The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not aware of one being built in August. The last demo I know of was the one built in November which is the one I used for the information provided on the Pilot. Unless it was built in Canada, but I doubt that.

That being said, I assume the one built in August had the Allison, and the one built in November after the award had the ZF. This would make perfect sense then if that is indeed the case. And yes, it was definitely built in New York.

And I didn't take it as you bashing, I am glad you asked because the information I provided was incorrect and I want to give correct information. I will make sure to have all information before providing an answer in the future.

Awesome, I didnt want it to be one of those "OMGYOURWRONG" cases. Just wanted to clear that up lol

That being said, I assume the one built in August had the Allison, and the one built in November after the award had the ZF. This would make perfect sense then if that is indeed the case. And yes, it was definitely built in New York.

The Pilot, the bus in August and the bus in November are all one in the same. I believe it was originally scheduled for August, but was delayed for various reasons. The reason I say this is Nova did not build any demos in 2010 except for in June. Then the Pilot in November.

The demo you had in February to April must have been from the 2009 demo's built at the plant. There were at least 6 different demos so I am not sure which it would have been. So it very well could have had an Allison Transmission as I believe most of them did.

The Pilot, the bus in August and the bus in November are all one in the same. I believe it was originally scheduled for August, but was delayed for various reasons. The reason I say this is Nova did not build any demos in 2010 except for in June. Then the Pilot in November.

The demo you had in February to April must have been from the 2009 demo's built at the plant. There were at least 6 different demos so I am not sure which it would have been. So it very well could have had an Allison Transmission as I believe most of them did.

Ok, so let me get this straight. After we tested 0055 (our second LFS demo), the pilot was started in August, and delivered for evaluation in November. That's the one with the ZF that may or may not come back with group 2?

Ok, so let me get this straight. After we tested 0055 (our second LFS demo), the pilot was started in August, and delivered for evaluation in November. That's the one with the ZF that may or may not come back with group 2?

As far as I know, that is correct regarding the build. I do not believe it will come back as the plant is scheduled to build 90 buses from scratch. Unless Nova is throwing in a free-bee, unlikely though.;)

Interesting. Is that an internal numbering system or are those MTA Regional buses 8000 and 8001? If we've got an 8xxx series again, I'll be impressed.

Those are MTA numbers. Nova's numbers are coincidentally similar for the first 15, but that is it.

As far as I know, that is correct regarding the build. I do not believe it will come back as the plant is scheduled to build 90 buses from scratch. Unless Nova is throwing in a free-bee, unlikely though.;)

Those are MTA numbers. Nova's numbers are coincidentally similar for the first 15, but that is it.

Thanks for the updates, and info man. It is greatly appreciated!:cool:

So there you have it, the LFS order will be the 8000 series. Interesting, thanks for the info!

I really think they should have placed them in the 1300's, and renumbered the DL's.

There is a lot of speculation about the new CNG base order being numbered 7820-7954, or 7850-7984.

I wonder if the test series will end up like this.....

Nova 8000-8089

Orion 8100-8189

New Flyer 8200-8289

I thought Nova numbers were based on order numbers? (like L567-1, -2, etc.)

They are, the first order of 15 buses is L608. They use the last two digits of the contract number (L608) and three digits for the actual bus. Which means internally at Nova the unit numbers are 8001 - 8015. The next batch which is for 60 units is contract L620 so unit numbers would be 20001 - 20060.

Ok, I have confirmed that the specs for the 90 Orion VII 3G's have been re-finalized, and finally set for award this month.

I haven't been able to confirm the details of the New Flyer order just yet, but I am being told the TA is leaning towards the XD40. This contract is also set to be awarded this month as well, but that is still a toss up. Either way, when the contract is awarded, it will only read "90 standard low-floor buses." However, depending on how it is worded, and if it says "we tested a similar bus under a no-charge loan," then we will know it is the Xcelsior.

The suspense is killing me!:confused:

Should be next week as long as they pass MTA's audit inspection.

There was an issue with the vendor of the exterior side panels and Nova decided to replace them on the first 15 buses (12 of which were already installed). This was caught before inspection and first 3 buses are being re-assembled today and tomorrow. Should be inspected early next week. Will update as I get more information. Also heard discussion were happening regarding Artic order, haven't gotten any details yet though.

Hey I was talking to my source at QV, and one of the drivers.

They said they recently just got one of the new LFS's but it hasnt entered service yet. Its being used for testing, training and etc.

If true, thats great news! However TA employees like to pull buffs legs sometimes about info, reminds me of when someone posted on subchat a while that an (C) line T/O told them that there was single R179 @ Pikin Yard testing, which of course wasn't true.

Hey I was talking to my source at QV, and one of the drivers.

They said they recently just got one of the new LFS's but it hasnt entered service yet. Its being used for testing, training and etc.

None of the new LFS's have left the facility or been accepted by the inspectors. First ones should be ready by end of this week for inspection. Configuration audit was just completed and I have not heard the results yet, so this could change things if there were any issues but unlikely given the previous config audit. The final area is filling with buses meaning once inspection starts these should be rolling towards the city in a steady stream.:P

None of the new LFS's have left the facility or been accepted by the inspectors. First ones should be ready by end of this week for inspection. Configuration audit was just completed and I have not heard the results yet, so this could change things if there were any issues but unlikely given the previous config audit. The final area is filling with buses meaning once inspection starts these should be rolling towards the city in a steady stream.:P

Ok thanks for clarifying that, because I was thinking there's no way they remanufactured that so fast and delivered it. Well idk what they were talking about but they said there was something "new" there.

None of the new LFS's have left the facility or been accepted by the inspectors. First ones should be ready by end of this week for inspection. Configuration audit was just completed and I have not heard the results yet, so this could change things if there were any issues but unlikely given the previous config audit. The final area is filling with buses meaning once inspection starts these should be rolling towards the city in a steady stream.:)

Actually, before it heads to the city, those buses have to go to Prevost facility in New Jersey for final inspection and other things, once its done... we maybe see them in the city either in service or training.

More like March not February when the Nova LFS-40 footer to be in service.

Anyway, other news. MTA release the Board Meeting materials. Orion and New Flyer is getting the contract for 90 buses each with some ODD details in the summary, if MTA approves, we'll see them in the Fall and next year. see the document at: http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110217_1045_bus.pdf

Well, here it is. It is now official, and in black and white for everyone to see.

The 90 buses each from New Flyer and Orion are now set for board approval, which is imminent. I will have more details about the specifications, and some other info in the coming days.

The order of delivery has been changed. New Flyer will be next to deliver buses instead of Orion, as originally planned.

New Flyer is to deliver 2 pilots in July, and complete delivery of the remaining coaches between August and September.

Orion is to deliver 2 3G pilots in September, and the remainder between October and December.

The only thing I want to know now is XD40, or D40LFR!!?? From what I have seen, and what I have been told, it could be either model at this point.

w8hou,

Thanks for posting that link. I'm a operations geek at heart and like reading stuff like that.

Two things sprang out at me though:

1.) The little paragraph at the end about "getting permission from senior management to continue doing business with Orion because of adverse information concerning Orion's parent company" did not sound good. While the committee seems to think they will have no problems with getting the ok to continue placing orders, that's looks like some kind of "last chance" deal with Orion (or it's parent). Anybody have the details on what's goin on there?

2.) Reading the order for parts for the Prevost, it looks like the order is split between NYCT and MTA Bus. Figuring a 45/45 split and the condition of the MCIs on Staten Island, it looks like UP and QV will get no Prevost love this round. More than likely they'll get included in the next round of express bus orders. As far as MTA Bus, I could see Yonkers and Eastchester getting the X3s and shifting some 3000s to SC,CP or even over to SI to push more 18/19/2000s out. If you see any flaws in that, I'd welcome the discussion.

In all 2011 is shaping up to be a exciting year at the (MTA)

^ I skim through those two contracts, clearly... there some odd things to put on this board meeting material. There is more interesting tidbits on both contracts. I repost my post here....

Non-competitive bus orders to be approve: Page 51-53

MTA is set to approve Orion and New Flyer bus contracts (40ft, clean diesels only).

Orion Bus ($40.3 million contract)

- 2 pilot buses to be schedule deliver in September 2011. Delivery begins October and December 2011.

- 75 buses standard configuration, 15 buses will be customized... (technical details) = 90 buses

Then there some odd explanation:

"There was significant adverse information concerning DBNA (Daimler Bus North America)'s parent within the meaning of the All-Agency Responsibility Guidelines. However, senior management approval is being obtain to continue to do business with DBNA and its affiliates barring any new significant adverse information. The contract will not be issued unless and until such approval is obtained."

>>>Clearly there is really something with this contract, I really wonder why?:tdown:

New Flyer ($29.2 million contract)

- 2 pilot buses scheduled to be delivered in July 2011. Delivery begins August - December 2011.

- 75 buses standard configuration, 15 buses will be customized... (technical details) = 90 buses

Then there some odd explanation:

"In accordance with Public Authorities Law 1209, paragraph 9, this contract will not be awarded earlier than 30 days from the date on which the authority declares competitive bidding to be impractical or inappropriate."

>>> Don't mess it up, New Flyer. :P

On both contracts, this weird sentence document:

"NYCT has a commitment to prioritize NY content in its rolling stock purchases that will be reflected in future procurements for any buses that become qualified. It is our hope and intent that as more companies become qualified there will be more manufacturing jobs in New York State"

>>> New Flyer *may be* want to set up business in New York? They might as well get Gillig or El Dorado or even NABI to come here as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Orion Bus contract, maybe the deal with MTA has to do that long laundry list of defects on the Orion VII bus fleet on HEV and CNG have not yet fully cuttin the deal yet.

It'll be interesting thing in the board meeting.

New Flyer *may be* want to set up business in New York? They might as well get Gillig or El Dorado or even NABI to come here as well.

While I can see NABI possibly building buses for the (MTA) I don't see Gillig and Eldorado sending buses here. Gillig usually likes to aim for small and midsize TA's and Eldorado has never produced a large scale order as far as I know.

Archived