R44 Reef Cars

INDman

Do they still install asbestos in railcars now and days? Unless the R44 was the last car to use the magic mineral.

When they discovered that asbestos contained materials that are potentially harmful to humans, all new construction stopped using it. Asbestos roofs in buildings are still present, but during renovations or new construction, they are replaced. The same goes for railcars.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are they going to sell the digital signs as memorabilia?

I doubt it, the signs have several parts on the 4 car unit that are needed to make it work other then the sign it's self and the controller in the cab. If they do sell it, it will be a useless hunk of junk.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a slight update. All R44s are off the road and are either in storage and dead or are beign held. About 64 R44s are being kept in "revenue inactive" status at Pitkin Yard where they will be mantained and will run periodicly at night to keep them in working order. They are being held incase that R32s have problems next summer like they did this past summer. The remaining R44s are set to be scrapped along with 20 something redbirds (R36s) and several other random cars still on the property.

• 1 month later...
Guest lance25

The R44s were scrapped because they were falling apart due to structural integrity issues.

PS. Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay.

has great front/rear looks!

They face is pretty much the same it's just the R-46's rollsign is higher and brighter.The R-44's rollsign is lower and more dim in color.

As for the brakes the R-44's tend to grip the rail in what I used to feel and the 46's slide less grip giving a smoother braking.

They face is pretty much the same it's just the R-46's rollsign is higher and brighter.The R-44's rollsign is lower and more dim in color.

As for the brakes the R-44's tend to grip the rail in what I used to feel and the 46's slide less grip giving a smoother braking.

The R40 thru R46 have the SAME signs on the front end, just most of the R44s still have Bway B and D as well as the (JFK) and <R>.

But yea, those R44s are dead and the 64 of them that are being held as a reserve fleet won't see passengers again.

R44207th.jpg

About those 64. If the R32's have problems during the summer, will we see this?

Plans are under way so that it won't happen. People at the very top of NYCT don't want the R44s on the road ever again even if that means reduced service on the (C) during the summer since they see those cars as a huge risk.

Plans are under way so that it won't happen. People at the very top of NYCT don't want the R44s on the road ever again even if that means reduced service on the (C) during the summer since they see those cars as a huge risk.

Are they rotting?

We can't say the R44's are out of service when the SIR still runs modified R44's. They are still R44's wherever they go, and if I want to fan them I would just go hitch a ride on the SIR, and the Ferry is free, and hey they are still doing fine for their age on the SIR. Plus their seats have been modified, and they look fine too.

img_109480.jpg

img_115922.jpg

We can't say the R44's are out of service when the SIR still runs modified R44's. They are still R44's wherever they go, and if I want to fan them I would just go hitch a ride on the SIR, and the Ferry is free, and hey they are still doing fine for their age on the SIR. Plus their seats have been modified, and they look fine too.

Several things:

No one was talking about the SIR R44s

The SIR R44s are NOT in good shape

Those seats are not modified, just repainted

Archived