got into trouble if they were scrapped because of that.

:P take a guess.

EVERYTHING had asbestos in it before they stopped using it.

Asbestos paint

Asbestos paper

Asbestos INSULATION (in the R1/R9 :P)

Asbestos TILING

Asbestos AUTOMOBILE BRAKE PADS

Asbestos ADHESIVE

And the list goes on...

They're gonna scrap them. They can't be reefed because of asbestos and because they don't fit on the 207 Ramp of Death.

The R32-R42s have asbestos in them. Asbestos isn't harmful underwater either. That's why the cars can just undergo abatement prior to the final destination.

That's a possibility, but as SubwayGuy said, nothing's definite right now. They're being taken out of service, but how will they be removed off property is the issue. As for the M1s, I think the reason why they were shipped off was because they weren't at retirement age (they weren't 40 yet), and the MTA could have got into trouble if they were scrapped because of that.

Yeah I heard the (M2)(1)s are doing push-pull service somewhere.

Archived