SBS Inspectors

Melvin

4646644482_a77035e1cd_o.png

So today at around 4PM I was waiting for Bx12 SBS at the Broadway-Inwood Terminal. I saw the rare inspectors just chilling as you can see in the picture. The bus came and people were exiting. The inspectors didn't even nudge. When it headed towards us, we (passengers) boarded as usual but then they decided to move inside and check the passengers that they saw pay and board the bus. I'm 100% guaranteed that they say everyone pay their fare. My question is: What is the purpose of Fare inspectors?

The purpose of fare inspectors in select bus service is to make sure that passengers are actually paying before they board the bus. In other words if they don't pay their fare they are subjected to a $100 fine. I believe they enforce this along major stops, but I could be wrong. I believe there are reports of fare-beating because of a lack of fare inspectors along the BX12 Select bus service.

The purpose of fare inspectors in select bus service is to make sure that passengers are actually paying before they board the bus. In other words if they don't pay their fare they are subjected to a $100 fine. I believe they enforce this along major stops, but I could be wrong. I believe there are reports of fare-beating because of a lack of fare inspectors along the BX12 Select bus service.

Your right but they never appear. They are rarely at 10 Av, Fordham Plaza and Sedgwick Av. What was the point of making my bus late for no reason when they saw everyone pay though?

Your right but they never appear. They are rarely at 10 Av, Fordham Plaza and Sedgwick Av. What was the point of making my bus late for no reason when they saw everyone pay though?

Just to keep the passengers honest, making sure they pay their fare. Sometimes they don't come for some reason like what you said. I would just board and show the bus operator my receipt too. Of course if the transaction machine is broken, they must report it to the bus operator on the next upcoming bus to report the issue.

So today at around 4PM I was waiting for Bx12 SBS at the Broadway-Inwood Terminal. I saw the rare inspectors just chilling as you can see in the picture. The bus came and people were exiting. The inspectors didn't even nudge. When it headed towards us, we (passengers) boarded as usual but then they decided to move inside and check the passengers that they saw pay and board the bus. I'm 100% guaranteed that they say everyone pay their fare. My question is: What is the purpose of Fare inspectors?

Are they (MTA) police or NYPD?

And the (MTA) should not be complaining about their rail and bus operators getting overtime when these jerks are playing on their phones!

I find this sorta of funny. I see about 5 fare inspectors there. Instead of having 5 at one stop. How about you add some more and add 2 fare inspectors at major SBS stops. Don't have they enter the bus. Just ensure that they watch people pay the fare and whenever people run to Bx12sbs (which alot do), tell them to go pay it instead of entering.

The Select Bus service fare inspectors I believe work for the (MTA). I believe police officers also check to see if the passengers are actually paying their fare too.

Yeah their shirts have 'MTA POLICE' on the back and some of the inspectors have guns, not all of them do. I've never seen the police do that before, I think they have better things to do than stop a bus and check peoples receipts.

That's very interesting that they are MTA Police. I thought they only had authority on metro north and LIRR. I actually have seen MTA bridge and tunnel cops respond to buses that needed assistance on queens boulevard, so I guess they all have some leeway with their jurisdiction areas.

That's very interesting that they are MTA Police. I thought they only had authority on metro north and LIRR. I actually have seen MTA bridge and tunnel cops respond to buses that needed assistance on queens boulevard, so I guess they all have some leeway with their jurisdiction areas.

MTA Police have jurisdiction state-wide, non-MTA property included.

MTA Police have jurisdiction state-wide, non-MTA property included.

I could never understand MTA Police- they are commissioned through the state of Connecticut, yet they are all over New York, and a lot of their bases are in New York. Whatever- as long as they keep me safe I won't ask too many questions :(

Why the hell would these inspectors be standing at Inwood Terminal if there is less passengers here. They should be all over the place. Plus I rarely see these guys and the (MTA) is saying that they are ticketing farebeaters...?? Like come on, if you are then where are the other Inspectors..

Also the purpose of the Inspectors is to check if passengers paid for there ride. Passengers MUST have there receipts once paid at the vending machine in the bus stop and present to inspector. If you are disabled/senior, you have to show your (MTA) photo ID to them. If failed for proper identification or to show your receipt you may get ticketed $100! Fare inspectors are at random stops, but you rarely see them.

I wonder if this patter with Fare inspectors coming in different days will also happen on the M15+SBS+..

These inspectors are A waste of time all the SBS program needs is Turnstyles in the bus who ever doesn't have A recpt doesn't get on period

Turnstyles would be the solution to SBS buses

They would also keep A count as to how many people use the bus and yes I thought about it ...... What if the turnstyle breaks down then you assign MTA personnel to supv.

I'm sure these inspctors cost a hell of alot more and what happen to cutting cost huh remember

go but the damn sbs or whatever the hell they are on the problem routes

B 46 /Q46 74 st hub /165 term have them stationed to keep things safe

These inspectors are A waste of time all the SBS program needs is Turnstyles in the bus who ever doesn't have A recpt doesn't get on period

Turnstyles would be the solution to SBS buses

They would also keep A count as to how many people use the bus and yes I thought about it ...... What if the turnstyle breaks down then you assign MTA personnel to supv.

I'm sure these inspctors cost a hell of alot more and what happen to cutting cost huh remember

go but the damn sbs or whatever the hell they are on the problem routes

B 46 /Q46 74 st hub /165 term have them stationed to keep things safe

People will just jump the stiles. Also, they'd waste bus space.

People will just jump the stiles. Also, they'd waste bus space.

Two points:

-There are fare barriers where jumping is practically undoable.

-They don't waste bus space per se, they only take up street base because additional street furniture may be needed.

494344?maxheight=510&mode=fit&maxwidth=510

The only problem with this is, if these things are to be implemented here, they would have to be longer to match the 60 footers we have here and thus that would mean $.

I think it's good that they don't check very frequently. That way they catch some of those suckers off guard and that's more money for the TA writing tickets out.

But what if the person CAN'T pay? What then?

If it is going to be this much of a hassle, they may as well just do away with the SBS program and let the driver keep the device that changes the light to his/her favor. That's basically the only good thing about it. For artics, it would be nice if they had a fare collection system on all the doors. But until that happens it is best to just have everyone pay at the front.

But what if the person CAN'T pay? What then?

If it is going to be this much of a hassle, they may as well just do away with the SBS program and let the driver keep the device that changes the light to his/her favor. That's basically the only good thing about it. For artics, it would be nice if they had a fare collection system on all the doors. But until that happens it is best to just have everyone pay at the front.

Having bus collection systems by all doors on the bus beats the purpose of having SBS altogether. I mean, we want off-board payment to speed up the bus service. That was one of the integral features of this set up in the first place.

I saw three inspectors on Wed...they were undercover.When the guy came on the bus he said''tickets,tickets,tickets.''I though he was selling tickets to some baseball game until I saw his shield.

Two points:

-There are fare barriers where jumping is practically undoable.

-They don't waste bus space per se, they only take up street base because additional street furniture may be needed.

494344?maxheight=510&mode=fit&maxwidth=510

The only problem with this is, if these things are to be implemented here, they would have to be longer to match the 60 footers we have here and thus that would mean $.

Funny; we once had one of those here. A test from the Curitibia system, with the stop by City Hall, and running on a special shuttle in the nearby area. this in the early 90's.

Archived