New Flyer C40LF Archive Thread

East New York

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Breaking News! As I originally reported last summer (at the start of this thread) the MTA has in fact gone with the C40LF, and NOT the C40LFR. I was told the first pilot bus off the assembly line failed MTA's audit inspection, and had to be modified. All is supposedly going well now, and the buses will be on the way!

Stay tuned!!:cool:

Breaking News! As I originally reported last summer (at the start of this thread) the MTA has in fact gone with the C40LF, and NOT the C40LFR. I was told the first pilot bus off the assembly line failed MTA's audit inspection, and had to be modified. All is supposedly going well now, and the buses will be on the way!

Yup, I heard the same thing, I wonder if the MTA paid extra money to have C40LFs produced instead of the redesigned version. Hmmm....

Let me get this straight, the new buses are going to be new versions of the current C40LF's out in Brooklyn and not all new different looking models?

Yup, I heard the same thing, I wonder if the MTA paid extra money to have C40LFs produced instead of the redesigned version. Hmmm....

Lookin at the contract, it appears that New Flyer did not charge the TA any extra money. I hear they had an agreement in place for the buses, and if they had charged the MTA extra for the LFR, Orion would have won the bid.

Let me get this straight, the new buses are going to be new versions of the current C40LF's out in Brooklyn and not all new different looking models?

Correct. MTA did not approve the LFR structure. When the claim was made that the TA would opt for the LFR, I never looked into it myself, as I should have. MTA is known for changing "details," so I didn't think twice about it.

Quote from 7/23/10

As of right now, the bus is the C40LF. Not the LFR. The LF has not been discontinued.

This also reduced the maintenance costs for the MTA, as the fleet will share common parts.

Essentially.

Lookin at the contract, it appears that New Flyer did not charge the TA any extra money. I hear they had an agreement in place for the buses, and if they had charged the MTA extra for the LFR, Orion would have won the bid.

Correct. MTA did not approve the LFR structure. When the claim was made that the TA would opt for the LFR, I never looked into it myself, as I should have. MTA is known for changing "details," so I didn't think twice about it.

Oh hell no! I'm not thrilled with this news at all. I was under the impression that we were going to get LFR's and I was really excited to see those buses in the (MTA) livery, now it's just a new version of old shit. I like the C40LF's but I wanted something NEW not something old from New Flyer. I've lost all excitement over this order with this news. :( :mad: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

The only downside now is that these new C40LFs won't have Detroit Diesel Series 50 G engines like their senior C40LFs :(

I agree. I do however like Cummins diesel powered New Flyers. I've been on Atlanta's C40's, but I don't remember what the power plant was.

Oh hell no! I'm not thrilled with this news at all. I was under the impression that we were going to get LFR's and I was really excited to see those buses in the (MTA) livery, now it's just a new version of old shit. I like the C40LF's but I wanted something NEW not something old from New Flyer. I've lost all excitement over this order with this news. :( :mad: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Right! :mad:

MTA will get the last LF order then

I wonder when Gleason gets them will they even have to do driver training? LOL. Of course the maintenance people will have to learn the ISL engine, but, these new old face C40LF that are coming sound pretty much the same as the current ones in JG, of course the signs, seats and paint scheme will be different though...

Also, its pretty lame the MTA is ordering buses that looks like it came in the 90s when all the other buses coming into the system have fresh modern, designs, showing that they was designed in recent times, even MCI made their commuter coach more stylish.

I also wonder if riders on JG routes will notice that these are actually brand new buses, honestly I think that riders will think that are remanning the older C40s in attempt to save money or some ish lol.

This just sucks, the closest operator to NYC with LFR's is Septa, and I don't think they even have regular ones, some trackless trolley bus. I guess the next best thing is Maryland MTA and WAMTA for LFRs.

I really hope the MTA changes its mind once again goes with the LFR's, seeing brand new 1990 style buses in 2011 is just... Ugh!

I guess NF doesn't offer a 40FT XD40 CNG bus, oh well...

MTA will get the last LF order then

As it stands now yes.

I wonder when Gleason gets them will they even have to do driver training? LOL. Of course the maintenance people will have to learn the ISL engine, but, these new old face C40LF that are coming sound pretty much the same as the current ones in JG, of course the signs, seats and paint scheme will be different though...

Also, its pretty lame the MTA is ordering buses that looks like it came in the 90s when all the other buses coming into the system have fresh modern, designs, showing that they was designed in recent times, even MCI made their commuter coach more stylish.

I also wonder if riders on JG routes will notice that these are actually brand new buses, honestly I think that riders will think that are remanning the older C40s in attempt to save money or some ish lol.

This just sucks, the closest operator to NYC with LFR's is Septa, and I don't think they even have regular ones, some trackless trolley bus. I guess the next best thing is Maryland MTA and WAMTA for LFRs.

I really hope the MTA changes its mind once again goes with the LFR's, seeing brand new 1990 style buses in 2011 is just... Ugh!

I guess NF doesn't offer a 40FT XD40 CNG bus, oh well...

Driver training won't really be needed at JG. Just an overview, and they may have each driver take it out once to get used to it. The buses is virtually the same. However, from the interior, passengers will likely know they are new. They will have that new-car smell, and the lighting will likely be LED. If Luminator is chosen for the signs, the key pad is much different that it used to be. They are like mini computer screens now.

When you see a new LF, you can still tell it's new for the most part. The average rider however will likely not notice.

What about the RTS though? Same general design from 1978-2006

SEPTA has darn near the entire NF line. LF's & LFR's from diesel to hybrid to trolly.

Yes, NF does offer an XC40, but they have not sold any to date. The only CNG produced so far XC60 (artic). The most popular model so far is the XDE40.

What about the RTS though? Same general design from 1978-2006

The RTS has always looked the same. There were never 2 different versions of that bus. Even with Millenium getting the bus, their version of the RTS was the ONLY version of it, but with the C40, there's 2 versions. Apples and oranges.

The RTS has always looked the same. There were never 2 different versions of that bus. Even with Millenium getting the bus, their version of the RTS was the ONLY version of it, but with the C40, there's 2 versions. Apples and oranges.

Don't forget about the RTS Wide Front Door. Starting in what 1990 IIRC, they started offering the new front end.

Don't forget about the RTS Wide Front Door. Starting in what 1990 IIRC, they started offering the new front end.

This is the first time that I'm hearing of this. I always thought the wide door version came about when Millenium came around with it. Interesting but I would think that the bus doesn't look that much different than the regular door version BUT with that said, I have to see a pic of this. I could be wrong here lol.

This is the first time that I'm hearing of this. I always thought the wide door version came about when Millenium came around with it. Interesting but I would think that the bus doesn't look that much different than the regular door version BUT with that said, I have to see a pic of this. I could be wrong here lol.

4873502526_29691276f9_z.jpg

CTA took delivery of the first WFD in 1990. This is the 3rg generation WFD model.

No Nova had it and im sure it was around before that

Incorrect - there were at least four unique versions of the RTS based on styling variations:

RTS 01 (1977-1978) and RTS 03 (1978-1980) - slope back, frameless side windows, flush rear bumper. 01’s had only one window in left front door leaf and small raised sections on front bumper

RTS 04 (1981-1986) and RTS 06 (1986-2002) - straight back, extruding rear bumper; framed side windows optional; push-type rear door optional. The rearmost window on each side (the 'porkchop' window) was eliminated by TMC in the early 1990's. The RTS model you all know and love

RTS 08 (1989-1994) - modified front module with a flatter front and wider doors to accommodate a wheelchair lift; Chicago 08's also had a narrow rear door and also a rear window as built

RTS WFD (1994-2002) - further modified version of the 08 model with protruding headlights and a black front bumper

Archived