Man Gets Trapped Between (D) Train At Grand St

Sea Beach

http://www.wpix.com/videobeta/0150c21e-b805-47ea-bfe5-eb744a9fbb2f/News/Man-Trapped-By-D-Train

SOHO, N.Y. (WPIX) - In video first obtained by the PIX 11 Morning News, a man who accidentally stepped into the gap between the subway car and the platform had his leg trapped and brutally twisted after the train moved a short distance, dragging him in front of horrified onlookers.

A PIX News viewer sent in cell phone footage of the gruesome accident, which happened just after midnight Thursday as a D train prepared to pull out of Grand St. Station in Lower Manhattan.

The man was taken to Bellevue Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The incident highlights a danger that has been a problem with several of the Metropolitan Transit Authority's stations. In January, MTA officials found that the plans for the new South Ferry subway station included a gap between train and platform that was an inch larger than the maximum size mandated by federal regulations.

The opening of the South Ferry station was delayed and the cost of fixing the mistake was estimated to be $200,000.

Critics point out that signs informing riders to "mind the gap" cannot prevent accidents during rush hour when platforms are crowded and riders are often jostled and have a difficult time looking down.

I nominate this person for genius of the year. They figured out how to do something no one else has done, slip between the 1-3 inch gap between the door sill and the rubbing boards.

- A

How in the hell u walk into a gap? And who in the hell would record something like that?

My thoughts exactly. The person recording it is a bigger douche. The guy is in agony FFS!

I remember many years ago when I was about 5 or 6...I was in Metro Center in DC getting ready to board a blue or orange line train with my mom. My foot somehow got stuck in the gap between the train and platform. Luckily, my mom found a Metro employee who told the T/O not to pull off. Seeing this story just brings back bad memories.

That so terrible and I agree.

14th St-Union Sq has platform gap filter, while 42nd St (S) has sign, well as 10th Mark Place on Times Sq-bound (7) platform at Hunters Point Av. These are only places that has gap.

I have used Grand St Station when we go to Chinese dentist.

No one can fall into gap.

How in the hell u walk into a gap?And who in the hell would record something like that?

This is one reason why I hate how easy it is to take pics/vids these days because of people like that. They should be using the phone to get help, not take a vid of a person in pain.

As for the platforms, there's like no curves on it, the person has to be either drunk or a f'in idiot to have fallen.

My thoughts exactly. The person recording it is a bigger douche. The guy is in agony FFS!

I remember many years ago when I was about 5 or 6...I was in Metro Center in DC getting ready to board a blue or orange line train with my mom. My foot somehow got stuck in the gap between the train and platform. Luckily, my mom found a Metro employee who told the T/O not to pull off. Seeing this story just brings back bad memories.

Good to hear that you're okay. People are indifferent for the most part until stuff like that actually happens and then it tears you up inside pretty much forever.

I've long thought that Grand Street is a prime location for someone to get inadvertently bumped into or accidentally knocked down onto the trackbed, especially on a lively, touristy Saturday night, with those narrow-ass platforms. Never before have I seen so much confusion and chaos crammed onto a space barely wider than a diving board.

I'm wondering if this clown was right at the platform edge as the train came to a stop, and as the train swayed from side to side he managed to get his shit wedged in between the platform and the railcar. Which leads to my question: does anyone know if there is a sway tolerance that would require a train O.S.'ed the acceptable limit was surpassed?

There should not be any signs to watch the gap. It should be common sense, even at stations like 14 Street Union Square (4)(5)(6) and East Tremont Avenue (2)(5)

Common sense is becoming so rare that it is no longer worthy of the name "common" sense.

Archived