Attention all previous straphanger members!!!!

R32 3352

Attention all straphanger forum members!!!! Please return to the site and look at my most recent post in the mezzanine. This i extremely urgent. Please respond on that forum!!!!!!!

I responded. It's not the response you wanted to hear, but it was a candid response:

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/topics/499564/Re_This_Is_Becoming_A_Huge_Pro#Post499564

Viva la NYCTF !!!!

We should all thank Harry - for singlehandedly siphoning members from RD, here.

I think I speak for many when I say... I aint lookin back !

You pass the dutchie 'pon di left hand side, not the right.....

as for your outcry, nothin personal fam, but....

No sympathy on my end.....

For those that this message applies, say I...

Viva la NYCTF !!!!

I....

Viva la NYCTF !!!!

Still, Straphangers was my first transit website. I remember seeing an ad for Straphangers on the (F) train back in 2000. I accidentally stumbled upon the Rider's Diaries section of the site. I officially became a member on July 27, 2002. I still remember guys like Union Square, GreatOne, Phil D. (not the one who stole the train), Uptown, and MoonMan. I've had my share of flame wars with those guys but it was nothing like the vitriol I encountered at Subchat. The guys at strappies were close. We went railfanning and we even played softball.

One of the worst mistakes was joinning Subchat. Weinberg and his stooges (Oren, Will D) are among the most pompous and haughty people. Weinberg gets a sadistic pleasure out of flaming people. The only reason I joined was because Straphangers was becoming irrelevant. After 6 years of abuse at Subchat, I finally called it quits after the October 17th slugfest with Weinberg.

As for NYCTF, I've had bad days here. I said stupid things. I pissed off Harry on more than one occassion. Still, NYCTF is the closest thing to the camaraderie I've had at Straphangers.

RD died in early 2005, the day four of us, myself included. were banned for trying to put king of the Trolls "Subway Camper" in his place, something "Comrade Belmont" refused to do. That lead to the exodus to Subchat and Transitspot. RD has been a husk ever since.

that's the name of the board I was trying to remember... transitspot.

Anyway, I didn't wanna do this, but out of boredom right now, I'll break my silence.

I got banned, due to some random SF Giants fan (how ironic that they win the WS 2 yrs later right) caught feelings in a series of posts I made about how bad the franchise is.... one of which did feature vulgar language... but what got me is, my language was never a problem up until that point.... no prior warning or nothin...

Not even a regular member, but a goddamn spammer reported my post & I got banned temporarily for it...

hiro nakamura (an admin there) is another reason I left that place, this guy came out of the woodwork trying to singlehandedly restore order..., after the number of mods there that even stopped posting there... One of those dudes that makes out like he's so modest on the surface, but behind the scenes, whole different story... hate people like that...

I mean wtf, when you have guys like B13 spring crk gateway mall, moonman, & chemmy (who herself even admitted that she didn't know why she was still mod, after all that time not even posting), as mods after a full year (and then some) of not rearing their heads on the forum, that says a lot... Nothin against any of them; I thought B13 & Moonman were cool ppl...

Only two mods off top that tried mad hard to keep people active, was Roku & Q89 local... EE broadway local became mod afterwards, when my interest level w/ RD was almost zero.... They added those 3 guys b/c members actually started complaining about the lack of moderation about the place.... but get this - B13 & Chemmy are still designated as mods ! Wouldn't you think that defeats the point of appointing NEW mods.... Hate to say this (well, not really), but... when they added mods, it was too little, too late... the activity was rapidly declining there - it's like inheriting a flophouse & trying to turn it into the freakin taj mahal - it aint happenin...

Maybe it's just me, I dunno....

I tried going back here & there, but w/ the way hiro was running things there, I couldn't see myself posting meaningfully there again.... I believe the term is "forum nazi" to describe those type of admins.... and when I get 4 people (won't say who) PM-ing me there stating their disdain of the guy before I left, it tells me that it's not just me..

Looking at the last post dates in their forum list, and having been a worthwhile member for a couple years, the downfall of that forum was inevitable.... After having defended the stigma that (still) plagues that place, as being a haven for foamers, it's like a stab in the back to have driven away your top posters/contributors on a forum....

Yeah, it was my first transit forum I joined also.... but 5-6 years after the fact, I say Good freakin Riddance.

- fin.

Still, Straphangers was my first transit website. I remember seeing an ad for Straphangers on the (F) train back in 2000. I accidentally stumbled upon the Rider's Diaries section of the site. I officially became a member on July 27, 2002. I still remember guys like Union Square, GreatOne, Phil D. (not the one who stole the train), Uptown, and MoonMan. I've had my share of flame wars with those guys but it was nothing like the vitriol I encountered at Subchat. The guys at strappies were close. We went railfanning and we even played softball.

One of the worst mistakes was joinning Subchat. Weinberg and his stooges (Oren, Will D) are among the most pompous and haughty people. Weinberg gets a sadistic pleasure out of flaming people. The only reason I joined was because Straphangers was becoming irrelevant. After 6 years of abuse at Subchat, I finally called it quits after the October 17th slugfest with Weinberg.

As for NYCTF, I've had bad days here. I said stupid things. I pissed off Harry on more than one occassion. Still, NYCTF is the closest thing to the camaraderie I've had at Straphangers.

Yeah, but you continually bring things onto yourself though.

Difference between me & you is that, I don't go back to contributing to a place where I feel like I been wronged, especially to the tune that you have.... The numerous negative occurrences that you've had on subchat (whether if you "started it" or not), and yet you keep going back....

Sorry, I'm not gonna speak on, in an attempt to defend that....

Chemmy doesn't even live in NYC anymore. I'm sorry you were banned. Sometimes your choice of vernacular is questionable, but you didn't deserve that.

As for Subchat, it's like an abusive relationship. You want to walk away, but you hope things will get better. There's also something that keeps you coming back. In the case of Subchat, it was information about new cars, museum trips, and pictures of subway systems in other states and countries. If you sift out all of Weinberg's excrement then it's actually a good site. The problem is that Weinberg is hell bent on causing misery. It's gotten to the point where if I see Weinberg on the street, I'll get arrested for assault. I swear on my grandmother's grave that I'm done with Subchat. I don't need the stress.

Maybe due to the fact that I joined as everybody else was leaving (I joined on 12/17/09) but I didn't really have a problem with the members of the site.

I looked back in the threads and in 2005, I saw a several threads consisting entirely of flame wars and people saying farewells, and, as other posters have stated, that was when activity started to decline.

As far as I'm concerned, when I joined, there was still a lot of activity going on on the site, but around April 2010, I noticed a significant decline in the number of posts-I didn't see any large flame wars or instances of members getting banned-activity just seemed to drop (probably because that was the end of the discussions about the service reductions).

I respect everybody's decision who will never go back to Strappies, but I'll be sticking around until the very end, which (sadly) I suspect will be fairly soon.

Straphangers was my first forum too; I discovered that site in late 2006 and became a member in March 2007. Then, around November, Zach (Brighton Local), also a poster at that site, invited me over here and I loved it. My interest with Straphangers has waned since, as has the level of activity, and now I don't even post there aside from posting photos and updates to the train arrival time boards.

Technically, Straphangers didn't have a chance since most of the members went to Subchat and other forums (some of which closed down) in 2004, and the mass exodus caused everyone to have the same stigma of the place as much as 6 years after it even happened. Also, size-wise, NYCTF is the largest forum, and aside from smaller forums others here have made, the only real competition with NYCTF is Subchat (which has a different member-base). Rider Diaries is only a forum meant for commuters who stumble upon the site to post things they find wrong with their commute, and never post again. This forum is for people who actually have an interest for global transit, which sets it apart from other forums.

As for Subchat, it's like an abusive relationship. You want to walk away, but you hope things will get better. There's also something that keeps you coming back. In the case of Subchat, it was information about new cars, museum trips, and pictures of subway systems in other states and countries. If you sift out all of Weinberg's excrement then it's actually a good site. The problem is that Weinberg is hell bent on causing misery. It's gotten to the point where if I see Weinberg on the street, I'll get arrested for assault. I swear on my grandmother's grave that I'm done with Subchat. I don't need the stress.

The one thing you have to realize is that Weinberg does this to you, and to everyone else on the board on purpose. The reason he acts so innocent in real life is because he is a troll on the internet. That means that he just starts shit online without any real motive except to piss people off. He doesn't really hate you, in fact I highly doubt he cares about anyone he makes fun of. The only reason he always attacks you is because he knows you will always respond and give him more stuff to piss you off with. If you posted at Subchat and didn't click a single post he made then he would eventually stop. Especially keep in mind that he doesn't even have any real beef with you at all, he's just trying to start shit. This goes for anyone else who goes on continuous flame wars with that guy as well.

Also, I'm not trying to point out particular flaws with you or anything. Take this post as a suggestion and act on it next time you see one of his replies to your posts. Just don't click on it.

Attention all straphanger forum members!!!! Please return to the site and look at my most recent post in the mezzanine. This i extremely urgent. Please respond on that forum!!!!!!!

For future reference, the next time you make a post like this, you might want to quote your post here. Many of our members do not frequent that site, and would not be likely so see your post over there. I for one have never even been over there.

I have seen where this thread has gone in the last 4 hours. What everyone is really saying is that straphangers is a lost cause and it should just be left alone to flounder and soon die out. I agree with this point of view...

My job is to make sure that NYCTF remains the premiere source for all things transit, especially when it comes to the MTA. The only other site I am a member of is ttmg.org because they have some good reliable information, and the picture gallery is top notch. I was a member of Subchat as well at one point in time, but I forgot my handle over 2 years ago, and I haven't even bothered to try and find out what it is. I would probably have been a regular poster over there if the atmosphere wasn't so negative at times. But It's all good. It gives me time to stay exclusive to NYCTF, and still maintain a personal life.

I can't take how the xxxChat site is organized.

I'm sure it's cliche throughout this community, of those of us that aren't members there...

but speaking for myself right now, that's the reason I never bothered to become a member... I lurk there sometimes, and while it's simple to put the forum layout on compressed mode (or w/e the exact terminology is; don't remember right this second), it makes it much easier to read all the posts in a thread....

what I cant fathom, or imagine me doing is, replying to separate posts w/i a thread, in separate posts of my own... guess it's one of those things that you have to get used to... iono...

My job is to make sure that NYCTF remains the premiere source for all things transit, especially when it comes to the MTA.

I'm glad you came out & said that....

b/c that type of general uplifting attitude, in the 4+ years I was active on RD, was NEVER present amongst the mods.

I think it's safe to say this, at least, has been a bad week for Rider Diaries. As of 4:24pm, there've been seven (7) posts and essentially four of them have been useless since Halloween. That would average out to a single post per day except that one (1) post occurred on November 2d, and four (4) of the posts occurred today by the O.P. of this thread here at NYC Transit Forums.

It's getting to the point that I visit only to see how infrequent the posts are becoming and when I receive a notification that a post needs moderation.

With members like Harry, Zach, East New York, Pablo (P-rad M.), NX Express, B35 Via Church, IND Man, Shortline Bus, LRG, Yuki, Joe, and others. I'm tending to make NYC Transit Forums more and more my home.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I think it's safe to say this, at least, has been a bad week for Rider Diaries. As of 4:24pm, there've been seven (7) posts and essentially four of them have been useless since Halloween. That would average out to a single post per day except that one (1) post occurred on November 2d, and four (4) of the posts occurred today by the O.P. of this thread here at NYC Transit Forums.

It's getting to the point that I visit only to see how infrequent the posts are becoming and when I receive a notification that a post needs moderation.

With members like Harry, Zach, East New York, Pablo (P-rad M.), NX Express, B35 Via Church, IND Man, Shortline Bus, LRG, Yuki, Joe, and others. I'm tending to make NYC Transit Forums more and more my home.

Hey EE Bway Local

Its Q89LCL from RD but

As we don't do much there anymore since I've been founded there 10/29/08 and still to this Day Mod it, its

A dying site that makes my position so boring that is what's the point of loging in there to continue posting when its no activity.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I've tried to keep the site going but its not possible so

I'm drawing my line of slowly phasing of posting there.

Even MegaWhiz don't post much anymore so its moot point.

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/topics/347349/1

that's where it all started.

Let me tell you all a little something about this R44 creep. He was the bigest douche I've ever delt with. even wrose than Brian some days.

It was already over at that point. The straw that broke the camel's back was when John Villanueva (Union Square) quit in January 2005. Then, R44 flamed the remaining members and Belmont banned them instead of R44. I also noticed a guy named 1/9 Broadway Local in the thread you cited. He was almost as bad as Weinberg. I got into it with that loser at Transitspot.com.

Thanks for the shoutout. I stumbled upon this place back in May of 2009 and if it weren't for here then I would have never found out about the R40 Slant retirement...I would have literally missed out on riding my favorite trains for the last time and imagine how livid I would be!!!

What I'm saying is, when we sign up for these transit forum message boards, it's so we can spread our knowledge and insights so others can gain what you have learned, and it's a never-ending cycle.

Internet is serious business...I really think it is, because with the shit that goes on like cyberbullying and whatnot it can affect the psyche of an individual and the next thing you know they go haywire. You gotta be careful what you say on line because it's basically on here FOREVER. I'm not ignorant like I was prior to this summer. I said certain things I wasn't proud of because I let my emotions override my ability to think straight...cursing people out, taking things to a personal level, and so much more, and I'm not proud of those one bit.

With the craziness that a lot of us endured overtime on these boards, SubChat, RD AND NYCTF included, I can only imagine how sane and rational a lot of us have stayed...or at least tried to, he he.

Archived