Investigation over dirty cars in NYC Subway.

Queens Surface

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Perhaps you have noticed the subway cars have been dirtier lately. Eyewitness News had been told, it is because of budget cuts and workers laid-off. However, our undercover cameras found another problem: from the #4 Line in the Bronx, to the N Line in Queens, to the L in Brooklyn, we found subway cleaners more interested in reading the newspaper, chatting with fellow workers or texting on the phone than doing their jobs. Jobs for which are paid $23 an hour.

At the end of the D-line in the Bronx, cars come all the way from Coney Island and are in need of serious cleaning. There is trash and spilled soda, shoe-sticking filth, yet Eyewitness News observed a team of four cleaners one afternoon and found most of them doing very little. A lot of them stand around talking to each other or to the engineer, while one worker cleans a car or two on each train. It meant the majority of train cars on the D-Line would head back out, having to never been cleaned.

We found similar examples on the 4-Line, where it seems for some cleaners, reading takes priority. One worker sits in the air-conditioned car reading for about 6 minutes before getting up and leaving. The car left exactly how it arrived with papers on the seat, trash on the floor, and mud and dirt by the door.

"This is the last stop on this train"

We found one worker relaxing on the L line and we asked him about his workload:

Hoffer: How many cars do you guys have to clean?

Worker: Let's say like this, four of us, two each.

Hoffer: That's just two cars per cleaner per train.

Worker: Some people just slacks off.

Read More & For Video: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/investigators&id=7694670

Yea the people at 205th are lazy but they can't really clean anyway b\c the train has to relay then come back sits for a few min then goes 2 Bedford Pk and sits another few mins.But I volunteer at Woodlawn since it's my home line and I love those trains so I take care of those and help workers.

This is not the (MTA)s fault. I see station cleaners at terminals around the clock cleaning there cars. Its the PEOPLE in this damn city to blame for littering. I bet the people who are complaining to the media are the same people who litter themselves..

This is not the (MTA)s fault. I see station cleaners at terminals around the clock cleaning there cars. Its the PEOPLE in this damn city to blame for littering. I bet the people who are complaining to the media are the same people who litter themselves..

IAWTP!! Sometimes there isn't enough time to clean the trains.

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Perhaps you have noticed the subway cars have been dirtier lately. Eyewitness News had been told, it is because of budget cuts and workers laid-off. However, our undercover cameras found another problem: from the #4 Line in the Bronx, to the N Line in Queens, to the L in Brooklyn, we found subway cleaners more interested in reading the newspaper, chatting with fellow workers or texting on the phone than doing their jobs. Jobs for which are paid $23 an hour.

Read More & For Video:[/b] http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/investigators&id=7694670

Some of the workers might be lazy because they know they're about to be laid off due to budget cuts. Would you give 100% at your job if you knew you were about to be laid off?

Plus, the news media never gets mad at the nasty ass riders who put "trash and spilled soda, shoe-sticking filth, papers on the seat, trash on the floor, and mud and dirt by the door."

I would give 100%, becuase that might lead to me NOT getting a pink slip. A normal boss fires the lazy ones and keeps the honest, hard workers. Survival of the fitest.

I'm not saying "if you have a feeling you might get fired." I mean "its' not if youre going to get fired but WHEN." Regardless of job performance but due to seniority.

Thomas Prendergast looked pissed at the end. Clearly something needs to be done. Kamen nailed it; you have a job to do, do it! It's not like these guys are working for peanuts. The "shoe-sticking" crap on that NTT in the beginning is just embarrassing. Clean that stuff up!

It would be nice if riders were more considerate, but with a system that transports of over 6 million riders a week, that's impossible.

i think it varies by what type of passengers a train line serves. For Example; the (J) line Versus the (E) the (J) is dirtier because of the neighborhoods it serves and how considerate the passengers are. while the (E) serves wealthy neigborhoods, and people are most of the time considerate in terms of littering. a little off topic, but the cleaning has improved on the (J)....for starters, the cleaning crew cleaned most of the (interior) doors on the cars.

i think it varies by what type of passengers a train line serves. For Example; the (J) line Versus the (E) the (J) is dirtier because of the neighborhoods it serves and how considerate the passengers are. while the (E) serves wealthy neigborhoods, and people are most of the time considerate in terms of littering. a little off topic, but the cleaning has improved on the (J)....for starters, the cleaning crew cleaned most of the (interior) doors on the cars.

Take it from a person who has to access Jamaica Center everyday to go to school, I could take the (E) or (J), I can tell you that they do a better job on the (J) probably because it doesn't leave as frequent as the (E). But the (J) would be even more dirtier during skip stop rush hours and during the winter season

I was once on an F train that it was impossible to not step on garbage in the car I was in. I guess I should have taken the V that came before it. I didn't though, because it's a local along Queens Boulevard.

you really cant mount a defense for them..pretty much inexcusable...........

now in their defense, there might be 2 cleaners,3 cleaners for a 8-10 car train.....now if that train is late, it has to go back out......when that train comes in, you may have a 6-7 minute window to clean the cars..but again, pretty much inexcusable...........

Thats funny when i worked over there I saw some trains being cleaned and mopped........Pple cant wait 2 mins for someone to go in there......once the train clears out...pple rush in.....i think its part the cleaners fault, part scheduling, and part the publics fault..........pple are soo fukin nasty....i saw a guy today get up and leave his soda can on the seat......he went back and took it with him b4 he got off....and i said to myself...well if everyone did that the trains wouldnt be soo dirty.....but the cleaners i used to see at South ferry looked like they did shit. Like i said i think everyone is part to blame

There's no defense for people not doing his/her job. If they pay you to clean cars you don't text, read papers, or socialize, period. That being said New York subway and bus riders are among the nastiest people in the transit systems in the U.S. that I've seen or read about. Half eaten bagels, breakfast and lunch sandwiches, coffee cups, soda and beer cans, urine and feces in the cars and platforms. None of this grows on the system. It's put there by nasty riders. IMO if you want a cleaner system ban all foodstuff from the system like other cities do. Fine violators $250 for a first offense and double it with community service for repeat offenders. Then watch how fast these nasty people learn to change that nasty behavior. Why anyone would eat a meal in an atmosphere that's only slightly cleaner than a public restroom never ceases to amaze me. Ride a NTT someday and look up at the vents in the roof of the car. Better still, run a swiffer cloth along those vents.Then think about what you've ingested. I'd bet that most riders have never thought about the atmosphere on a train but most workers know that if you wear a white paper mask over your nose it will be filthy by days end. To eat or drink something ranks high on the stupidity index IMO.

Archived