The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

I guess the (MTA) and MCI have kissed and made up from the problems they have been having in the last couple of years. It'll be good to have some more new MCI's in the fleet and more variety in the Express Bus department with Prevost in the picture. Thanks for the update ENY. :tup:

We shall see!

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28741

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did the TA switch to Alcoas? I'm still trying to piece together how an Orion VII or C40LF would look with the cast iron rims.

Trying to look for that post that explained how the Alcoas heated up more quickly on city buses because they stopped more frequently, but that LI's Orions went farther without stopping and were fine with the Alcoas.

Speaking of that, I take it the Bee-Line buses are finally getting cast iron rims, which strikes me as a leap of faith as I thought they'd be gone before they got the chance. 105 had the cast irons when I shot it last week.

I think Joel is referring to the fact the 1700s and 1800s are on Alcoas, however.

LGA's buses got cast iron while Baisley Park's batch got Alcoas.

I would assume the 1700s and 1800s got Alcoas for uniformity, especially since the 1800s were federally funded.

Speaking of that, I take it the Bee-Line buses are finally getting cast iron rims, which strikes me as a leap of faith as I thought they'd be gone before they got the chance. 105 had the cast irons when I shot it last week.

I think Joel is referring to the fact the 1700s and 1800s are on Alcoas, however.

I think he was talking about the recent TA demos. All of which had Alcoas. LIB has been using them for nearly 20 years now.

Even LIB/MSBA had the five-spoke (hole?) rims until the first batch of Orion V CNGs arrived in 1992.

Cast Iron was the most popular choice over the years by far. However in the 90's, and now to a greater extent in the 2000's, many agencies are going with the Alcoas. This is being pioneered by New Flyer, which now seems to have more customers opting for them than not. I know a couple TA's that have had Cast for their entire existance, and are now getting Alcoas on their NF's.

I just want to clear this up one final time. Yes, the new CNG order is competitive, yet "on paper" only. If it was truely "fair game" then I would not already know who the order was going to! When the black and white comes out, I will explain it all in detail, as I am not at liberty to discuss it publicly at this point in time. Actually, I'm going to post on the subject a few days before the official documents are posted just to prove a point yet again. Smh...

As I have said before, some people will never get the picture until they see the flash! Cue the cameras please!:P

Stay tuned!:P

I just want to clear this up one final time. Yes, the new CNG order is competitive, yet "on paper" only. If it was truely "fair game" then I would not already know who the order was going to! When the black and white comes out, I will explain it all in detail, as I am not at liberty to discuss it publicly at this point in time. Actually, I'm going to post on the subject a few days before the official documents are posted just to prove a point yet again. Smh...

As I have said before, some people will never get the picture until they see the flash! Cue the cameras please!:P

Stay tuned!:P

When is the news supposed to come out as to who's getting the 74 + 30 option order?

When is the news supposed to come out as to who's getting the 74 + 30 option order?

Within the next 60 days it should be public IIRC. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have it in front of me.

As far as who it's going to..... you'll have to wait and see my friend!!:P

Within the next 60 days it should be public IIRC. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have it in front of me.

As far as who it's going to..... you'll have to wait and see my friend!!:P

Aww man! LOL Nah it's cool, I'm looking forward to hearing who gets the rest of the CNG order in the proper time

Current Orders

135 New Flyer C40LF's

90 Nova LFS' (delivery 65% complete)

90 New Flyer XD40's

90 Orion VII E10/3G's

90 Prevost X3-45's

60 MCI D4500CT's

Confirmed upcoming orders (Revised). (Months shown reflect current award "due by" date.)

-June

171 40 footers for NYCT. 70 buses to be delivered by January 2012. The remainder due by June 2012.

83 40 foot CNG's for MTAB (Award behind schedule)

(These buses are New Flyer Options)

-July

60 MCI D4500CT's. To be delivered by December 2011/January 2012

-August

90 New Flyer Xcelsior Articulated buses. 45 due to be delivered by August 2012, with the remainder due by January of 2013

328 Novabus LFS Articulated buses. (Award behind schedule)

-November

64 40 foot CNG buses. Total order delivery expected by January 2013

-December

104 40 foot buses. Delivery schedule TBA

-January 2012

99 Express coaches. The first 48 buses are due to be delivered by January 2013

-February 2012

89 Additional Express coaches. Delivery schedule TBA

I originally posted a few months ago that the TA would be taking delivery of 60 new express buses. Then I posted that it was increased to 99 units. I just clarified that the TA will take delivery of 60 new coaches under a previous agreement with MCI. (5 coaches have not been added to the order.) The order for 99 additional coaches still stands, and is due for award by years end/January.

I am also being told that the 90 New Flyer Xcelsior artics are now due to begin delivery by summer 2012. The pilots are expected by the beginning of 2012. All details should be confirmed by July. Dates are pending contract award, and pilot acceptance.

The FTA funded order for 73 Base, 30 Option CNG 40 foot contract: TBA

Note: All bus orders above have been confirmed. Dates of award, delivery schedule, and technical details subject to change.

(MTA)

• 3 weeks later...
DAMN.

We're gettting a hella-lot of new buses this year to first quater 2012!

that must mean that Eastchester and ENY is gonna have a hell of a lot of OT available in the coming months...i might have to put in for a transfer lol

Extra set of tags in the XD60 image, and these bus orders (except the Prevost) are coming with framed windows?

Thanks.

The Orion's will be the only ones that have framed windows from what I understand.

when BP gets the artics imma be out there.

I really hope they get New Flyers, and JFK gets Nova's.

Those XD40s do not look good with the rimmed windows, hopefully our Xcelsiors skip that option...

The front end is fine with framed its just the back since it has the lines for frameless windows over say the LFR sides and if it wasnt for that it would be able to pull off framed windows.

So, I was just looking through some documents for the 90 New Flyer Xcelsior artic order, and I noticed the procurement price is significantly higher than that of the Nova order. About $70,000 per bus give or take. Makes me wonder if they will be CNG's in the end.........:confused:

So, I was just looking through some documents for the 90 New Flyer Xcelsior artic order, and I noticed the procurement price is significantly higher than that of the Nova order. About $70,000 per bus give or take. Makes me wonder if they will be CNG's in the end.........:confused:

than off to West Farms they go...

Archived