Do any NYCT Manhattan local bus routes go to/from New Jersey via the George Washington Bridge?

Or have any in the past?

If no, any plans to do so in the future?

Santa Fe while it's ok to ask questions whatever you want being on these boards, such as this one, if you can a question like the one here, go to this website if you have not already and look under maps. It should answer many of the questions and avoiding asking tons of service routing issues. Trying to offer helpful advice and not meant to be rude.

http://WWW.MTA.INFO and click link for maps/schedules. I go there all the time myself.

IMO the only NYCT Bus that could be ever extend in future across the GW Bridge is the BX13 but only to the Ft. Lee area.

To go further into Bergen County NJ such as Garden State/Paramus, etc. and some service to Rockland County, NY use (NJT) or Coach USA's "Rockland/Red and Tan' lines.

No & no.

Only city bus that goes to New Jersey is S89 Bus operated by (NYCT). S89 Buses got USDOT and which serves (NJT)'s 34th St Hudson-Bergen Lightrail Station in Bayonne, NJ.

Most express buses travel on New Jersey Turnpike using Lincoln Tunnel and Goethals Bridge including Atlantic Express enroute to/from Manhattan & Staten Island.

Santa Fe while it's ok to ask questions whatever you want being on these boards, such as this one, if you can a question like the one here, go to this website if you have not already and look under maps. It should answer many of the questions and avoiding asking tons of service routing issues. Trying to offer helpful advice and not meant to be rude.

http://WWW.MTA.INFO and click link for maps/schedules. I go there all the time myself.

IMO the only NYCT Bus that could be ever extend in future across the GW Bridge is the BX13 but only to the Ft. Lee area.

To go further into Bergen County NJ such as Garden State/Paramus, etc. and some service to Rockland County, NY use (NJT) or Coach USA's "Rockland/Red and Tan' lines.

That would be :cool:

Believe me, with the GWB's ever present traffic and horrible approaches, no MTA bus operator would want to cross that thing, even in their own car.

Might BRT &/or bus only lanes work on the GWB?

Maybe in the future the GWB will have rail &/or trolley lines on it?

(NJT)'s 159 sounds like a :cool: route.

Instead of starting a new thread I should've posted my OP as a reply to the thread titled Manhattan/General Bus ideas.

Is it too late to merge my thread with that one?

Only city bus that goes to New Jersey is S89 Bus operated by (NYCT). S89 Buses got USDOT and which serves (NJT)'s 34th St Hudson-Bergen Lightrail Station in Bayonne, NJ.

Most express buses travel on New Jersey Turnpike using Lincoln Tunnel and Goethals Bridge including Atlantic Express enroute to/from Manhattan & Staten Island.

S89 doesn't go over the GWB.

Might BRT &/or bus only lanes work on the GWB?

Maybe in the future the GWB will have rail &/or trolley lines on it?

(NJT)'s 159 sounds like a :cool: route.

Instead of starting a new thread I should've posted my OP as a reply to the thread titled Manhattan/General Bus ideas.

Is it too late to merge my thread with that one?

bus only lane on a bridge? not in this lifetime...

yeah, the 159 is that route.

I wouldn't want the Bx13 extended into NJ anyway...

...and regular members can't merge their own threads.... but it's not too late to ask if you want your thread merged..... the mods can perform that task for ya... however, it's up to their discretion if they feel it's worth it, or not....

S89 doesn't go over the GWB.

bus only lane on a bridge? not in this lifetime...

yeah, the 159 is that route.

I wouldn't want the Bx13 extended into NJ anyway...

...and regular members can't merge their own threads.... but it's not too late to ask if you want your thread merged..... the mods can perform that task for ya... however, it's up to their discretion if they feel it's worth it, or not....

I know S89 doesn't go via GWB.

I don't think the MTA would do that. It is an extra 7 miles of distance to cover, and there just isn't enough demand to Upper Manhattan to justify running buses there, when you consider that it is a simple transfer to the (A) train in Midtown (which is an important business center by itself)

Besides, the point would be to have an NYCT route connect with New Jersey, which the express route wouldn't do.

Ok.

You said the 159 is heavily utilized. Yes, it quite is, once it gets moving down Anderson.

You conveniently left out the part where I said "nope, none" in the rest of that quote - which was my answer the question in the thread title that was asked....

Yes, I brought up the 159... Not to have other people construe that it crosses the GWB...

My point was, since there is no MTA route that crosses the GWB, people in Washington Heights make that commute to PABT for the 159... that's a popular route riders take to/from jersey in that neighborhood - even though there are a number of NJT routes that take the GWB..... and for the love of god, please don't take that to mean most of the 159's riders emanate from washington hgts.....

I'll take your word for it, as to what goes down on the route on the NJ side.

You conveniently left out the part where I said "nope, none" in the rest of that quote - which was my answer the question in the thread title that was asked....

Yes, I brought up the 159... Not to have other people construe that it crosses the GWB...

My point was, since there is no MTA route that crosses the GWB, people in Washington Heights make that commute to PABT for the 159... that's a popular route riders take to/from jersey in that neighborhood - even though there are a number of NJT routes that take the GWB..... and for the love of god, please don't take that to mean most of the 159's riders emanate from washington hgts.....

I'll take your word for it, as to what goes down on the route on the NJ side.

Ah ok, I see what you were saying then.

In addition to (NJT)'s 159 route (Fort Lee to PABT), (NJT)'s 181 route runs via the George Washington Bridge connecting the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal with HBLR's Bergenline Avenue station in Union City.

Along the way, the (NJT) 181 passes through Union City, West New York, Guttenberg, North Bergen, Fairview, Cliffside Park, and Fort Lee.

You could take the (NJT) 181 from the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal to Fairview and Anderson Avenues, transfer to the (NJT) 159 to PABT then take the (A) to 175th Street. Along the way, you'll cross the George Washington Bridge and travel through the Lincoln Tunnel.

On a side note: the S89 is the first, and only bus route to run from New York City to New Jersey and it makes only one stop: East 34th Street HBLR.

Some New York City bus routes do get a short distance into Westchester and Nassau Counties.

In addition to (NJT)'s 159 route (Fort Lee to PABT), (NJT)'s 181 route runs via the George Washington Bridge connecting the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal with HBLR's Bergenline Avenue station in Union City.

Along the way, the (NJT) 181 passes through Union City, West New York, Guttenberg, North Bergen, Fairview, Cliffside Park, and Fort Lee.

You could take the (NJT) 181 from the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal to Fairview and Anderson Avenues, transfer to the (NJT) 159 to PABT then take the (A) to 175th Street. Along the way, you'll cross the George Washington Bridge and travel through the Lincoln Tunnel.

On a side note: the S89 is the first, and only bus route to run from New York City to New Jersey and it makes only one stop: East 34th Street HBLR.

Some New York City bus routes do get a short distance into Westchester and Nassau Counties.

They decimated the 181s' schedule. It barely runs outside of R/H anymore.

Archived