what if the subways became all R160's & R142's

Eastman346

It would suck, it would suck a lot. There would pretty much be no diversity at all, everything would be the same. I see where the system is going with all these new tech trains and I don't like it. Diversity will become something as the past as the subway becomes one generic new tech design. I'm not fond of every train being the same, I don't like R160 after R160 after R160, I want some diversity!

WHAT!!!! R142s on every A div line! That would be my worst nightmare putting those junky trains on every A div line.That would be bad i mean very bad.

R142s on every A div line=hell on earth

R160s on every B div line would be my second worst nightmare.That would be horrable imagine everywere you go you see R160s

And worst of all there wont be any railfan windows!!!!

Personally I would not like that idea. If it were to happen then I would just have to live with it. I usually don't use the IRT very much so I don't care about the R142's. While I do like the R160's a lot, I wouldn't want to just see R160's only.

I actually wouldn't mind at all. Them trains are pretty cool and comfy. Ya, your throwing variety out the window, but oh well. Everyone is just going to tell ya to deal with it. So in the words of Trevor Logan, "Do it Movin'!"

I see all different kinds of things everytime since I don't solely depend on, or only railfan the NYC Subway so I'm good. :)

what if all the dimensions and lenghts were right. what are your thoughts on it.

how can you even think about something so atrocious???

the subway would be hideous, like everyone else said there will be no variety at all and every train will look the same, and then it won't be even worth it to go railfanning anymore

that vision sadly is going to come eventually, have you noticed how the MTA's been going with the designs with all its new trains. the R142, 142A, 143 and 160 have the same basic design the black front end with the white inside with the purplish/bluish/whatever chairs, and i can pretty much expect the next new subway train to look just like that

what if all the dimensions and lenghts were right. what are your thoughts on it.

IF this happens Subchat will be a dead place,anyway untill then R-44,R-46 and R-68(some 32 might stay)

It would suck in my opinion since there would be less diversity, no railfan windows, and the same type of announcements. However, the most important thing is that its better to have nothing but new trains to take you somewhere, than no trains at all.

As a passenger, I enjoy riding the new tech trains; the ride is comfy and the air is at the right temp and never stuffy, and there's some kind of nice map/announcement system. As a railfan/photographer I don't like their generic look and lack of a railfan window. Not much I can do about it so I'll just accept that the NY Subway will be less interesting to fan.

Ah well, change happens, struggle is optional.

The R142 is still my favorite of all the cars, so I wouldn't mind seeing it on the rest of the IRT lines, like the (1), (3), and (7). However, I wouldn't like to see the R160 on all the IRT lines. There are some lines on which I still prefer to see the old-technology cars, like the (:D, (C), (D), (E), (G), (M), (V) and (W).

Not if, but in the future when this happens, all I can say to you all is;

Welcome to:

TheTwilightZoneLogo.gif

Is this any of you trying to get a railfan view through the operators cab, scaring the poor T/O?

pic_19.jpg

LMAO and reaching for the Windex®!!

You could do that but only 1 problem, eventually there would be nothing but Orion VIIs, MCIs and RTSs.

Don't know about the RTS. Those with plenty of Orion V will be gone. It will be more like MCI, Orion VII (Hybrids and CNGs), and New Flyers (CNGs and articulateds).

The awsome RTSs dont need to replaced with crappy hybrid buses. As hybrids take over the MTA bus system there wont be any point in busfanning ethier. Since the hybrids are boring as hell to ride the VII to be speific.

Basicly, by 2020 it will be most likely be all Orion VII's and all NTT trains.

Archived