26% of U.S. don't know who we declared independence from: Marist poll

Harry

How dumb are we?

Apparently, pretty dumb.

At least according to a new Marist poll, which says 26% of people in this country don’t know that the U.S. declared its independence from Great Britain.

That includes 20% who were unsure and 6% who thought the U.S. separated from another nation.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/07/03/2010-07-03_26_of_us_dont_know_who_we_declared_indepence_from_marist_poll.html#ixzz0skk4AaIj

post-1-133288582102_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582102_thumb.jpg

It's the sad truth but the average American doesn't give a shit about its own country's history.

Not a surprise. Even a Dummy like me lol knew about '1776' and how the modern US was founded by grade 6:(.

As a Teacher, i am very surprised at how many kids really are not doing in well in both middle and Sr. High School in US and World History.

HOw do people not know this? Come on, this is history for pete's sake.

Everybody is too worried about updating there profile on Facebook and making sure they twitter there status at the hair salon.

I know. That crap has almost consumed the entire country. Who the hell cares about what you're doing every second of the day......except the others on said site. I know one thing, I never had a Facebook/Twitter/whatever else there is profile and I never will. Perfectly fine with a cellphone and traditional mail.

Disturbing...absolutely disturbing. More tax dollars being wasted just because kids don't grow up to know about the history of this very country that they live in. SMH....

Thats a crying shame.And let me guess.......

The Iraqis bombed pearl harbor

JFK was the man that Invented airplanes

The civil war was over the last civil service examination

George Washington invented car washes

Theodore roosevelt created the Roosevelt Island tram

Samuel Colt invented colt 45 malt liquor

The first man on the moon was high on moon dust and thought he was really there.

Our IQ is droppin by the second.:P

The first man on the moon was high on moon dust and thought he was really there.

And Al Gore invented the internet.:cool:

derp de dee der duh dum :P

Thats sad that some people dont know their U.S history but thank god i know it and people who know it. Why we go to school anyway? I thought if you were in school the teachers teach you and you remember it but some people forget about it.

I'm sorry, but these days the public schools canceled all classes in favor of "Bootleg Movies 101"

Everybody is too worried about updating there profile on Facebook and making sure they twitter there status at the hair salon.

Thank You!

You know that shyt is so annoying! I dont have time for that stuff anymore. I deleted mines because there are better things to do then waste time on there.

Anyways most Americans are dummer then what we think....

Much as I don't care about Jay Leno, his Jaywalking segments pretty much sums up a portion of the country's typical citizen: clueless about history.

Your not lying!

I bet if you walked 10 blocks down Lexington Av and asked 100 people and asked who Hariet Tubman is and they would just look at you and say "someone who invented tubs" but yet asked them same 100 poeple what there friends posted on facebook and will tell you that without question.

I have facebook and such stuff, but I visit my page like once a week. I've got other things to do in life than to worry about everything there. Sadly as great as technology is, it is also our downfall. We rely too much on it to let it tell us what to do than to think for ourselves.

I bet if you walked 10 blocks down Lexington Av and asked 100 people and asked who Hariet Tubman is and they would just look at you and say "someone who invented tubs" but yet asked them same 100 poeple what there friends posted on facebook and will tell you that without question.

My sister says that at her middle school, there are people who think that Harriet Tubman "invented the subway" because they have been told she orchestrated the "Underground Railroad".

What the hell do they teach these kids at school? How on earth do people not know there history? The idea that people know more about tweeting than about our own country's history is a disgrace. Every kid in this country should know our history. This is proof that we need to repair our education system.

What the hell do they teach these kids at school? How on earth do people not know there history? The idea that people know more about tweeting than about our own country's history is a disgrace. Every kid in this country should know our history. This is proof that we need to repair our education system.

Americans aren't dumb, GOP is dump.:(

There is no money to repair the education system, no money for transit, no money for healthcare etc.

Look at the scandinavian states, they have a good education system, because their tax rates are higher than in the rest of the world, but i know that americans don't like taxes and the gov itself.

HOw do people not know this? Come on, this is history for pete's sake.

I know. That crap has almost consumed the entire country. Who the hell cares about what you're doing every second of the day......except the others on said site. I know one thing, I never had a Facebook/Twitter/whatever else there is profile and I never will. Perfectly fine with a cellphone and traditional mail.

You mean the world.... Not just the country.

They teach the history, but nobody really listens or cares. If your parents don't care, why the hell should you. Playing PS3, baggin hoes, and hanging out on the block is much more exciting than learning about The Declaration of Independence.

Americans aren't dumb, GOP is dump.:(

There is no money to repair the education system, no money for transit, no money for healthcare etc.

Look at the scandinavian states, they have a good education system, because their tax rates are higher than in the rest of the world, but i know that americans don't like taxes and the gov itself.

If you love Scandinavia so much, why don't you move there?

If you love Scandinavia so much, why don't you move there?

Germany isn't also bad.:( but there a a lot of reasons to move there. Low crime rate, educational people, good health system, low poverty, good transit system, lucky people, good welfare, economic power, low unemployment rate, etc

nice flickr gallery, your photos are nice

Archived