NYC Subway is getting another map redesigned makeover

w8Hou

Why this hatred for Staten Island? It keeps getting smaller and smaller. I don't like this map. Manhattan is too wide.

Yeah. Manhattan looks like an enlarged hot dog ;)

While June would seem like a good time to change the map, I don't see what is wrong with the old map. The problem that I have is that they are getting rid of the service guide at the bottom of the map. How is the average rider supposed to know when a line is running? Even if weekend service is always screwed up, the light type used to show a part time line doesn't show if the line runs rush hours-peak direction, rush hours both directions, or all day weekdays 6 AM - 10 PM.

As the saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I personally think the enlargement of Manhattan is a good idea: the amount of subway lines requires magnification, especially for tourists. I also think the shrinking of Staten Island is a good idea because...well... yeah, it's Staten Island.

For those wanting a more geographically correct map, Kriston Lewis has one here.

Looking at the previews on NYTimes.com, the map still looks basically the same. The bubbles are still there, they're just smaller because it doesn't show the streets the buses use. I don't understand however why the parks were changed from green to olive or why the lines now have shadows. I mean who would look at the map and say they couldn't find the bright red line for 7th Ave or the light green for the (G) against the grayish color for the background.

I think it is important to tell where the buses go to. For example, how is somebody supposed to know that the B26 goes on Halsey Street, or the B31 goes to Geritssen Beach? At least now they have an idea that if they need to go to a destination near a certain street, or in a certain neighborhood, they need to take a certain bus line. Now, they must carry a bus map and a subway map.

As I said before, I think it is a terrible idea to get rid of the service guide. Until about 5 years ago, I didn't even know the subways even offered timetables. I'm sure there are still people out there who don't know that the subway has timetables, and will be lost since different services run at different times of day.

Wow! Once again the MTA is making more asinine decisions...making their already geographically incorrect map MORE geographically incorrect.

Just WOW!

I would love a geographically correct subway map, please, thank you. I believe this is possible, without any compromises.

I myself much prefer a geographically accurate map, but time and fiscal constraints will call for greater simplification and disproportionate. Besides, if there's a geographically accurate map, places like Downtown Manhattan and Do. Brooklyn would practically become unreadable because of the immense density of subway lines.

Funny the article has comments by Eddie Jabbour. If they were going to change the map, I was hoping they would take his design. Or at least do some sort of bargain, and perhaps use his multiple lines idea over the old background, or whatever.

An idea I sent in used different line shadings or textures to represent different times, and that could have been the replacement for the time grid.

Is it really a waste of money or just spending the same money on a revised (not different) design? I'm pretty sure they're paying the same guys who've been working on the map all the time. If they wanted to change the map design, then now was a good time to do it, since the map was changing anyway. It's probably been in planning for some time now, as I don't think all this could be done in a week.

I know the spending habits of the (MTA) can be questionable, but not everything falls under the same category. Now if they did this redesign in September and ordered new maps, after distributing maps with the new service patter in July, then I'd be very skeptical.

Here's a .pdf of the new map.

Except, there is a error on the map. MTA needs to hire a real professional checker. There is still a (V) on the bubble in Queens Plaza.

Plus that Rockaway Park (S) shuttle line should not colored the blue line. Why is MTA doing that again?

Except, there is a error on the map. MTA needs to hire a real professional checker. There is still a (V) on the bubble in Queens Plaza.

Plus that Rockaway Park (S) shuttle line should not colored the blue line. Why is MTA doing that again?

right, I'm talking about the rockaway park shuttle, why is it always blue? what the hell? If they keep doing that, why cant they rename it back to (H)??

I should also add, it says Michael Hertz, whose had designed the map since 1979; I thought I heard it was Tauranac. Though I know Tauranac had his own design in the 90's (using thinner lines, and each station was like a hollow bullet containing the route letter; pretty interesting idea; and resembled the 1967-69 map in some ways).

Also, I see that outside transfers use white lines. I noticed this at Court Sq. (G)-(7), but that's going to be a regular transfer soon.

The reduction in size of Staten Island is fine, because that's enough to see all the stations. In fact, it's more compact, and easier to see the whole line at once.

1. People are going to wonder where the gray line near each route goes. (the shadow).

2. Removing the service guide is a bad idea.

3. I agree with the bus bubble removal.

Amen.

The service guide would leave people going wtf?? I mean look, when I first studied the new map, I saw TWO (Q) Northern terminals: 57/7 and Astoria. Astoria looks like a part time terminal. With greater study, I realised that that would be the weekday terminal. But how would other people (esp. tourists) figure that out?

And the bus bubble thing: fine they are removed. But they are even more redundant without destinations. Also, why do SELECT stations receive them? It draws to the tourists that ONLY these stations have bus connections and the others don't. How about this: remove the bus connections altogether, then publish a guide that shows tourists how to ride the system and what bus connections are there at each stop showing destination and such. And then sell it to them.

Amen.

The service guide would leave people going wtf?? I mean look, when I first studied the new map, I saw TWO (Q) Northern terminals: 57/7 and Astoria. Astoria looks like a part time terminal. With greater study, I realised that that would be the weekday terminal. But how would other people (esp. tourists) figure that out?

By reading the MTA's mind?

And the bus bubble thing: fine they are removed. But they are even more redundant without destinations. Also, why do SELECT stations receive them? It draws to the tourists that ONLY these stations have bus connections and the others don't.

IAWTP.

How about this: remove the bus connections altogether, then publish a guide that shows tourists how to ride the system and what bus connections are there at each stop showing destination and such. And then sell it to them.

IDK about selling, but put it on the back of the subway map.

Maybe they could use the back of the map to do the line-by-line diagrams, like they did back in the 1980s-1990s. Those listed all of the bus connections and showed at what times the different lines ran. Of course, they would have to make a separate map of the commuter rail systems, and waste even more money.

Amen.

And the bus bubble thing: fine they are removed. But they are even more redundant without destinations. Also, why do SELECT stations receive them? It draws to the tourists that ONLY these stations have bus connections and the others don't. How about this: remove the bus connections altogether, then publish a guide that shows tourists how to ride the system and what bus connections are there at each stop showing destination and such. And then sell it to them.

I agree with you about the service guide removal being a bad idea. My guess about only certain stations having bus connections would be that the stations without the bus connections bubble don't have enough connections to justify mentioning them (or those buses don't go anywhere of interest), or that the same bus connection can be made at a nearby station with many more bus conncetions.

Amen.

They have books at bookstores about riding the subway and whatnot but it should still be the MTA's responsibility to guide its riders and not some outside agency.

They may as well call this the manhattan subway map; as it's clearly the focal point of the "upgraded" map.....

...and since when did every subway line have a shuttle counterpart added to it? lol....

as was said, those drop-shadows on the subway lines are gonna confuse the hell out of a lot of out-of-towners (which this city has PLENTY of)....

- the "bus bubbles" (as it's dubbed on here), yeah, I'm glad there aren't so many of them damned things on the subway map either....

- now staten island has been downgraded to the status of a mere inset... they could've kept it that same size w/o putting windows/borders around it....

They may as well call this the manhattan subway map; as it's clearly the focal point of the "upgraded" map.....

...and since when did every subway line have a shuttle counterpart added to it? lol....

as was said, those drop-shadows on the subway lines are gonna confuse the hell out of a lot of out-of-towners (which this city has PLENTY of)....

- the "bus bubbles" (as it's dubbed on here), yeah, I'm glad there aren't so many of them damned things on the subway map either....

- now staten island has been downgraded to the status of a mere inset... they could've kept it that same size w/o putting windows/borders around it....

Staten Island is actually much further than it appears on the subway map. Geographically, if you look at on a map of the region, it is actually much closer to New Jersey than it is to the rest of NYC. They should've put the inset on it before.

Archived