R44 Reef Cars

INDman

That could happen, September was the last date that I heard but this is the TA and things do change.

yea, maybe september is the deadline for them to be gone

btw it seems like they're taking R44's out of service faster then we though.

(A) car assignment for rush hour as of Friday April 2, 2010 was 14 R44 Trains, 23 R46 Trains

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(A) car assignment for rush hour as of Friday April 2, 2010 was 14 R44 Trains, 23 R46 Trains

holy damn.only 14 sets left? looks like there getting rid of them fast.probibley 207th yard doesnt want R44s.

hey, a little off topic, but do you have a breakdown of system wide train assignments, the site hosting the sheet hasn't been updated for half a year...

This is a tragic time.I wish I can go up to 207th shops and give them a good cussin for getting rid of my R44s.:mad::mad::mad:

Why? The R44s are beat to shit, if you had actually seen the damage done,you would understand why they want them gone.

September was the last deadline I heard, it could have changed though. It has been 3 weeks since I asked about them. The one thing to remember is that they are going into storage and are not being reefed at this time since there is no money to do that.

This is a tragic time.I wish I can go up to 207th shops and give them a good cussin for getting rid of my R44s.:mad::mad::mad:

If it were up to me they would have been on the barge years ago when they originally were due for retirement by the first batch of 160s.

Will the R160A and R160B option 2 orders be enough to retire all the R44's or will the (MTA) might have to seek more funding for an additional R160 order, such as making a third R160 option order to retire the R44's?

From the looks of it there may be a slight shortage. Combined we have a total of 304 SMEEs of both 32s and 42s. The R44s total 272 but because they're 75', 272 75-foot length cars are equal to 340 60' cars. If the number of R160s that were delivered after the last barge left are equal to 340 then there won't be a shortage but from the looks of it I think we may be facing one. With the cutbacks in service that are due by the close of June there'll be more trains freed up for service though but the R44 retirement is making everything discombobulated.

Will the R160A and R160B option 2 orders be enough to retire all the R44's or will the (MTA) might have to seek more funding for an additional R160 order, such as making a third R160 option order to retire the R44's?

They will be enough. For what might be the 10th time someone is saying this, there will be no more R160 option orders for the forseeable future.

From the looks of it there may be a slight shortage. Combined we have a total of 304 SMEEs of both 32s and 42s. The R44s total 272 but because they're 75', 272 75-foot length cars are equal to 340 60' cars. If the number of R160s that were delivered after the last barge left are equal to 340 then there won't be a shortage but from the looks of it I think we may be facing one. With the cutbacks in service that are due by the close of June there'll be more trains freed up for service though but the R44 retirement is making everything discombobulated.

There should be just enough cars. The R160s would've been able to replace the remaining R32s and R42s. That, combined with the (M) freeing up at least 15 trains that the (V) will no longer be using, will be enough to retire the R44s.

Is the second option order of R160A's and R160B's enough to retire the R44's?

YES.

I agree that the (MTA) needs the third option order of R160's, but the problem is that they don't have the money right now for it.

Not even that, they're too late. The plants at Alstom are already due to shut down. IDK about Kawasaki but when 9974 is here that's it for the R160 order.

On the R160 page at nyc subway.org it still says that a third option order of R160s is still pending, shouldn't that already be updated by now.:confused:

It's outdated.

They are shutting down the Alstom:eek: plants? why?

In the terms of the R160 order they're finished making them so operations halt until something else comes.

Not even that, they're too late. The plants at Alstom are already due to shut down. IDK about Kawasaki but when 9974 is here that's it for the R160 order.

It would only be too late if the plant was disassembled. I'm sure the workers would not mind having their jobs for another year or two. If they are to halt production when the order is done, what keeps them from starting up again if the money is there?

Archived