MTA veterans give insight to hiring procedures and school car

Gambit

To the MTA T/O's with knowledge on initial hiring procedures and school car,

Please give us up and coming T/O's an insight as to what we will expect after we have already recieved our official grades from DCAS.

Please elaborate on the phases as well as time lines which you encountered while being hired as a potential T/O.

Please give information about school car as a new hire....how many are chosen for each school car class...duration of school car...hours at which school car must be attended....and any other information that can be useful.

Thank you for all your help and advice.:cool:

To the MTA T/O's with knowledge on initial hiring procedures and school car,

Please give us up and coming T/O's an insight as to what we will expect after we have already recieved our official grades from DCAS.

Please elaborate on the phases as well as time lines which you encountered while being hired as a potential T/O.

Figure on waiting a minimum of two years from the time we actually start hiring again. There is a promotional list that must be run through first. Once they get to the o/c list, expect to be called for a day of filling out paperwork, a physical, eye exam, hearing exam and a urine test. Since the urine test is only good for 90 days, you should be called for a class within that time. If not, you either came back dirty, were placed on a medical hold for some reason, you failed the background check (or the class got canceled).

Please give information about school car as a new hire....how many are chosen for each school car class...duration of school car...hours at which school car must be attended....and any other information that can be useful.

The smallest group of T/Os that DCAS hired in the last four years was 5 people, the largest was 100. In any event, once we get your names, we'll break you up into classes of between 8 and 10 people with two Instructors.

You will be in class for either 85 or 119 days, depending on which division (IRT or BMT/IND) you end up in. It is an 8 hour day with Sat and Sun (and holidays) off. Most classes will run from 0730 to 1530; however, you will spend two weeks as a class working the midnight tour and you will post with other T/Os on all three tours.

There are four practicals that you must pass, two exams that you must get an 80 or better on and a signal exam that you must get a 100 on in order to successfully complete the course.

After your third lateness during training, you are subject to termination (and we've lost a handful people this way in the last few years).

Figure on waiting a minimum of two years from the time we actually start hiring again. There is a promotional list that must be run through first. Once they get to the o/c list, expect to be called for a day of filling out paperwork, a physical, eye exam, hearing exam and a urine test. Since the urine test is only good for 90 days, you should be called for a class within that time. If not, you either came back dirty, were placed on a medical hold for some reason, you failed the background check (or the class got canceled).

The smallest group of T/Os that DCAS hired in the last four years was 5 people, the largest was 100. In any event, once we get your names, we'll break you up into classes of between 8 and 10 people with two Instructors.

You will be in class for either 85 or 119 days, depending on which division (IRT or BMT/IND) you end up in. It is an 8 hour day with Sat and Sun (and holidays) off. Most classes will run from 0730 to 1530; however, you will spend two weeks as a class working the midnight tour and you will post with other T/Os on all three tours.

There are four practicals that you must pass, two exams that you must get an 80 or better on and a signal exam that you must get a 100 on in order to successfully complete the course.

After your third lateness during training, you are subject to termination (and we've lost a handful people this way in the last few years).

Thank You for the info Alex...Could you give us hopeful conductors on the o/c list similar information?

I'm ready for the medical, them quack (C) average bastards won't get me again! If you read my post a while back, i was screwed out of a C/O spot because i was put on medical hold...and there was'nt anything wrong with me.

They ain't gettin a (2)nd chance to (F)(V)(C)(K) me over, i've pre-done everything: EKG...good; Urine...clean; Hearing...good; Vision...20/20; Blood...clean very low cholesterol...i use a scalpel to cut fat from my meat; Pressure...110/70.

I always wanted to be an motorman...train operator, whatever y'all prefer. I would've taken the conductor spot just to get in the system. I have everything and everyone lined up in case they try to get me again!(NYCT)(A)

Thank You for the info Alex...Could you give us hopeful conductors on the o/c list similar information?

Pretty much the same - changes are in BOLD

The smallest group of C/Rs that DCAS hired in the last four years was 8 people, the largest was 120. In any event, once we get your names, I'll break you up into classes of 10 people with two Instructors.

You will be in class for either 32 or 35 days, depending on which division (IRT or BMT/IND) you end up in. It is an 8 hour day with Sat and Sun (and holidays) off. Most classes will run from 0730 to 1530; however, you will post with other C/Rs on the AM and PM tours.

There are two practicals that you must pass and two exams that you must get an 80 or better on in order to successfully complete the course.

Pretty much the same - changes are in BOLD

The smallest group of C/Rs that DCAS hired in the last four years was 8 people, the largest was 120. In any event, once we get your names, I'll break you up into classes of 10 people with two Instructors.

You will be in class for either 32 or 35 days, depending on which division (IRT or BMT/IND) you end up in. It is an 8 hour day with Sat and Sun (and holidays) off. Most classes will run from 0730 to 1530; however, you will post with other C/Rs on the AM and PM tours.

There are two practicals that you must pass and two exams that you must get an 80 or better on in order to successfully complete the course.

As always,thank you for the info...Looking forward to meeting everyone from this forum....exam #8094...98.66...list # in the 400.

I'm ready for the medical, them quack (C) average bastards won't get me again! If you read my post a while back, i was screwed out of a C/O spot because i was put on medical hold...and there was'nt anything wrong with me.

They ain't gettin a (2)nd chance to (F)(V)(C)(K) me over, i've pre-done everything: EKG...good; Urine...clean; Hearing...good; Vision...20/20; Blood...clean very low cholesterol...i use a scalpel to cut fat from my meat; Pressure...110/70.

I always wanted to be an motorman...train operator, whatever y'all prefer. I would've taken the conductor spot just to get in the system. I have everything and everyone lined up in case they try to get me again!(NYCT)(A)

how strict are they with the cholesterol

How do people get called? By phone or mail? What time do they give you to respond to it? Do you have to make an immediate decision? Also, do they really test for high cholesterol? Diabetes? Do they care if you had lasik and had complications from the surgery? If yes, will it disqualify someone if they have bad night vision?

How do people get called? By phone or mail? What time do they give you to respond to it? Do you have to make an immediate decision? Also, do they really test for high cholesterol? Diabetes? Do they care if you had lasik and had complications from the surgery? If yes, will it disqualify someone if they have bad night vision?

The MTA is very particular about hiring people with pre-existing medical conditions. As an employee, you are responsible for the safety of others. So if you do have bad night vision, or anything else major, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The MTA is very particular about hiring people with pre-existing medical conditions. As an employee, you are responsible for the safety of others. So if you do have bad night vision, or anything else major, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Are you allowed to wear your glasses when taking the vision test?

I needed to know the specifics about the vision part of the exam.....ive worn glasses for reading for about 15 years.....recently I have had to put them on for when im driving at night......it was mentioned on a previous thread that if you cant see at night its bad news for you........I wanted to be very clear as to whether I would be denied if i cant pass a vision test for distance or night vision without corrective lenses or glasses???? if not, can I simply get the surgery to correct it prior to any medical? if I initially fail the test can I elect to have the surgery then or is it too late?

If anyone at all has the correct answers to any of these questions or knows who i can call or write to to get the answers, please please please, let me know.

thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.....

Rich(1)

What medical conditions will make the MTA not hire you?

when you go down to 180 livingston to do the medical, there is a 75 question test you must awnser on a computer(do you drink, how often,do you have heart problems, etc)..........be very careful how you awnser those questions; it may come back to bite you.......

if anything comes up thats in question(ekg,hearing,vision,etc)they will put you on medical hold.....so my suggestion to everyone in here waiting, make sure you get a full fledge physical from your personal doctor(hopefully you do not have hip as a medical provider).it will save you trouble in case something comes up............

i cost myself a month due to issues with the ta doctors............i paid out of pocket to see a cardiologist because hip has such a bs proceedure(u must see a regulsr doctor first before seeing a cardiologist with them)...........

I needed to know the specifics about the vision part of the exam.....ive worn glasses for reading for about 15 years.....recently I have had to put them on for when im driving at night......it was mentioned on a previous thread that if you cant see at night its bad news for you........I wanted to be very clear as to whether I would be denied if i cant pass a vision test for distance or night vision without corrective lenses or glasses???? if not, can I simply get the surgery to correct it prior to any medical? if I initially fail the test can I elect to have the surgery then or is it too late?

I've worn glasses full time for slightly over 38 years. My glasses correct from 20/475 to 20/25. They also contain a prism to correct for my double-vision (up/down not left/right like most people). I had no problem passing any vision test I was given.

If you wear glasses, you get to take the vision test while wearing them. If you can see well enough to function normally, you should have no problem passing. The biggest vision problem seems to be color-blindness.

OK well what about pre-existing medical conditions such as gouty arthritis (even if it isn't prevalent at the time and only had one major flare up a few years prior to the test), osteo-arthritis in the knees and a slight case of hypertension (although the blood pressure is in the high range but not by much and the cholesterol is low).

Also for another person on the list who has a bad case of periodontilitis (to the point he practically has all his front teeth rotted out of his mouth) and gets rare temporary blackouts whom he claims is only when he does massive amounts of OT at his job unloading trucks by himself (although he had blackouts as a child and he thinks it might be due to the periodontilitis).

How would something like that affect medical for these 2 people? First person supposdly needs glasses to drive at night but vision overall is still really good and the prescription is really weak, the second person's vision is worse but still ok with the glasses. Also do the medical requirements that could put you on hold or DQ you from the job the same between CR and TO? Or would they be a little more strict on the train operators?

Archived