New Flyer C40LF Archive Thread

East New York

There are many different factors such as funding, availability, cost at time of contract signing, delivery timetables, fleet replacement programs, product negotiations, etc.

And then I know that they're tested endlessly. I mean I actually went to college partially in Plattsburgh so I actually got to see where they (Bombardier) was testing at least some of the subway cars at. :cool: However, when they're testing them, what do they look at? For example, most bus companies seem to be focusing on making the customer's commute more comfortable even on the simple local bus because they see the potential in what a bus can become in the future. My understanding with the (MTA) however has been that their focus is on getting the buses out, so if there's no A/C they'd rather have a bus running than nothing at all. The reason I ask this is because cartmann pointed out that the new Novas have no ventilation in the back of the bus and I actually used one the other day and went back there to test it and it's true. I would think that that would be something that wouldn't be overlooked in a bus that costing a cool 600 - 700k. :eek:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And then I know that they're tested endlessly. I mean I actually went to college partially in Plattsburgh so I actually got to see where they (Bombardier) was testing at least some of the subway cars at. :cool: However, when they're testing them, what do they look at? For example, most bus companies seem to be focusing on making the customer's commute more comfortable even on the simple local bus because they see the potential in what a bus can become in the future. My understanding with the (MTA) however has been that their focus is on getting the buses out, so if there's no A/C they'd rather have a bus running than nothing at all. The reason I ask this is because cartmann pointed out that the new Novas have no ventilation in the back of the bus and I actually used one the other day and went back there to test it and it's true. I would think that that would be something that wouldn't be overlooked in a bus that costing a cool 600 - 700k. :eek:

Bus makers are focused on satisfying their target customers at virtually all costs. Competition is fierce right now.

MTA likes to play with the specs of most all their local bus orders. This helps decide which options best fit their needs. The Nova's have 2 different HVAC systems. Some have the standard Carrier, and 15 have the Thermo King. I think the Carrier is just a little too weak. I would expect the the new articulated coaches to have the Thermo King as well.

New Flyer C40LF Base Order 135, Option 1 order 250. (185-569)

Pilot Buses: #185 Spring Creek and #230 West Farms.

KRgoods465.jpg

KRgoods473.jpg

Photo Courtesy KNIGHTRIDER3:16

185-208: Spring Creek (24) September-October

209-229: College Point (21) October-November

230-283: West Farms (54) November-December

284-319: Jackie Gleason (36) December-January 2012

Option 1 Preliminary assignments. (Not yet confirmed or set in stone)

320-345: Spring Creek (26) January 2012-February 2012

346-398: College Point (53) February-April

399-569: Jackie Gleason (171) April-October

Option 2 (if exercised) for 90 buses (570-659) will likely be delivered October 2012-January 2013

All delivery dates and assignments subject to change.

See I knew those numbers would be valid. It's pretty obvious, thanks for the update.:tup:

Major assignment changes for the C40LF's. I don't have details yet, but delivery to College Point of both new and old C40's is supposed be expedited to replace those Orion V's, and to Gleason to also replace the V's and bump a few C40's to College Point.

Archived