Should there be a fare free day?

checkmatechamp13

I would go with reduced fare days instead of fare free days NY'ers deserve a break

I often say ignorance is bliss some people like to get taken for a ride

you'd be lucky to work for someone who has COLA like the UFT because without it you will not survive in NYC there is a misconception among people that when the cost of living go's up ur pay go's up I.E. the MTA and the landlords greedy bastards

A reduced fare would probably work almost as well, since it would still be cheaper than other forms of transportation. However, I suggested a fare free day because the MTA would save on the costs of fare collection. It takes the same amount of time to dip in a MetroCard into the farebox, or swipe it in the turnstile, regardless of whether the fare is $1.10 or $2.25 or any other amount.

But everybody's right, it wouldn't work in an already transit-oriented city like ours.

No I don't believe that (MTA) has to pull more than that daily with all the tourist that come to New York City how do you think they get around they use the Subway and Buses

Monthly passes on tha LIRR & MNR don't come cheap

Bridges & Tunnel are you kidding me cash lanes are always busy

MVM's & TVM'S are used daily and if you pay aboard the train you get slapped with a $5 surcharge talk about highway robbery

There are about 7.4 million bus/subway riders combined on an average weekday. At about $2 per person (probably less since transfers are counted on the bus and subway, and with pay-per-ride and Unlimited MetroCard discounts, the fare is down even less), that is $14.8 million at most. Factor in the LIRR and Metro-North Railroads and $20 million seems like a reasonable figure.

A reduced fare would probably work almost as well, since it would still be cheaper than other forms of transportation. However, I suggested a fare free day because the MTA would save on the costs of fare collection. It takes the same amount of time to dip in a MetroCard into the farebox, or swipe it in the turnstile, regardless of whether the fare is $1.10 or $2.25 or any other amount.

But everybody's right, it wouldn't work in an already transit-oriented city like ours.

There are about 7.4 million bus/subway riders combined on an average weekday. At about $2 per person (probably less since transfers are counted on the bus and subway, and with pay-per-ride and Unlimited MetroCard discounts, the fare is down even less), that is $14.8 million at most. Factor in the LIRR and Metro-North Railroads and $20 million seems like a reasonable figure.

Ok I stand corrected unless something else comes up

But for now, i don't think a fare free day is the best idea to attract customers. The (MTA) makes about 20M a day & the (MTA) cannot afford to loose that much money. I see why it's not much of a problem for a small transit system but it's a problem for a transit system in a city like NY

Hey it's the MTA, it's one of those bureaucratic agencies. What are they known for?

there should be but that is not gonna happen anytime soon. btw i remember the week of christmas i think in 2005 they lowered the fare to 1 dollar. and i think the weeks in december before christmas it was only $1 on the weekends

Which is the LAMEST plan I ever heard in my life

Might be. However, my principal told me that it had something to do with Bloomberg. It's weird considering the election occurred BEFORE the discount. But I can guarantee you, the smell of politics is rather strong here.

Bloomberg isn't a smart man,besides he doesn't respect the transit workers.

Yes, there should be fare free days on all transit systems, it would allow people to try new routes and try riding for the first time without the prospect of having to pay a fare as a barrier.

- A

Yes, there should be fare free days on all transit systems, it would allow people to try new routes and try riding for the first time without the prospect of having to pay a fare as a barrier.

- A

But who would be the ones "riding for the first time"? Most people in New York either take the subway, don't need the subway, or think they are too good to take the subway (not at anyone in particular).

But who would be the ones "riding for the first time"? Most people in New York either take the subway, don't need the subway, or think they are too good to take the subway (not at anyone in particular).

Well, i did say all transit systems, the NYC subway isn't the only transit system in the country you know.... ^_^

- A

Archived