Long Island Bus Looses Critical MTA funding

FamousNYLover

http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/article/695152--long-island-bus-loses-out-on-critical-mta-funding

With no Long Island Bus funding in the (MTA)’s four-year financial plan outlined yesterday, privatization with attendant higher fares and reduced service is a possibility. “Nassau’s economy depends on Long Island Bus. This is not the right time for the (MTA) to pull the plug on the Nassau County subsidy,” said Nassau County Comptroller George Maragos, noting that the county cannot pay more.

Currently, the (MTA) subsidy is $26 million versus Nassau County’s $9.1 million contribution. Maragos said privatization could mean a 20 percent hike on the $2.25 fare. Pat Bowden, president of TWU Local 252, warned of reduced service for 100,000 weekday riders.

Bob Foran, the (MTA)’s Chief Financial Officer, told the (MTA) board that Long Island Bus funding was Nassau County’s responsibility.

–Carly Baldwin contributed to this story.

I think lots of Unlimited MetroCard users going to be furious if they find out it cannot be used on LIB.

I hope private bus company going to make bus route map and schedule page for LIB routes.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Walder wants to do business with Mangano..." Ha.

I'm going to start a countdown to "omg the cngs should go to [MTA bus depot] to retire.." You get it.

Ironically, on the way to class and on the way home, I saw two Orion V CNGs signed as Training Buses. I think they were the same bus, but still....

Godforbid something bad happens other Depots will pick up the slack

I could already see the N4 N6 N20 N21 going to College Pt and Far Rock getting further out Routes

Dont forget the N22/A and the N24. Far Rockaway Depot could get the N32 and the others that head that direction.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/article/695152--long-island-bus-loses-out-on-critical-mta-funding

I think lots of Unlimited MetroCard users going to be furious if they find out it cannot be used on LIB.

I hope private bus company going to make bus route map and schedule page for LIB routes.

This is gonna get ugly really quickly

What a way to end a good week... my birthday was on Monday, I get my laptop working again, not really doing anything in class Tuesday, having a speech during my Micro class, and not really doing anything in English Wednesday...

So much for those three epic trips I was planning. N32 to the (A) to Manhattan, N25 to N20 to the (7), and the N4 to the (E) to WTC... NYCT/MTAB can't take any of LIB's equipment or routes due to union rules.

SMFH

The MTA needs to provide better service and Nassau needs to pay up. However I find it hard to believe that the current service is worth that much millions.

You can use a Minivan for some of those routes, not everything requires a gas thirsty 20 ton bus that forces bass into your chest that comes once an hour.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/ar...al-mta-funding

With no Long Island Bus funding in the ’s four-year financial plan outlined yesterday, privatization with attendant higher fares and reduced service is a possibility. “Nassau’s economy depends on Long Island Bus. This is not the right time for the to pull the plug on the Nassau County subsidy,” said Nassau County Comptroller George Maragos, noting that the county cannot pay more

Nassau County cannot get angry or upset at the (MTA) when their officials all but said they wont pay for LI Bus. Want to privatize? Go ahead and knock yourself out. I'll be enjoying my O7 CNG ride!

Pissing and moaning that they're charging too much while wanting to not pay a cent more than they already do is what the Spanish know as "basura."

You can't possibly think dollar vans can replace the amount of 40 footers that storm down Hempstead Turnpike a day, most of which are packed to the brim leaving Hempstead. The comptroller, in my opinion, is an a[Cummins Orion V passes by] in that saying that Nassau CANNOT pay any more and still wants to keep the level of service we have now, but is right in that privatization will only hurt the bus system and that without state and federal grants, WE will have to pay for a crappier system. All the county cares about are the rich in their land tanks.

Pissing and moaning that they're charging too much while wanting to not pay a cent more than they already do is what the Spanish know as "basura."

You can't possibly think dollar vans can replace the amount of 40 footers that storm down Hempstead Turnpike a day, most of which are packed to the brim leaving Hempstead. The comptroller, in my opinion, is an a[Cummins Orion V passes by] in that saying that Nassau CANNOT pay any more and still wants to keep the level of service we have now, but is right in that privatization will only hurt the bus system and that without state and federal grants, WE will have to pay for a crappier system. All the county cares about are the rich in their land tanks.

That N6 Limited is a hot mess in the mornings, it's usually more packed than the local and the frequency isn't even enough for the ridership, if BARELY.

Take the Nassau students out of the equation (and I don't ride the N6 anymore... thank God) and out of every 3 N6s that roll in at a time, only one will roll out completely packed.

But a good 50% of NCC's twenty-four THOUSAND strong student body take the bus to and from class, myself included. Is it my fault that anyone with a car there will be an ass towards the people that take the bus? No. In return, they have to deal with the police, Public Safety and their strict stance on parking, and how they drive...

It seems like there's nothing we can do. Mangano and his half-assed administration are set on not paying the MTA a dime and ruining the bus system by letting some random company with no experience here in NY try to run it, without Nassau giving the poor saps that take it over ANY MONEY WHATSOEVER. I think Schenck, that guy that ran what is now the N20 to the n27, is still alive. Call him up, let him know what's going on...

That countdown didn't last so long... 7 hours and 12 minutes before someone said the "w" word.

SMFH

The MTA needs to provide better service and Nassau needs to pay up. However I find it hard to believe that the current service is worth that much millions.

You can use a Minivan for some of those routes, not everything requires a gas thirsty 20 ton bus that forces bass into your chest that comes once an hour.

Cough* the N80/81 is a perfect example of a bus that could use 35-foot buses similar to those used on Westchester County Beeline #10, 12 and 16.

Cough* the N80/81 is a perfect example of a bus that could use 35-foot buses similar to those used on Westchester County Beeline #10, 12 and 16.

I don't think that the Bee-Line has any 35 foot buses. I think that they're small buses are 30 feet long.

Archived