Rider Catches MTA Booth Worker Snoozing On The Job

Yet another a**hole with a camera looking for a victim.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/123249/rider-catches-mta-booth-worker-snoozing-on-the-job

Questions are being raised after a regular R train rider says he saw a booth worker at the City Hall station last week dozing off one too many times, and snapped a picture to document what looked like a snooze.

"It's terrible. Anything can happen in the subways these days. It's really bad. Sad. If that was me, I'd be fired by now," said one straphanger.

The booth agent, who is a veteran of nearly 20 years with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, now faces an investigation.

In a statement, the agency said, "Such behavior will not be tolerated by MTA New York City Transit and it is deeply disturbing to us that an employee would fall asleep during their assigned shift."

The Transit Workers Union said the station agent in question has a spotless record, adding, "The union has his back...We just want to point out that perception isn't always reality."

As if it's not bad enough that somebody who is supposed to be the eyes and ears of the system appears to be sleeping on the job, what makes this case possibly worse is that he is doing it steps away from a city landmark identified as a potential terror target.

City Hall was where union leaders protested the layoff of more than 200 booth workers. At public hearings, riders joined in warning the cuts would leave them vulnerable. But the sight of a worker looking like he's napping splits New Yorkers who pay fares from those who collect them.

"Makes me angry," said one straphanger. "Right now we have lot of people that are out of work, and who want work, who would do diligent jobs. And we're talking about the subway where we're facing another raise of the fares after we have all the services cut."

When NY1 showed the picture to the booth agent -- who wouldn't give his name -- he denied sleeping and offered a rambling explanation for his slumbering pose.

"I always check money and everything else and look at it carefully, because I've found errors in the money, there are, slightly misprints, what do you call. In fact, I've shown clerks the same, what I've found. And as I've said, I could have been looking at it closely like this," said the booth agent.

In coming days, officials will be looking more closely as well to see if his overnight shift has been on the money.

This story is extremely skewed against the employee. The fact that the news caster said he was "rambling" makes me question how accurate this story really is. Yes, no one likes to see someone sleep on the job, but I can honestly see where he would be counting money in that pose.

Plus it's a overnight shift. Yes City Hall is a potential terrorist target, but statistically speaking most terrorist attacks happen during the day, when there's a lot more people around so lets not play that bullshit game.

I know I took the side of the photographer in the last story (bus driver texting), but I'm calling shens on this dude!

This story is extremely skewed against the employee. The fact that the news caster said he was "rambling" makes me question how accurate this story really is. Yes, no one likes to see someone sleep on the job, but I can honestly see where he would be counting money in that pose.

I'm not going to pass judgement on this, but the S/A's response was recorded and put in the story, and it certainly is quite confusing and can objectively be called "rambling." I understand his general point is that he might have been looking closely at money, but he seems very nervous and stutters a lot, which is not going to help his case. He should have just said "no comment" and left it to the union.

or how about lets run to NY1 and get my payoff for producing the story aka the guy who ran to the Daily News about the kid in the T/O cab awhile back.

Yeah who is looking at a Lawsuit for lying about the kid operating, that clown vanished off the radar quick...

Yeah who is looking at a Lawsuit for lying about the kid operating, that clown vanished off the radar quick...

Yeah and I'm glad for it, I hope that guy loses bigtime for what he did and has to pay up for that T/O. He was a lawyer too I'm sure he can afford it.

Wtfing hell. These people must be bored or something.

they are not bored. they want those jobs. a lot hungry people out there are on the lists for the (MTA). in their mind if they can get someone kicked out, then they think they have a shot at being called.

Yet another person with no life and don't get any at home wants to pick on people that work for thier money and sure they might be jealous but it's sad when the public wants to snap pics then make A big cluster fc out of it all knowing they could of kept it moving but I get it why people do such things , They probably get smacked up at home and figure hmmm I'm gonna get evencause I have no life . This is why the way I treat people the way I do is solely based on people acting Retarted so By all means let's play this Game public cuz if I'm gonna lose your comming with me .

I'm not going to pass judgement on this, but the S/A's response was recorded and put in the story, and it certainly is quite confusing and can objectively be called "rambling." I understand his general point is that he might have been looking closely at money, but he seems very nervous and stutters a lot, which is not going to help his case. He should have just said "no comment" and left it to the union.

Yea he should have just refused to comment all together. I wouldn't have even let them film me if I were in his position.

Either way I'm calling shens.

they are not bored. they want those jobs. a lot hungry people out there are on the lists for the (MTA). in their mind if they can get someone kicked out, then they think they have a shot at being called.

What they don't know is that the (MTA) is known for screwing people over, so if that's his motive then hopefully he remembers the age old mantra; last hired, first fired!

No I'm not talking about the T/A workers. I'm talking about the people who wrote this article and the people who reported the worker.

i saw a woman snap a picture on her phone of an empty SA booth (the SA stepped out to take a comfort apparently because she returned a couple minutes later) to justify jumping the turnstile. the booth was unattended for not even two minutes before someone snapped a picture and this was late at night. right or wrong... THIS is the world we live in now.

MTA posts it everywhere: You see something wrong, go to the (MTA) IG. You don't see stories in the press about someone going on FaceBook at their workdesk. If it was a citywide problem of corrupted S/As breaking all kinds of laws at night, then that might merit a story in the paper. Someone wanted their 15 minutes of fame in my opinion. Anything having to do with the (MTA) gets blown out of proportion, usually in the negative sense.

Graveyard shift is brutal.

I just watched the report and it bothered me. To me, it screams which hunt. In the pic, it doesn't appear that his head is leaning on anything. It looks like he really might be looking for the money I believe he was talking about here. It just doesn't add up to me.

Yet another member of the public who never worked overnights. If you are new you get stuck on shifts nobody else wants. Luckily for me I have no problem being up all night but I can understand someone having trouble adjusting to being awake during what most people call sleeping hours. Pete Donahue has nothing on us with his 9 to 5 job,transit is 24-7.

I know that guy, I just gave him lunch the other day when I was doing overtime. I see it looks like he's sleeping in this picture but I can't say I think it's a regular thing for him. When I came to the booth to give him lunch it was like 3:30am and he was wide awake, In fact when I came to give him lunch he just went to the bathroom and came right back in 5 minutes. Plus there is a hearing office for stations employees right behind that booth with a superintendent inside 24 hours a day. So I'm not going to be quick to burn this guy at the stake. And the MTA doesn't need this story for fuel to lay people off, I have a perfect sick record 70 percentile level and no customer complaints or write ups. Yet within 2 weeks I will be laid off. That guy has 28 years on the job and will only get a re-instruction for the incident and maybe some days in the street.

Archived