Subway Back Then, Compare To Now

Daniel The Cool

aah... my first yrs on the subway were something...

1997-2 yrs old! rode the subway for the first time! (F) train(R46) going to Coney Island with my mom and cousin and sis for the 4th of july-AWESOME!!!

1998-Rode the F train for the second Time-More AWESOME!!!

2001-Rode the (A) , (2) , and (4) trains for the first time. R32 (A) Redbird (2) and R62/A (4).

2003-Rode the (E) train. MY VERY FIRST (E) TRAIN WAS R46! I didn't even knw it rare until the next time I rode it and noticed it was all R32s

2004-(1) , (3) and (7) trains

2005-2006-(G) and (R) trains

and now the subway changed so much and now I can care less cause I have other things to worry about!♥-_-

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1997-2 yrs old! rode the subway for the first time! (F) train(R46) going to Coney Island with my mom and cousin and sis for the 4th of july-AWESOME!!!

2001-Rode the (A) , (2) , and (4) trains for the first time. R32 (A) Redbird (2) and R62/A (4).

2003-Rode the (E) train. MY VERY FIRST (E) TRAIN WAS R46! I didn't even knw it rare until the next time I rode it and noticed it was all R32s

and now the subway changed so much and now I can care less cause I have other things to worry about!♥-_-

35.jpg

All I remember is I think I went to old South Ferry once, the station was built on a curve and there were chains before the edge of the platform... or some other IRT station.

I started riding when the R10's were the 'new trains'. The fare was still a nickel. The IRT, BMT, and IND were all owned by the city, but were operated as separate entities. There was still elevated trains on Third Avenue in Manhattan. The Rockaway line was still part of the LIRR.

There were no sealed-beam headlights. Conductors on most trains had to brave the elements to control the doors. There were no Train Operators....all trains were operated by MotorMEN.-_-...etc.

boy your very young you missed out on alot being that i saw the transit system in the early 80s, a hole lot has changed since than

lets see if i can remember a few:

(-_-(Mx)(W) via West End

(D)(Mx)(Q6Av)<Q> via Brighton

(F) via 53 St

(B)(Q6Av) via 63 St (21 St/Queensbridge - Rockefeller Center)

(Q6Av) via 6 Av

(N)(R) via Broadway (only those two)

(Q) via Broadway Exp/via Whitehall St on weekends

(G) via Queens Blvd (Smith-9 Sts was the South Terminal before it was extended to Church Av)

(B) to and from 168 St

(C) via Concourse during Rush Hours

(9) before it got discontinued

(J)(Mx) replaced (N)(R) in Brooklyn

(Q)(W) replaced (N)(R) in Queens/Manhattan

(1) replaced (3) in Brooklyn

(E) replaced (C) in Brooklyn

i remember taking these cars on the following lines too:

All Redbirds: 2/4/5/6/7

R32: A/B/C/E/F/G/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/R/S via Franklin Av/S via 63 St Shuttle/S via 6 Av Shuttle/V/W

R38: A/B/C/V

R40: A/B/C/D/L/M/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/W

R42: A/B/C/D/E/F/G/J/L/M/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/R/Svia Nassau St Shuttle/V/W/Z

R44: A/C/S via Rockaway Pk/SIR

R46: A/B/D/E/F/G/R/S via Rockaway Pk Shuttle/S via Grand St Shuttle/V

R62: 3/4

R62A: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/9

R68: B/D/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/S via Franklin Av/W

R68A: B/D/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/S via West End Shuttle/W

R110B: C

R142: 2/4/5

R142A: 4/5/6

R143: L/M

R160: E/F/G/J/L/M/M/N/Q/R/V/W/Z

I remember taking the R40's to the Museum of Natural History

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I took the (JFK) Train to the Plane when my family was heading to JFK to take the plane to Disney.

Not to get O/T, but I remember seeing a Flxible in downtown Brooklyn some time in the mid or late 1980's.

IMO, the transit museum was much better before it was renovated in 2003. There used to be a tiny model train exhibit with a R62a (1) train

I used to think that the R44 was a broken R46.

I always hated R32's, even when I was a child. I always preferred the (F) over the (E) since it had the "newer" R46's.

There was this brochure that talked about the R110A and R110B, but I lost it. It had a whole bunch of pictures of the interior and exterior (if anyone has it, I'll buy it for $20). Speaking of the R110B, I saw a R110B (C) train at West 4th Street back in 1999. I tried to convince my brother to take it, but the train was crush loaded and we need to take the (E). To this day, I still regret not riding the R110B.

When I headed to middle school, I remember seeing the RTS buses with cushioned seats along Merrick Blvd. Even back then I was intrigued by the express bus. I also remember the MCI Classics on the QM21.

I'm not going to get into the whole (F) via 53rd thing.

During the first few years I attended high school, the Redbirds were still on the (2) line. Sometimes I would take the (2) to 14 Street and then catch the (F) to Queens.

The first time I saw the PATH terminal at the World Trade Center, I was mesmerized. I remember the giant underground mall. This was around 93/94.

I remember when R42s dominated the Nassua St Lines.

I have memories of R42 M Trains and R42 J trains. I grew up with these cars and that is why they are my favorite. I have of a couple memories of a R42 L and R40 slant L. I took a R40 slant N once from canal to 42nd. On the way back I took a R32 on one of the Broadway lines back down to Canal. I have tons of memories of riding redbirds on the 7. I wish i was a couple years older and became a railfan earlier because then I would have more memories from the good ol SMEE dominant subway. lol

Mine is the same as Luis1985 for the most part, Bolded my additions, Italics are the one I didn't see.

R30: A/C/M

ML Redbirds: 2/4/5/6/7

WF Redbirds: 2/4/6/7

R32 Pre Overhaul: N/R

R32: A/B/C/E/F/G/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/R/S Franklin/S 63 St-Bway/S 63St-6 Av /V/W

R38: A/B/C/E/V

R40: A/B/C/D/J/L/M/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/W

R40M/42: A/B/C/D/E/F/G/J/L/M/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/R/S Nassau/V/W/Z

R44 Pre Overhaul: A

R46 Pre Overhaul: E/F/N/R

R46: A/B/C/D/E/F/G/R/S Rockaway Pk Shuttle/S Grand St Shuttle/V

R62: 1/2/3/4

R62A: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/9

R68: B/D/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/S via Franklin Av/W

R68A: B/D/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/S via West End Shuttle/W

R110A: 2

R110B: A/C

R142: 1/2/3/4/5/6

R142A: 2/4/5/6

R143: L/M

R160: A/E/F/G/J/L/M/M/N/Q/R/V/W/Z

My very first memory of the subway was riding a battered, graffiti-scarred R21 on the (3) when I was still an anklebiter...

An elementary school trip on the (1) when the lights still winked out as the train passed over gaps in the 3rd rail...

Riding to high school on the (2) every morning and getting on those crush-loaded Redbirds...

Getting off from my seasonal Toys R Us gig (I still can't go into one of those stores without traumatic flashbacks!) up in Co-op City, waiting an eternity at Gun Hill Road, and getting on a (2) train home... I'd been riding those Redbirds all my life by then (senior year of high school), but that winter, those trains grew on me for sure.

When I'd come home for breaks from college, I'd take the (7) out to Queens for White Castle partly because that was the last place in the city I could count on finding a Redbird. The (7) still isn't the same...

As a kid, I knew the slants as starwars trains because of the futuristic look they had.

And before they were GOH'ed, the slants made a Darth Vader breathing sound when the brakes were released (all 40s made that sound, slant and modified-front). Truly, they were the Star Wars trains. There really was a Darth Vader-look to the slants.

My first memory of riding the subway was riding a graffiti-ed wreck on the (2) train from Burke Avenue, which was my home station and also in a state of disrepair. My family and I went to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I was 3 at the time, so it was 1981. I remember the lights going off after every station and coming back on again and the emergency brake cords swaying as the train picked up speed. It was the first memory, but it wasn't my favorite one. Those would have to be the rides I took on the pre-GOH R32s, 40s and 42s that were the mainstay of the (D) in the early to mid-80s. My parents preferred to take the (D) even though we lived much closer to the (2), because the (D) had a much faster ride into Manhattan and newer and somewhat cleaner trains. I definitely preferred them over the look-alike cars of the IRT. I couldn't tell an R40M from an R42 at the time, but I liked them for their big railfan windows, blue front doors and clear, colorful front route signs. If those signs were working, you knew what train would be coming from far away. I also liked the 32s for their blue front and side-doors and their picture windows. They didn't have the big front route signs like the 40s and 42s had, but they too were clearer and more colorful than the IRT car signs. Most of them still had their black-and-white 1950s front and side route signs. The side signs were the worst because they didn't have the route number on them. Of course that all changed when the single-unit cars (R12-22) were retired and the married pair cars (R26-36) were rebuilt into the Redbirds. That's when we started taking the (2) (and (5)) more often again.

The subway back then had all the great cars: SMEE's (R32's, R38's, R40/M's, R42's). I used to love riding on the (E) Queens Blvd Express flying in an R32 or R42, it was awesome.

In the old days, you could have the front window of almost every line...

Now a days those :tdown: R160's replaced all of that...

the only lines with a front Window are the Southbound (7)<7>, the (J)(Z) & (C) (Which doesn't have good railfan Windows because they never clean them).

Now, I know this is off topic, but I think the corona set was now taken off the (1) so theres no more RFW on the (1). did they really take it off? I havent seen it but I heard rumors its still there :P...

When I Was Born I Used To Take The (2) And (3) Which I Called Redbird And Skinny Three Then 9/11 Happen I Got Used To Taking The (1) Then South Ferry Reopened And The (2) Ran Express And (3) Returned And Everyday Since 2000 Ive Took The (L) On The "Curved Trains" Lol And Then Those Stupid R143 Cars Came I Was Angry But Happy For The R142 Cars. Then I Hit 3rd Grade I Took The (4)<4>(5)<5> To School Realized They Were Slow I Took The (:P(D)(F)(N)(Q)<Q>(R) And (W) To School Than The <Q> Was Discontinued And (W) Was Cut Back To Whitehall. I Used To Say Yes Because On The (N) I Used To Have The Same Conductor Everyday Even On The Curved Cars And Fat Cars (R68) Sometimes I Took The (L) To Lorimer St And Take The (G) On Those Dirty R46 Cars :mad: Or I Toke The (A) Then (C) Home.Then I Moved To The Bronx And Took The (6)<6> Everyday Since On Dem R142A Cars.

When I Was Born I Used To Take The (2) And (3) Which I Called Redbird And Skinny Three Then 9/11 Happen I Got Used To Taking The (1) Then South Ferry Reopened And The (2) Ran Express And (3) Returned And Everyday Since 2000 Ive Took The (L) On The "Curved Trains" Lol And Then Those Stupid R143 Cars Came I Was Angry But Happy For The R142 Cars. Then I Hit 3rd Grade I Took The (4)<4>(5)<5> To School Realized They Were Slow I Took The (:P(D)(F)(N)(Q)<Q>(R) And (W) To School Than The <Q> Was Discontinued And (W) Was Cut Back To Whitehall. I Used To Say Yes Because On The (N) I Used To Have The Same Conductor Everyday Even On The Curved Cars And Fat Cars (R68) Sometimes I Took The (L) To Lorimer St And Take The (G) On Those Dirty R46 Cars :mad: Or I Toke The (A) Then (C) Home.Then I Moved To The Bronx And Took The (6)<6> Everyday Since On Dem R142A Cars.

Now The Best Cars Will Be The R12,15,17,21,22,26,27,29,30,32,33,36,WF,38,40,40M,42,44,46,62,62A,68,68A,110A,110B,142,142A,Low V, And Vintage BMT And IND Fleet

The Worst Cars Are The R143

And 50/50 On The R160,And A Cars

Mine is the same as Luis1985 for the most part, Bolded my additions, Italics are the one I didn't see.

R30: A/C/M

ML Redbirds: 2/4/5/6/7

WF Redbirds: 2/4/6/7

R32 Pre Overhaul: N/R

R32: A/B/C/E/F/G/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/R/S Franklin/S 63 St-Bway/S 63St-6 Av /V/W

R38: A/B/C/E/V

R40: A/B/C/D/J/L/M/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/W

R40M/42: A/B/C/D/E/F/G/J/L/M/N/Q/Q/Q Diamond/R/S Nassau/V/W/Z

R44 Pre Overhaul: A

R46 Pre Overhaul: E/F/N/R

R46: A/B/C/D/E/F/G/R/S Rockaway Pk Shuttle/S Grand St Shuttle/V