Good they're finally going after these a-holes

SubwayGuy

Good I'm sick of these a**holes thinking they're above the law. charge the shit out of them because they're dangerous, they don't follow any traffic laws except the ones in their own heads, and they go areas that are clearly marked no bicycles.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/16/bike-bedlam-nypd-goes-after-bad-bicyclists/

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — You’ve seen them whizzing by, taking over the roads and the sidewalks, some of them even steering around traffic laws and terrorizing pedestrians: Bicyclists going rogue.

But not for long, as the NYPD is now cracking down on these bad bicyclists.

As New York City goes green, the city has seen an influx of those who choose a bicycle as their mode of transportation. While it may be good for the environment, it’s not so for New York City residents. Between relatively new bikers who don’t know the rules and experienced riders who just flagrantly ignore them, biking has become the number one quality of life concern in some parts of New York City.

“You do think you can go as quick as possible on a bike in New York City,” said Lower East Side resident Nitin Rai. “You can just weave through the traffic and zip around.”

Between July and August, the city issued 360 summonses – over 100 more than the month before – for reckless offenses from nearly mowing down pedestrians, to blowing off traffic signals.

“I think it’s very dangerous,” said Mamadou Ndiaya, who works in Manhattan. “I see them, almost every day, knockouts.”

Despite efforts by police to go tough on wild bikers, some residents say it’s not enough.

“I make a wrong turn [in a car] and I get a $90 ticket and points on my license,” said resident Kate Halpern. “Nothing’s happening to these guys.”

Trina Tuxen says she is a responsible biker, and rides into Manhatten every day from Williamsburg. But she does admit she’s never bothered to learn the rules of the road.

“I look at the other bicyclists,” she said. “And do whatever they do.”

Roughly 14 miles of Manhattan have designated bike lanes, but even on streets where they are clearly marked, bikers don’t always use them.

Police now warn that those who ignore the laws will pay the price.

Okay what about places that don't have bike lanes?

Then they ride on the road and they follow the rules of the road. If I had a nickel for every time a bike ran a red light and almost hit someone who was crossing the street and had the right of way with a walk sign, I wouldn't need to work a day in my life.

after the last incident I had w/ a bicyclist (that guy better hope I don't see him again... f**ker took a swipe at me, grazed my back, and started talking shit while still riding off... over on bleecker/lafayette), my tolerance level has plummeted to zero... I'm not talking it just to talk it on here either.... just like a p***y to take a swipe @ someone, talk shit while riding the f**k off....

It's to the point where if a bicyclist puts his hands on me again, I'm going to end up in someone's holding cell & my clean (police) record will be tarnished... call it what you will....

Too many times this year (3 last week, alone) I've had near collisions, or minor collisions w/ these bicyclists thinking their f***in speed racer, oblivious to anything around them, zooming through red lights, not giving two flying f**ks about pedestrians...

and worse, to hell with the bike lanes, man... some these a**holes is goin all out - on sidewalks; from the restaurant delivery guys to the bike messengers... and look at you like YOU'RE in the wrong for walkin on the goddamn sidewalk... Those ones I stand there & wait for them to say something to me...

See, in midtown manhattan, you have the yellow cabs (and the pedicabs... they ride like stark-raven loons too... I see how they cut buses off whenever I'm over on 6th av).... In lower manhattan, I gotta say, bicyclists have surpassed yellow cabs as the most reckless riders in the city....

- yeah, I'm past livid, if y'all can't tell, about this issue...

- I'm not optimistic that anything will happen as far as fining them...

- If motorcycles & moped's have to follow traffic rules & regs, so should bicyclists... the rule should be lifted from any motorized vehicle - to anything ON WHEELS navigating on NYC streets (yes, this includes scooters too.. for all I care, throw shopping carts & baby carriages in this discussion), as having to follow traffic signs & signals....

...and any bicyclist/scooter rider callin themselves tryna beat the system by riding on the sidewalk would be immediately thrown in jail for reckless endangerment - just as if a motor vehicle started driving a car on the damn sidewalk....

I apologize for the language btw....

After all most being hit a dozen or more times and being hit once in nyc by a car, i think the cars are far more dangerous. I bike in traffic here in my town, i follow traffic laws, yet people still think it's ok to speed around me when i'm going 25-30 mph in a 25 zone etc. Also, i think getting a license should require more than a 2 minute little course and parking. Always i'm seeing drivers putting others at risk, never once saw a dangerous biker, ever.

- A

After all most being hit a dozen or more times and being hit once in nyc by a car, i think the cars are far more dangerous. I bike in traffic here in my town, i follow traffic laws, yet people still think it's ok to speed around me when i'm going 25-30 mph in a 25 zone etc. Also, i think getting a license should require more than a 2 minute little course and parking. Always i'm seeing drivers putting others at risk, never once saw a dangerous biker, ever.

- A

"never once saw a dangerous biker, ever."

What is the population of Newton,PA? 5,000? Why don't you ride your bike in Manhattan and then tell me the results?

The cyclists who annoy me the most are the ones who wear

the full racing gear and feel like they can do whatever they want.

- A

I'm not going to lie, the cars here are crazy. I've seen taxi drivers cut off police cars like it was no problem. At the same time, the bicyclist are reckless too. If I'm going southbound on 2nd Avenue, I don't need to see something coming at me Northbound. And if I'm on the sidewalk, I shouldn't have to worry about being hit from behind by some a**hole bicyclist. Plus the city gave them their lanes to play in. Use it!

"never once saw a dangerous biker, ever."

What is the population of Newton,PA? 5,000? Why don't you ride your bike in Manhattan and then tell me the results?

The cyclists who annoy me the most are the ones who wear

the full racing gear and feel like they can do whatever they want.

Yeah they're super cyclists all right, right down to the part where they go around 100 miles and hour screaming in a steroid rage.

- A

Do you ever open your eyes when your in the city? If you did, you would see that bikes are just as, if not more of a danger then cars. Bikers think they are above the law and I am glad there slowly being put back in their place.

- A

If you're honest with yourself, you will change your tune when you see, first-hand, how erratic bicyclists are in New York City, New York... this isn't a non issue... it's high time these sons of b****es get SOME type of punishment for their inconsiderate riding habits on the road..... this is why I dont feel for them when they DO get into serious accidents, w/o wearing a helmet, to boot... which is another thing....

never saw a dangerous biker, yeah, maybe in Newtown, pal.....

All the DOT cares about anymore is putting in those stupid bike lanes. Plus, many of the idiotic lanes are in the rightmost part of the street, which makes it very dangerous to try to make a right turn without smashing into some idiot biker without a helmet or lights.

I especially love the ones that wear black racing gear after sunset.

All the DOT cares about anymore is putting in those stupid bike lanes. Plus, many of the idiotic lanes are in the rightmost part of the street, which makes it very dangerous to try to make a right turn without smashing into some idiot biker without a helmet or lights.

thats why we need to limit the liability for motorists who hit bikes that arent obeying traffic laws as well as jaywalkers

Prospect Park West? :mad:

speaking of this I almost got cut off by some a**hole on a bike tonight, and so did 4 other people. should have popped his f**king tires or thrown a rock at him. middle of midtown during pm rush and he's running a god damn light like a short 70 year old lady who can't see over the steering wheel of an f-350.

Kids on their bike,scooter and skateboard are the most dangerous out in Brooklyn.They love to speed on the sidewalk like they're in some race and the kids expect me move out their way....they don't even try to slow down like they don't see me walking on the sidewalk....Then you have the kids on my block playing with their skateboard in the street while cars,buses and trucks are coming at them.They have to slow down and wait for them to move out there way...they should go to the park since it's near by.

I hope LRG doesn't do all those things I've talk about,it will make you a big hazard out there.

- A

You're kiddin me dude. I always have some sort of warning when it comes to cars. I never see a cyclist coming. They can come at you from any direction from any blindside corner or even bolt out at you from congested traffic. I've actually been hit by a car and I think the cyclists are more dangerous. I bet if you actually lived in NYC you might actually know what you're talking about. NJ/PA are not NYC.

as a pedestrian, I've been hit by a truck, 2 buses, a yellow cab, and 6 bikers (4 of which, involved mr. speed racer flying down the damn sidewalk)....

- I have a lingering (guess chronic is the word) toe injury from the first incident w/ the bus that ran over my big toe....

(to this day, I don't stand near as close to the curb when I'm waiting to cross the street... I wasn't all that angry when it happened though.... the b/o was apologetic, and a big a deal wasn't made of it outside of that... accidents happen, I get that...)

- The guy that hit me w/ the truck, was my fault (jaywalking)... luckily, I left that accident w/ only abrasions on my extremities... also luckily, he wasn't driving that fast....

- The lady that hit me w/ the bus almost killed me (this was the 2nd bus that I got hit by)... this lady made a hard right turn at a fairly high rate of speed (she ran a red light, from what I was later told... thanks to peripheral vision, I jumped in the air & bounced off the bus to minimize the damage... I landed hard on the sidewalk as a result... to this day, I have discomfort in my left shoulder.... the other guy she hit, wasn't so lucky (he was a few inches behind me as we were crossing the street)... I mean both of us had to go to the hospital, but dude ended up w/ a broken leg & other injuries I don't remember....

Bikers in NYC (especially) have what you'd call tunnel vision...

They're solely focused on what's in front of them, w/e lies between their left handlebar & right handlebar.... going faster than what they really should be (IMO), to boot.... If they get caught looking too far left or too far right, chances are they're gonna hit something on the opposite side of which they're looking, or end up falling off the bike, due to a loss of (sense of) balance.....

I speak from experience.... This is why I say these new age bikers (or whatever you wanna call them) are far worse... No one can't convince me that these bikers here in NYC follow traffic rules & regs, and are the safest, alert, keen, defensive riding characters on the face of the earth...

Archived