New Flyer C40LF Archive Thread

East New York

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
If all goes according to plan, MTA is now set to award New Flyer its first option order for 83 additional C40's for MTA Bus!:cool:

All 475 buses are expected to be ordered at this times.

Awesome news! I can't wait for the official word for this order!:tup:

• 1 month later...

C40LFR Overview

New Flyer C40LFR $61,424,152 base order est.

-135 MTA spec coaches($454,993.72), Cummins Westport ISL G EPA 2010, 8.9L, 280 hp, Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brakes

*2 Pilots set for delivery in April 2011. Delivery of remaining 133 buses expected to begin December 2011, and run through April 2012.

*Fleet 7820-7954, or 7850-7984 expected.

*Buses are expected to go to College Point, Gleason, Spring Creek, and West Farms depots.

Fleet numbers, specs, and other info subject to change. Different bus configurations may be tested as well.

MTA has until August of 2011 to exercise the optional order of 340 additional buses. Under the current contract, 183 of the buses will go to NYCT, and 157 will go to MTAB. Delivery of all buses would be expected by December of 2012. During contract negotiations, New Flyer and MTA discussed the performance of the C40LF's at Gleason, as well as further proposals, pilot testing, exceptions to the technical specifications of the new buses, and a few other issues. At contract award, the C40LFR, was not approved for structural reasons, and would need to go through extensive testing before the MTA would go with that model. At this time, the TA will continue foreward opting for the LFR variant. When the pilots arrive in April of 2011, they will begin what will be one of the most extensive testing programs in MTA history. One of the buses will be used for 90 days of in-service testing and training. The other will be used for configuration audit, systems validation, and qualification testing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the time has come that we all have so patiently been waiting for. I am being told the New Flyer pilots and pretty much ready to go! I have not been able to confirm the exact date when they will arrive, but it is time. As more info comes in, I will be sure to post it! Keep youre eyes open, and cameras ready!:P

Stay tuned!

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the time has come that we all have so patiently been waiting for. I am being told the New Flyer pilots and pretty much ready to go! I have not been able to confirm the exact date when they will arrive, but it is time. As more info comes in, I will be sure to post it! Keep youre eyes open, and cameras ready!:P

Stay tuned!

OMG it's gonna be on and poppin now!!!!! I can't wait!

New Flyer Industries management is commited to migrating to the Xcelsior next generation platform by 2013. As may of you already know the NF X-series buses are now available for transit operations across North America. Over the next year and a half, the top selling LFR series will be discontinued.

Are we still going to get the D40LFR's or are they history?

History. Looks like the only LFR's to be delivered will be the C40's my man. The first 2 of those should be in soon. I heard today there was some kind of issue with the buses that needs attention. Wouldn't surprise me at all. I can't remember the last times a pilot bus passed an MTA audit inspection straight off the line. Looks like delivery could possibly slip into May.

I don't have a problem with the looks of the bus, but rather the tanks. At least on the more boxy Orion V and the sleek Orion VII, the tank looks smooth, but on the C40s it just looks wrong.

The tanks aren't visible on the Xcelsior.

Have you wrode a Xcelsior yet? I loved ZUM's I cant wait to try Brampton Transit's and Oakville Transit's

I've been on the hybrid demo. I love the ride, and it handles great.

Too bad they couldn't order both D40s and the XD40s, the more the merrier! Then again it would be unfair to Orion and Nova as they only offer one bus model at the moment.

I believe that's the main reason why the order won't be mixed. Originally the MTA was going to test hybrids from both New Flyer and Orion. But they wouldn't have been able to compare those with a Nova diesel. So we demoed the XDE40, have an LFS dominant electric hybrid demo coming, and we will likely see the Orion Allison hybrid demo come back to the city.

Note that New Flyer also wants to move its customers over to the Xcelsior platform anyway.

Archived