Is the MTA stalling the R32 retirement?

Ftrainfan

I think the MTA is stalling the R32 retirement since It's may now and R32s were suppose to retire last month and the R46 (C) train did not happen yet. Please give me feedback!

Yes indefinitely, at least until the next batch of cars will come. As everyone said, the R44s are being retired, so the R32s are being held. As for the R46 (C), there aren't enough cars to full-length the (C) trains yet.

Things really get funny when it comes to the MTA

The R42s are also being saved for now. However the plan is that all R44s will be off the road by September. Out of a once 272-car fleet, only 176 cars remain now, and that number is going to dwindle over the summer. Get your pictures now.

But they still use carbon steel on all cars especially the new R160s.

What you meant was the car body should be all stainless steel.

If you mean the exterior as the car body, then no. However, the frame should be stainless steel so as to make it less prone to corrosion. The R42s frameworks are carbon steel however yet they're structually sound at least.

Are there any other EXTERIOR differences between the R44s and 46s besides that carbon strip that are immediately visible?

The car number!!

You might also want to take into account the fact that NYCT R44s did NOT go through SMS, henceforth there is no new paint on the front. R46s do, so yeah.

Are there any other EXTERIOR differences between the R44s and 46s besides that carbon strip that are immediately visible?

Yes there are, the door frames around the doors on the R46 are more rounded when the R44s are more rectangular, and the front, the side with the route letter is narrower than the R44s.

The R42s are also being saved for now. However the plan is that all R44s will be off the road by September. Out of a once 272-car fleet, only 176 cars remain now, and that number is going to dwindle over the summer. Get your pictures now.

And by the time the remaining R32s are finally replaced, they will have passed 50.

Historical note: The R32s are the only R-type car to operate in regular service in six decades, and also the only one to reach 46 years in service.

And by the time the remaining R32s are finally replaced, they will have passed 50.

Historical note: The R32s are the only R-type car to operate in regular service in six decades, and also the only one to reach 46 years in service.

Right you are!

And with just minimal maintenance, they can probably still be rolling for another twenty years!

heh, if they last that long.... at the rate they're going, i'd say by the end of June...

I think the MTA is stalling the R32 retirement since It's may now and R32s were suppose to retire last month and the R46 (C) train did not happen yet. Please give me feedback!

I think R32 Brightliners will be on the (C) for a little while yet.

I've heard reports that there are no more R32 Brightliners at Jamaica; that there is one set at C.I. and that there may be a set or two back on the (A).

I've also heard that there was a set of R46s spotted on the (E).

Archived