NYC Subway is getting another map redesigned makeover

w8Hou

Sometime this month the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will release its redesign of the New York subway map, the first new version since 1998. Short of reducing the number of subway lines, there is probably little more that designers can do to make the city’s subway map easier to decipher.

But even beefing up Manhattan and shrinking Staten Island, which distinguish the newly revised version of the map, provide only limited relief from the linear and typographic congestion. What’s more, doesn’t a fatter Manhattan symbolically challenge the program against obesity that Mayor Bloomberg is advocating?

The new subway map provides all the necessary information for users to get from here to there, but aesthetically speaking, I prefer the oft-criticized 1972 Massimo Vignelli design, which reduced the boroughs to white geometric shapes and eliminated most of the conventional topographic details, including streets and parks. Even more radical was Mr. Vignelli’s use of gray, not green, to denote Central Park, and beige, not blue, to shade New York’s storied waterways. What an affront to the city’s founders!

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/arts/design/02map.html

Interactive feature: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/27/nyregion/new-ny-subway-map.html?ref=nyregion

post-1257-13328858206_thumb.jpg

post-1257-13328858206_thumb.jpg

Wow! Once again the MTA is making more asinine decisions...making their already geographically incorrect map MORE geographically incorrect.

Just WOW!

I would love a geographically correct subway map, please, thank you. I believe this is possible, without any compromises.

Damn, I didnt think people would actually care about that. Its getting from Point A to Point B that matters!

Damn, I didnt think people would actually care about that. Its getting from Point A to Point B that matters!

Actually, people do care how the map looks like, the 1972 version with that you can see here looked great but the geographical features are totally off. Not that I have an issue with today's map, but something close to being geographically correct is acceptable for me.

Actually, people do care how the map looks like, the 1972 version with that you can see here looked great but the geographical features are totally off. Not that I have an issue with today's map, but something close to being geographically correct is acceptable for me.

Imo, for them to have to make a geographical map, that would be pretty huge.

Imo, for them to have to make a geographical map, that would be pretty huge.

You do have a point there, I mean the Manhattan portion of the map, especially Midtown/Downtown area would be scrunched up with lines. Or maybe they can make a subway map for each borough, but I don't know. However, I do admit, Michael Hertz does a great job designing today's subway map, he's been doing since the late 1970s.

Yeah how about bringining back the Strip subway lines in the BACK of the maps. I miss those!

But i can't wait to see this..

And wow the (M)is in it too~

I miss those days -sigh- Route maps on the back, were great, right before (MTA) had to combine the subways and railroads into "The Map"

They IMO should start charging a quarter a map.make a fortune off of tourist. Bring back the 1970s maps and strip maps.

Yeah, I agree with the above statement, considering how much color is on the map.

For an agency that's apparently cash strapped, they sure know how to waste money on useless crap!

Get out of my head cause that's just what I was gonna say. They got money to change the subway map but the same amount spent to change the map could be spent to save at least 1 bus line, even if it means not reducing hours on the line. This is not the time to be changing maps when you keep on screaming "POVERTY!". More fraud, waste and abuse from our friends, the good ole (MTA).

Guest lance25

For those wanting a more geographically correct map, Kriston Lewis has one here.

Looking at the previews on NYTimes.com, the map still looks basically the same. The bubbles are still there, they're just smaller because it doesn't show the streets the buses use. I don't understand however why the parks were changed from green to olive or why the lines now have shadows. I mean who would look at the map and say they couldn't find the bright red line for 7th Ave or the light green for the (G) against the grayish color for the background.

Why are they getting rid of the service grid? when this map comes out, there's gonna be alot of people pissed not knowing which train works at which time.. instead they should make the June 27 2010 version like the 1979 version, if they want to cut Staten island off, or leave the same version they have now & put the service grid like on the 1979 map, that was easier. now I think the only unchanged area of the map is the back, unless they put strip maps like in 1979.

Why this hatred for Staten Island? It keeps getting smaller and smaller. I don't like this map. Manhattan is too wide.

This is a subway map not an SIRT map, SI is not really needed. Plus, your not going to get many if any tourists on the SIRT and those who do ride it do or should know where they are going.

Archived