Subway Back Then, Compare To Now

Daniel The Cool

Some stuff I remember when I was younger:

Redbird R30 on the (C)

(C) terminating on 145 lower level and the (B) going to 168 Street (I also remember the Yankee Stadium subway race had the (C)(D) and (4) )

(9) train only stopping at 145

I vaguely remember R32s on the (D)

Redbirds on the IRT

(E) and (F) going through the 53rd Street tube.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, am I feeling old or what? I remember when the subway fare was 20 cents and the tokens were the size of a dime. Back in the '60's all of the stations used incandescent lighting and many of the elevated platforms were made of wood.

I remember watching with fascination the really tall dudes just barely clearing the overhead fans on the arnines, triplexes, etc. I never did see anyone get caught, however.

I remember the Broadway line being so much more efficient and speedy than it is now.

I remember the debut of the R32 Brightliners and was thrilled when it finally made its way onto my beloved 70(M).

I remember when there were no air conditioned cars at all!

I remember watching the Transit Authority let the subways and buses go straight to hell with deferred maintenance. Derailments were practically everyday occurences as were the graffiti (some of it actually quite good).

I remember really, really long train lines such as the Rockaway Park 70(E) and the Brighton 70(J).

I could keep on, but the general idea is that this is a radically different transit system now than it was decades ago. In some ways it's a better system now and in other ways, it was better back in the day.

"B" actually stood for "Bridge", but it is correct that the "Q" was for "Queens".

I caught the end of the R1-9's (and possibly Lov V's) on the mainlines ((D), etc), and then grew up in the height of the grafitti era. It was so unusual seeing the clean trains in the late '80's.

The backbone of the system were silver and blue painted carbon steel trains (some still painted in the other two colors), and 32's were still on the "new" side. 40's and 42's, had the fresh, new cool blue interiors and A/C smell, and when the 44's came out, it was a totally different experience, and made it feel like being on a railroad.

When I entered the world, my mother would often take the subway to get into the city. Oh man, it was so much different back then with the Redbirds, the slants and much more. I certainly remember riding the (9) in the old South Ferry Loop. I also remembered riding the Redbirds on (2)(4)(5)(6) and the (7). One other thing I look back on are the days before the (V)(W) and (M).

But now, with the R160's everywhere (well, almost), the subway system has changed a lot especially after 9/11. I still like the subway system now because I learned so much about it on this forum.

However I did like changing the knobs on the redbirds(I would change them back b4 getting off the train).I don't remember redbirds on any line but the (4),(2).I remember seeing R62A's on the (6) I believe they had yellow stickers*I think*.Don't remember how service was back then.First time I saw an R142A was on the (4) testing every weekday they would meet up at Burnside Avenue around 545-6pm.I would be on street level and I knew an R142A was coming b\c they were so bright compared to the 62 and redbird lighting I used to say "bright lights".Good 'ol days and 1st encounter with an R-142 was also on the (4) I knew the difference b\c the 142's had a black strip where the interior display is and they blinked as the 142A had a much lighter strip and they didn't blink they moved swiftly.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, so I started riding the subway when I was pretty young.

- (9) train was still around (but I never rode it!)

- <Q> was still around (I liked the older Q sign with the curved tail sticking out...looked cool)

- Redbirds were still around (the (7) used them). Loved the fans!

- Slants were still around, and the B, N and R lines had more R32s.

- 4th Avenue-9th Street station was still dangerous as all hell (people got raped and shot there on a seemingly weekly basis)

- Some cars were still sprayed up, but a lot of them were clean.

- We used tokens!

- The disgusting South Ferry loop station was still around (though it was reconstructed so recently, everyone should remember that)

That's all I can remember.

I was born in 1991, so...

*Redbirds were on the IRT lines, but I mainly saw them on the (2), (4), (5),and (7).

*R62/A's were on the (1), (3), (4), and (7).

*My mom told me about the (C) going to Bedford Park Blvd at one point, before the (B) took over. I never knew what that was the case until I researched it years ago.

*Diamonds also meant rush hour extensions. No longer in effect since 2004 or 2005. <5>/<A>/<B>/<E>/<M>

*The orange (Q6Av) that used to run with the (D) Brighton Local via Brighton Express before its elimination in 2001.

*The (:P used to go to West End.

*The September 2001 chaos that suspended a few lines, and extended some lines that replaced suspended lines.

*The Coney Island rehabilitation and the closure of Manhattan Bridge last decade.

*No BMT Broadway express service. I thought that there were no express tracks at all (LOL).

*(Z) ended at Broadway Junction, (J) ended at Myrtle Avenue, (Mx) had 2 sections: Metropolitan to Marcy, Chambers St to Bay Parkway (rush hours only), and the (s)huttle from Essex to Chambers (weekends) or Broad St (weekdays).

*The (:P had many branched northern terminals (Queensbridge/57th St/168 - Washington Hts/145th/Bedford Park)

*The (9), I thought it was pure local, sort of like the current Bx40/42 (LOL)

*The Franklin (S) was closed, and I knew nothing about Dean Street.

*Yellow (S) went to Queensbridge via the BMT Broadway line, replacing the (B)/(Q6Av) for a year in 1998.

According to my dad, I loved the subway from the time I could walk. These are some of my memories:

Born in BK, Botanic Gardens was my home stop. I remember Dean Street, 32's on the Franklin (S), gettin the paper transfer for the (A)(C), waiting for the train and seeing the (JFK) fly by on the express. And when we took a different route home, I remember seeing the (N) pass by on the Manhattan bridge south tracks.

I remember planning out trips so that we don't have to take the bus to avoid paying a second fare. Or paper bus transfers that listed all the available transfers for the route on the bottom, torn off at a given hour on the top. I remeber blue MetroCards.

I remember time-saver ten packs.

Moving out to rockaway, I remember waiting for the "red (C) train" at B90 street

I remember the R110b; when it ran perfectly into the city one day, and stranded us out at Broad Channel the next.

They did clean up alot during the 90s, and much has changed over time. It's amazing how every decade is it's own era of change.

We had vending machines on the platforms. From these, you could purchase treats such as Zagnut Bars, Planter's Peanut Bars, Chiclets Gum. Some stations (such as Roosevelt Avenue (70(EE) 70(GG) 70(E) 70(F)) had Nedicks where you could purchase hot dogs and orange drinks.

Third and Webster Avenues (until April 29, 1973) had service with the Third Avenue El (the 70(8)). With the 70(2)/70(5), this formed a loop: You could board an 70(8) train at East 149th Street, ride via Third and Webster Avenues and transferring at Gun Hill Road to a 70(2) or a 70(5) train return to East 149th Street riding via White Plains Road, Southern Boulevard, and Westchester Avenue, and it was 99% elevated. 210th Street-Williamsbridge was a cool station.

When the BX55 replaced the Third Avenue El, there were special booths at Third Avenue-East 149th Street for the transfer between the 2/5 and the BX55.

The Concourse had the 70(CC) local and 70(D) express. At 167th Street, you would walk downstairs to transfer to the BX35 which stopped at the trolley station in the underpass then

Eighth Avenue had the 70(AA). This train ran all times except rush hours. Rush hours the 70(AA) turned into the 70(:( from 168th Street-Broadway and Eighth Avenue was served by the 70(CC). During Middays and Evenings, the 70(AA) was the only local on CPW as the 70(B) served 57th Street-Sixth Avenue, which was a terminal station then.

The 70(QB) (today the (Q)) was down. The 70(QB) ran rush hours, and basically was like a supplement to the 70(N) which was the Broadway Express and the 70(M) which was the Brighton Local. The 70(D) had a split service. During rush hours and middays, the 70(D) was the Brighton Express and terminated at Brighton Beach; During nights and weekends when the 70(M) didn't run, the 70(D) was the Brighton Local and served Coney Island.

The 70(EE)! This train ran Monday November 27, 1967 through Friday August 27, 1976. It ran from 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Whitehall via Queens Boulevard and Broadway Local weekdays normal hours. R1-R9s and R16s ran on this line.

The 70(GG) was the Queens Boulevard Local running 24-7 as the 70(E) ran express nights then. The F ran Hillside Avenue express weekdays normal hours and Queens Boulevard express with the E nights then.

Until Sunday May 11, 1975, the Culver Shuttle (part of the original Culver Line route) provided service to Ninth Avenue Lower Level (connecting with the B), Fort Hamilton Parkway, Thirteenth Avenue, and Ditmas Avenue (connecting with the F).

Stations, largely, were dimly lit. IIRC, 15th Street-Prospect Park station was lit with a color that resembled the $500 Monopoly bill.

The subway had variety: I.R.T. had R12s, R14s, R15s, R17s, R21s, R22s, R26s, R28s, R29s, R33 M.L.'s, R33 W.F., and R36 W.F.; B.M.T./IND. had R1-R9s, R10s, R11/R34s, R16s, R27s, R30s, R32s, R38s and the R40 Slants and Mods, R42s, R44s and R46s were the new cars.

The R40s originally featured a large color square with a large capital letter in white. On the F, they were cool with the magenta square and the white F.

Subway cars until the R40s featured end signs with a small local/ express indicator, a square with the route letter or number and a rectangle with the destination. This began to be ruined when the route letter was shown in a large bullet.

The R12s never showed 8 for the Third Avenue El; rather, SHUTTLE was displayed in the square.

In 1972, the TA introduced a new map and until 1979 we used the colorful Massimo Vignelli map.

The Second Avenue Subway! Mayor John Lindsay and Governor Rockerfeller broke ground at East 102d Street and Second Avenue on October 27,1972. The fiscal crises hit in 1975, and the SAS was left out of the MTA's Capital Budget in 1976. Though they led nowhere, four sections under construction were completed. The V would've been a 14 1/2 mile long line from Whitehall to The Bronx and would've featured a new subway tunnel under the Harlem.

We paid our fare by token.

(Slightly off topic): PATH opened the brand new Journal Square Transportation Center, replacing the old Journal Square H & M/PATH station and Journal Square bus area.

Pavonia Avenue-Newport was Pavonia Avenue and along with Exchange Place had the original H & M look, and Pavonia Avenue, along with Christopher Street was open only rush hours, middays, and evenings.

The PA-2 cars were new and the PA-1 cars were still almost new. The K Class cars were still in service, and PATH still had some Black Cars, now painted a bright yellow, in work service.

Fare was 30 cents then 50 cents (change).

Well apparently, my 1st words where "Mami" "Papi" and then "Train"...I've been in love with them ever since I was a baby, according to my uncle I would point down at the grates on the sidewalk when ever we heard a train under us...and this is before I could talk.

When I 1st started riding the subway from what I could remember

the (2) and the (5) were all redbirds, the (4) & (6) were 1/2 R-62 & 1/2 Redbird

I had no idea what the tracks on the South Side of the Manhattan Bridge were used for and was puzzeled by the fact that the Broadway Line had unused express tracks (as a child I didn't make the connection that the South Side of the bridge lead to the Bway Exp tracks)

Bowery,Canal and Chambers street stations on the Nassau St line scared the hell out of me.

I remember finding an old subway map at my uncle's house and thinking it was a misprint because it showed the (Mx)<Q> on the Brighton Line going to Coney Island, and had an (H) as a shuttle to the Rockaways. I was also confused as to why there was a (K) train.

In my young mind any parts of the system I had not ridden on were above ground in my head. I remember thinking the (L) went outside in Brooklyn, the (C)(D) went outside in Bronx and the (A)(C) went outside right after Broadway Junction, to much dissapointment I was wrong.

(B)and(Q) went to 21st Street Queensbridge

I thought the abandoned local tracks at Hoyt-Schmerhorn were closed off due to some terrible wreck and that the tracks lead to a train graveyard along the Brooklyn Waterfront.

I thought the LIRR and Metro-North M-1'S/M-3's were just super long and super fast versions of R-46's and thought for the longest that their interior was just like subway cars. Same with NJT Arrows.

We paid for the subway with tokens.

I loved the assortment of colors on the Qns Blvd Line and thought (E)(F)(G)(R) just looked so sexy together on the map.

(9) & (Z) trains were listed on the map...but never seen in real life.

I was amazed when I first seen the R-110B...and even more taken back when I rode the R-110A.

R-38's and R-32's on the (A)

An occasional R-32 on the (G)

Loved the slant R-40's which were on the (:((M) and (L)

Around 10 I started taking my interest in subways a bit more seriously, and I remember my 1st book was "New York City Subway Cars" by James Clifford Greller, the cover had 5 R-62's lined up in 207th st shops signed up for the (1) when I first opened it I was completely amazed, my father had to damn near carry me out the store. He bought it for me a week later and I studied that thing like it was the bible....after that I begin buying any type of books or videos I could find on transit systems around the world...developing somewhat of a library that I still have to this day...and the rest is history.

We had vending machines on the platforms. From these, you could purchase treats such as Zagnut Bars, Planter's Peanut Bars, Chiclets Gum. Some stations (such as Roosevelt Avenue (70(EE) 70(GG) 70(E) 70(F)) had Nedicks where you could purchase hot dogs and orange drinks.

Third and Webster Avenues (until April 29, 1973) had service with the Third Avenue El (the 70(8)). With the 70(2)/70(5), this formed a loop: You could board an 70(8) train at East 149th Street, ride via Third and Webster Avenues and transferring at Gun Hill Road to a 70(2) or a 70(5) train return to East 149th Street riding via White Plains Road, Southern Boulevard, and Westchester Avenue, and it was 99% elevated. 210th Street-Williamsbridge was a cool station.

When the BX55 replaced the Third Avenue El, there were special booths at Third Avenue-East 149th Street for the transfer between the 2/5 and the BX55.

The Concourse had the 70(CC) local and 70(D) express. At 167th Street, you would walk downstairs to transfer to the BX35 which stopped at the trolley station in the underpass then

Eighth Avenue had the 70(AA). This train ran all times except rush hours. Rush hours the 70(AA) turned into the 70(:( from 168th Street-Broadway and Eighth Avenue was served by the 70(CC). During Middays and Evenings, the 70(AA) was the only local on CPW as the 70(B) served 57th Street-Sixth Avenue, which was a terminal station then.

The 70(QB) (today the (Q)) was down. The 70(QB) ran rush hours, and basically was like a supplement to the 70(N) which was the Broadway Express and the 70(M) which was the Brighton Local. The 70(D) had a split service. During rush hours and middays, the 70(D) was the Brighton Express and terminated at Brighton Beach; During nights and weekends when the 70(M) didn't run, the 70(D) was the Brighton Local and served Coney Island.

The 70(EE)! This train ran Monday November 27, 1967 through Friday August 27, 1976. It ran from 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Whitehall via Queens Boulevard and Broadway Local weekdays normal hours. R1-R9s and R16s ran on this line.

The 70(GG) was the Queens Boulevard Local running 24-7 as the 70(E) ran express nights then. The F ran Hillside Avenue express weekdays normal hours and Queens Boulevard express with the E nights then.

Until Sunday May 11, 1975, the Culver Shuttle (part of the original Culver Line route) provided service to Ninth Avenue Lower Level (connecting with the B), Fort Hamilton Parkway, Thirteenth Avenue, and Ditmas Avenue (connecting with the F).

Stations, largely, were dimly lit. IIRC, 15th Street-Prospect Park station was lit with a color that resembled the $500 Monopoly bill.

The subway had variety: I.R.T. had R12s, R14s, R15s, R17s, R21s, R22s, R26s, R28s, R29s, R33 M.L.'s, R33 W.F., and R36 W.F.; B.M.T./IND. had R1-R9s, R10s, R11/R34s, R16s, R27s, R30s, R32s, R38s and the R40 Slants and Mods, R42s, R44s and R46s were the new cars.

The R40s originally featured a large color square with a large capital letter in white. On the F, they were cool with the magenta square and the white F.

Subway cars until the R40s featured end signs with a small local/ express indicator, a square with the route letter or number and a rectangle with the destination. This began to be ruined when the route letter was shown in a large bullet.

The R12s never showed 8 for the Third Avenue El; rather, SHUTTLE was displayed in the square.

In 1972, the TA introduced a new map and until 1979 we used the colorful Massimo Vignelli map.

The Second Avenue Subway! Mayor John Lindsay and Governor Rockerfeller broke ground at East 102d Street and Second Avenue on October 27,1972. The fiscal crises hit in 1975, and the SAS was left out of the MTA's Capital Budget in 1976. Though they led nowhere, four sections under construction were completed. The V would've been a 14 1/2 mile long line from Whitehall to The Bronx and would've featured a new subway tunnel under the Harlem.

We paid our fare by token.

(Slightly off topic): PATH opened the brand new Journal Square Transportation Center, replacing the old Journal Square H & M/PATH station and Journal Square bus area.

Pavonia Avenue-Newport was Pavonia Avenue and along with Exchange Place had the original H & M look, and Pavonia Avenue, along with Christopher Street was open only rush hours, middays, and evenings.

The PA-2 cars were new and the PA-1 cars were still almost new. The K Class cars were still in service, and PATH still had some Black Cars, now painted a bright yellow, in work service.

Fare was 30 cents then 50 cents (change).

Wow, finally someone who goes back to my era. I remember all of that plus( I've got 14 years on you). Myrtle Ave El. Fulton El from Rockaway Ave to Lefferts. Crossing gates at E. 105th St on the Canarsie line. Most of all I remember the incredible BMT complex between Atlantic Ave and Broadway Junction where you had trackage connecting the Jamaica, Fulton, Canarsie lines and ENY yard. Under that, at Atlantic Ave, you had the LIRR Atlantic branch, and below that, the LIRR Bay Ridge branch. Truly fascinating to a child's eyes and something I'll never forget.

As a young kid back in the days, I never knew about the train types. I just cared if they had a window or not. I would usually beg to go on the R40 Slant (N) instead of the (F). The window, the speed that makes your ears pop in the 6Oth Street Tunnel..incredible. God how i miss the redbirds..they were my favorite train since I took the (7) most of the time. When the R62A's came in, I was sad..a long history gone....Back in the days, the MTA was awesome with railfan windows..but now were stuck in "clean-state of the art" trains, which are all dull and don't give the subway variation.

However I did like changing the knobs on the redbirds(I would change them back b4 getting off the train). I don't remember redbirds on any line but the (4),(2). I remember seeing R62A's on the (6) I believe they had yellow stickers*I think*. Don't remember how service was back then. First time I saw an R142A was on the (4) testing every weekday they would meet up at Burnside Avenue around 545-6pm. I would be on street level and I knew an R142A was coming b\c they were so bright compared to the 62 and redbird lighting I used to say "bright lights". Good 'ol days and 1st encounter with an R-142 was also on the (4) I knew the difference b\c the 142's had a black strip where the interior display is and they blinked as the 142A had a much lighter strip and they didn't blink they moved swiftly.

fixt*

The (6) had yellow stickers for Westchester yard. (4) had orange stickers. (2)(5) had black and green I think.

You're correct, Grand Concourse. The (2) and (5) had green and black bullets during the Redbird era.

Anyways, I was born back in 1982, and of course, there was still plenty of graffiti on the trains. My mom rarely took me on the subway as an infant and toddler because she was afraid of me inhaling all those paint chemicals, so whenever I had a doctor's appointment, we just took the Bx19. I didn't start riding the subway regularly until I turned eight, when the (2) and (5) were already Redbirds and the graffiti was history. I always referred to the R62 (6) trains as the "nice" trains LOL. Ever since I remembered riding the subway, I can't forget discovering cool places like MSG, Times Square, Herald Square, Coney Island, and others for the first time. :cool:

And EE Broadway Local, I never realized until about a year ago that the subway bullet colors were different in the 70s. I wish my Dad had a subway map from those days. B)

I like back then, you could walk under 42nd st IND from uptown to downtown.

See conductors on the GG standing in between cars to close them.

Stores at most major stations.

Guessing your stop since graffiti covered the windows.

Things were different, people engaged each other up until the Walkman came along.

Transit police was some cool cops.

Dim lights , wooden platforms and big heavy wooden turnstyles.

Someone always pulling the emergency brakes.

It was a city a kid could hang out all day, not no more.

S/F,

CEYA!

I have some memories from the late 1960's going from Boston to college in Bethlehem PA I would take the Penn Central to GCT (this was pre-Amtrak, most trains from/to Boston still went to/from Grand Central) then the shuttle and the IRT 7th Ave. down to Penn Sta to get the train to Philly. I remember the signage was not too good for an out of towner. One time I took the IND for variety and remember seeing an R9 or R10 going by on the express track, the train I got was brand new, must have been an R42 or R44 I think, and it was the first air conditioned subway car I ever remember being on :P I recall there were long lines to buy tokens, that is one thing that has improved, with the metrocard.

Growing up in Queens in the 70's I was lucky enough to ride the R9's,R16's,R27/30's and the R42's on the J almost every day.....I absolutely loved the varity of trains back then.

The J train pulling into 168th st and the whole platform would be shaking. You could not hear the person next to you.

S/F,

CEYA!

Oh yes. We had windows that lowered from the top. On the R10s, these lowered on the outside. And railfan windows, too. On the R15s, R16s, and R17s these were round (the door windows on the R15s were four round windows) and the R40 Slants had the best railfan windows.

The R1-R9s featured cream rattan seats with blue stripes.

-I remember it used to be the (N) & (R) only on Broadway and back then the almost all the local stations on the line used to look like how the 4th Ave local stations look now.

-No matter what day or time it was, it was always called the (1) & (9) trains.

-The (J) and (L) trains used to be a lot less safer back then.

-Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center didn't stink back then like they do now.

-The 63rd St Shuttle and <5>.

-Grand Central on the (7) used to look like a dungeon before it was renovated.

-Transferring at Canal St between the (R) & (J) was a scary experience back when the express station was abandoned.

-Panhandlers selling cheap batteries and toys!

What jumps to my mind off the bat:

Riding the R110As on the (2), and I THINK on the (5) (but only once on the latter). These trains, as well as the R110Bs are closest to my age than any other train out there today, but I never rode or saw a 110B

Lenox Avenue Rehab forced the (2) onto the Lexington Avenue Line...so the (2) basically cramped the (5)'s style because they now shared the same routing up to Dyre Avenue...lol

The (N) used the <N> symbol on weekdays because it ran express in Brooklyn during rush hours.

Coney Island rehab forced the (F), (N) and (Q) trains away...I rode the (Q) on the last day it went to Coney Island before it was cut back to Brighton Beach

Orange (Q6Av)

(C) went to Bedford Park Boulevard during the rush hours while the (:P went to 168th Street on weekdays. Sometimes I think it should return back to this routing though

(F) ran via 53rd Street; now it runs via 63rd Street...to this day some people cannot get over this for who knows why

(G) ran to Forest Hills on weekdays...I remember seeing some 8-car R32 sets on the (G) either in 1999 or 2000...any earlier than 1999 and I probably wouldn't remember it

Eastern Division lines had R40s

(V) and (W) never existed prior to 2001, although one time I saw someone changing a side sign in 2000 and I saw the (W) and I was in WTF mode

(F) ran express along the Culver Viaduct if trackwork necessitated it to or if there was a delay in service

My earliest REAL memories of the subway were back in 1993-1994. At the time, the only lines I had been on were the (1)(2), (4)<4>(5)(6), (A)(E), (J)(Mx)(Z). I didn't know anything about the subway at the time. I always thought it was a mysterious place, because I was forbidden from riding without adult supervision. I was a bus guy, so I was never pressed about riding it anyway. I think my first solo trip was a (J) to Manhattan so I could catch a few Westide Depot 8600 series RTS'. I was real anxious too! I loved the subway after that, but never got into the different car types or anything. I just knew I hated that slant!!! Lol!

Can anybody tell me what cars ran on those lines back then?

Archived