The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know what ever happened to the testing of the new double decker busses?

overhead clearance problems would have restricted their usage on most routes, plus it has stairs. MTA is trying to get away from buses with too many stairs...

overhead clearance problems would have restricted their usage on most routes, plus it has stairs. MTA is trying to get away from buses with too many stairs...

Yeah, but they had a trial in 2008. I am just curious to what happened with the trial. In London they replaced some double-deckers with "bendy" (articulated) busses and they sucked, people threw out their Mayor and more routemasters are coming. Same could be true here in NYC. Perhaps for SBS where people are on the bus for longer so climbing the stairs isn't a pain.

08double.533.jpg

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/double-decker-bus-gets-a-trial-run/?scp=2&sq=double%20decker%20bus%20mta&st=cse

In London they replaced some double-deckers with "bendy" (articulated) busses and they sucked, people threw out their Mayor and more routemasters are coming.

The problems with the ‘bendy’ buses in London had less to do with the buses themselves and more to do with the narrow streets of London being a poor fit for such long buses.

Yeah, but they had a trial in 2008. I am just curious to what happened with the trial. In London they replaced some double-deckers with "bendy" (articulated) busses and they sucked, people threw out their Mayor and more routemasters are coming. Same could be true here in NYC. Perhaps for SBS where people are on the bus for longer so climbing the stairs isn't a pain.

The double decker was just a demo. At the time, MTA was exploring the use of the buses but declined to order them because of clearance issues, and the fact that many depots wouldn't be able to house them.

The double decker was just a demo. At the time, MTA was exploring the use of the buses but declined to order them because of clearance issues, and the fact that many depots wouldn't be able to house them.

It seems like a shame. From my experience in London, the double deckers accelerate faster than the articulated busses and provide a generally better ride. Plus the view from above is fantastic. Given that there are tons of tour busses using these vehicles, if there was the political will, it should have been possible to integrate them into the MTA fleet. Oh well.

It seems like a shame. From my experience in London, the double deckers accelerate faster than the articulated busses and provide a generally better ride. Plus the view from above is fantastic. Given that there are tons of tour busses using these vehicles, if there was the political will, it should have been possible to integrate them into the MTA fleet. Oh well.

I agree, it would have been really great if we had gotten double-deckers in the fleet. I rode the demo in 2008 and it was really awesome. What's so funny about the (MTA) argument here is that they have to do clearance stuff for all the depots just to get an articulated bus in the depots, so what's the difference with a D-D? It's silly if you ask me. The city makes changes for the stupidest stuff, why not make adjustments to bring in something like a double-decker bus? I'm just sayin...

I agree, it would have been really great if we had gotten double-deckers in the fleet. I rode the demo in 2008 and it was really awesome. What's so funny about the (MTA) argument here is that they have to do clearance stuff for all the depots just to get an articulated bus in the depots, so what's the difference with a D-D? It's silly if you ask me. The city makes changes for the stupidest stuff, why not make adjustments to bring in something like a double-decker bus? I'm just sayin...

Simple, height clearance, not length.

Articulated buses don't have clearance issues. If the depot is large enough to house them, they have to have parking space, and the maintenance bays just have to be equipped for the lifts basically. A double decker can't sit anywhere but in a yard. MTA would have to tear off the roofs and doors on depots to allow them to fit. I don't think spending all that money to add a new bus model in the fleet is effective at all. If they were to ever get DD's, they should only be ran on high tourist routes anyway like the 5th/Madison lines, or highly used express routes.

Articulated buses don't have clearance issues. If the depot is large enough to house them, they have to have parking space, and the maintenance bays just have to be equipped for the lifts basically. A double decker can't sit anywhere but in a yard. MTA would have to tear off the roofs and doors on depots to allow them to fit. I don't think spending all that money to add a new bus model in the fleet is effective at all. If they were to ever get DD's, they should only be ran on high tourist routes anyway like the 5th/Madison lines, or highly used express routes.

And that would have been fine. I thought the DD were going to be just for the 5th/Madison Ave routes and Express Bus routes anyways? And they are rebuilding the Mother Hale Depot, so it would be a win-win to make sure that the depot and any other new depot built and rebulit from this day forth is one that can handle buses as high as DD's.

I feel like if they tested the DD's out of Yonkers and Yukon (I think that was the other express depot) then they could have ordered about 50, split them 25/25 and it would have been fine. When the Yukon ones started to wear out first, they would be swapped with YON's, just like they do now with the MCIs and CP.

I feel like if they tested the DD's out of Yonkers and Yukon (I think that was the other express depot) then they could have ordered about 50, split them 25/25 and it would have been fine. When the Yukon ones started to wear out first, they would be swapped with YON's, just like they do now with the MCIs and CP.

It was tested out of Yukon and Cast. They couldnt get the bus into either depot! The overhead doors were to low. When parked outside at night they had to refuel the bus with a 55 gallon drum!

It was tested out of Yukon and Cast. They couldnt get the bus into either depot! The overhead doors were to low. When parked outside at night they had to refuel the bus with a 55 gallon drum!

It ran out of Yonkers and Castleton. It just made a visit to Yukon.

I thought it was Yukon since it ran on the x17J for a majority of the time.

It ran on the X30 for a couple of days as well as x17j. I saw the bus on a daily basis while it was on SI. Cait You know I do work out here, and Im not gonna post garbage, but guess other know more than I do. Sorry.....:P

It ran on the X30 for a couple of days as well as x17j. I saw the bus on a daily basis while it was on SI. Cait You know I do work out here, and Im not gonna post garbage, but guess other know more than I do. Sorry.....:P

My bad! I thought it only made a visit. I wasn't brought up to speed on that one. I caught it out of Yonkers.

Oh I know how you do your thing out there!

• 3 weeks later...

The Prevost pilot is approximately 3 week out from delivery!(Cred to Trevor for the info.)

The New Flyer XD40 pilots are up next!

After that, the Orion VII E10/3G pilots and the first wave of C40LF's will begin to arrive!

CP is supposed to receive a couple more 800's as well.

Archived