The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

While I can see NABI possibly building buses for the (MTA) I don't see Gillig and Eldorado sending buses here. Gillig usually likes to aim for small and midsize TA's and Eldorado has never produced a large scale order as far as I know.

Gillig, not any more... they are competing in large size TA.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks to me as if the contracts were rushed with these two orders.

Orion - I don't see anything about the power train. Disc brakes we already knew about.

New Flyer - Looks like the XD40, but I can't be for sure just yet. The LFR has already passed MTA's structural integrity testing. I don't see anything about power train specs in this one either.

I should have more details after the board meeting.

Two things sprang out at me though:

1.) The little paragraph at the end about "getting permission from senior management to continue doing business with Orion because of adverse information concerning Orion's parent company" did not sound good. While the committee seems to think they will have no problems with getting the ok to continue placing orders, that's looks like some kind of "last chance" deal with Orion (or it's parent). Anybody have the details on what's goin on there?

"There was significant adverse information concerning DBNA (Daimler Bus North America)'s parent within the meaning of the All-Agency Responsibility Guidelines. However, senior management approval is being obtain to continue to do business with DBNA and its affiliates barring any new significant adverse information. The contract will not be issued unless and until such approval is obtained."

This was also stated in a previous Nova contract. Nothing to be worried about though.

"In accordance with Public Authorities Law 1209, paragraph 9, this contract will not be awarded earlier than 30 days from the date on which the authority declares competitive bidding to be impractical or inappropriate."

This is required in order to award a no-bid contract.

On both contracts, this weird sentence document:

"NYCT has a commitment to prioritize NY content in its rolling stock purchases that will be reflected in future procurements for any buses that become qualified. It is our hope and intent that as more companies become qualified there will be more manufacturing jobs in New York State"

2.) Reading the order for parts for the Prevost, it looks like the order is split between NYCT and MTA Bus. Figuring a 45/45 split and the condition of the MCIs on Staten Island, it looks like UP and QV will get no Prevost love this round. More than likely they'll get included in the next round of express bus orders. As far as MTA Bus, I could see Yonkers and Eastchester getting the X3s and shifting some 3000s to SC,CP or even over to SI to push more 18/19/2000s out. If you see any flaws in that, I'd welcome the discussion.

In all 2011 is shaping up to be a exciting year at the (MTA)

The Prevost Parts Award covers parts for the LFS, LFS/A, and X3.

QV wasn't supposed to be getting any Prevost Coaches. Those are for Casleton, and Ulmer. Baisley Park and JFK are set to get LFS/A's.

FP, QV, and UP are all supposed to get new diesels at some point.

Next Up:

Award for 60 Express coaches

Award for 185 Artics

Award for 74 CNG's

Award for 83 CNG's (New Flyer option) on hold.

Possible DesignLine order replacement.

Where did it state on the previous contract? Why did MTA put that sentence to scare Orion off?

The TA stated something similar on the bottom of the contract outlines of the Prevost award. This isn't the first time issues have been addressed with a manufacturer. All it means is that something needs, or needed to be discussed prior to contract award.

It's happened before.

The TA stated something similar on the bottom of the contract outlines of the Prevost award. This isn't the first time issues have been addressed with a manufacturer. All it means is that something needs, or needed to be discussed prior to contract award.

It's happened before.

No, you go back and re-read the Prevost contract again and compare to Orion's contract on the last sentence. That is a big difference.

The (MTA) BT&E Program Overview

Each of the three models in the 40' Bus Test & Evaluation Program will be equipped with EPA 2010 compliant Cummins ISL power plants. Each bus model will be subject to fuel economy and dynamometer tests, as well as specification compliance and performance testing.

Major areas such as fuel economy fleet availability, reliability, maintenance costs, and vendor responsiveness will be monitored for a 12 month period.

The results of the program testing will be incorporated into the evaluation criteria of a future RFP for the upcoming 40 foot diesel bus requirement.

Main categories for the BT&E program include, but are not limited to:

Unit Costs

Performance

Fuel Economy/Emissions

Maintenance/Costs/MDBF

Unscheduled Maintenance

Major Subsystem evaluation

Optional Equipment evaluation

Driver response

Customer response

NY State build content

Novabus LFS $40,454,918 est.

-60 standard configuration($446,000), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Carrier HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

-15 optional configuration($446,809), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Carrier HVAC, electronic cooling system, and LED headlamps.

-15 optional configuration($453,319), Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

-$40,261,830 for 90 buses.

-$67,240 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$45,000 for tailpipe emission profile testing.

-$80,848 for training

*1 pilot received in March 2010, and since retured to Nova. Delivery of all 90 buses expected to begin February 2011, and run through July 2011

*Expected test completion July 2012.

*Fleet 8000-8089

New Flyer D40LFR or XD40 $39,225,880 est.

-75 standard configuration($430,269), Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brakes

-15 optional configuration($446,809),Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, electronic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brakes.

-$38,799,060 for 90 buses.

-$275,000 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$106,820 for training

*2 Pilots set for delivery in July 2011. Delivery of remaining 88 buses expected to begin August 2011, and run through December 2011.

*Expected test completion December 2012.

*Fleet 8100-8189 expected

Orion VII 3G $40,327,525 est.

-75 standard configuration($442,572), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Thermo King HVAC, reciprocating compressor, S-cam brakes

-15 optional configuration($448,750),ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Thermo King HVAC, screw compressor, disk brakes.

-$39,924,150 for 90 buses.

-$287,315 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$71,060 for training

*2 Pilots set for delivery in September 2011. Delivery of remaining 88 buses expected to begin October 2011, and run through December 2011.

*Fleet 8200-8289 expected

45' BT&E Program

Prevost X3-45 $40,327,525 est.

90 standard configuration, VOLVO D13 W/SCR 13L-435 HP, 1650 lb. ft. torque output (2250 NM) at 1100 rpm, Allison World, 4th Generation, 6-Speed Auto. Trans., Carrier HVAC, All-Wheel Disk Brakes with Antilock Braking System (ABS), LED Stop, Tail, Marker Lights & Turn Signals.

-$49,950,946 for 90 buses @ $549,568 each

-$353,880 for structural integrity testing.

-$287,315 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$71,060 for training

*1 bus tested in revenue service June/July 2008. Structural integrity testing scheduled to begin February 2011. Delivery of 1 pilot expected June 2011. Delivery of 89 remaining buses expected to begin October 2011, and run through December 2011.

Note: Final specifications subject to change.

What about the New Flyer C40LFR's that are suppose to go to college pt.

When do those arrive. The Orion CNG's are breaking like crazy.:confused:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=390149&postcount=230

Here we go again. We have some more changes on the horizon!

I previously stated that the MTA would award a contract for 185 articulated buses by August. Then I was told the number increased to 190. Well the latter was incorrect, and the former has changed. Here are the preliminary details I have been given as of today.

90 articulated coaches set for award in April. These are believed to be part of a 60' Bus Test & Evaluation program. I'm being told this could possibly be an order for New Flyer diesel or CNG units.(I will be watching this one very closely!)

328 articulated coached set for award in July. I'm being told this order(which was increased from 185 to 328) will to be going to Nova.

Overall, we will be placing orders for a total 674 Artics, including the above.

As more solid details come in, I will be sure to let you all know!

(MTA)

It would be awesome to see LFR Artics here in the city!

I hope they end up being XC60's!

Do you know whether the remainder of the 674 artics (674-90-328=256) also be ordered this year?

No. Those won't be ordered untill 2012.

Wow, that's some crazy news about the artics. I'm definately going to keep my eyes open to see what happens in this department!

Right! Everything completely changed on me!

This tells me that more routes are going to become Artic routes and that's a great thing cause there are some lines that have truly outgrown the regular 40-footers. The future is looking GREAT! :cool:

MTA is planning to convert some 40 ft to artic in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.... plus the SBS routes.

there is disadvantages... less frequent service, and also cut bus runs and bus stops.... maybe good thing or bad thing, especially for B/Os and the lovely pay increase when driving a artic.

328 articulated coaches set for award in July. I'm being told this order(which was increased from 185 to 328) will to be going to Nova.

I have heard they could be presenting the Nova portion to the board next month. But like your information mine has changed periodically as well, but the latest was it could see the board in March and be for between 60 and 185. I have heard the overall number of 328 before as well. Waiting patiently to see what happens.

I have heard they could be presenting the Nova portion to the board next month. But like your information mine has changed periodically as well, but the latest was it could see the board in March and be for between 60 and 185. I have heard the overall number of 328 before as well. Waiting patiently to see what happens.

The smart thing to do is get 328 Novas right now. Play with the specs on them, and meet capacity demands in the process. If they have to be ordered in installments of 90 or whatever then so be it. We need them now, and the ones we currently have are doing great. Let's get them to Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island STAT!

He might not have influence, but his source sure might!

Correct. At this point in time I prefer to go through my sources. However, I have pitched a few ideas to them directly, and indirectly via this forum at times as well. Most ALL of them have been implemented in some form or fashion. I have been advocating for change in the way DOB does business overall since 2008 officially. The test fleet is something I have wanted since 2007. I also advocated for New Flyer during and after the whole mess at the beginning of the decade. We now have an Xcelsior testing in my borough. C40's, and surprise diesels coming in!

Speaking of which, I have decided to keep a lid on the New Flyer diesel model decision. Unless someone finds out before the pilot arrives, I don't plan on taking the fun out of this one!

I am now advocating for a future fleet that levels the playing field. It's also puts money in all the manufacturers pockets, keeps procurement costs low, raises the bar for bus build bus quality, and keeps a lots of people working. Not only that, but if the TA stuck to this plan, bus swaps between depots could be reduced, thus saving a little fuel. Maintenance tasks and parts inventory could also be streamlined.

New Flyer C40LFR, XC60

New Flyer D40LFR, XD40, XDE40

Nova LFS, LFSA (Diesel & Hybrid)

Orion VII Diesel, CNG, Hybrid

RTS LF Diesel, CNG, Hybrid

If we keep a revolving door of the above buses, everybody wins!

Archived